Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] The Grinsteads

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
East and West. Or West and East if you will.

Why are they so bloody far apart?

Nothing to do with each other, according to one historical website, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

"The parish of West Grinstead, (fn. 1) which includes the growing village of Partridge Green, and which is noted for its long Roman Catholic tradition, lies midway between Horsham and the north slope of the South Downs. Though the distinguishing prefix is recorded from the mid 13th century, (fn. 2) the parish has no connexion with East Grinstead."

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
Loads and loads of times, says he with tongue firmly in cheek. I'll send you a postcard. :)

I was talking about Hackney to someone and he was joshing me about having to travel by Taxi there. I was earnestly extolling the virtues of the Overground system etc. WHOOSH!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Lower Beeding and Upper Beeding are the wrong way round both in altitude and geography.

This has always vexed me as well.

Nabbed from elsewhere:

"Upper Beeding was originally just a monastic settlement called Beeding. But when a group of monks went to spread their message further inland they created a settlement called Lower Beeding. Lower in the sense of hierarchy, rather that geography. Then, over time, Beeding became Upper Beeding to avoid any confusion between the two."

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
No connection between the Grinsteads except their name which originally meant 'green place' in the early Saxon language. At some point somebody decided two places with the same name was a bit confusing and therefore differentiated them by adding East and West. This can also explain the Hoathlys whose name means 'clearing on heathland'.

The Beedings, however, are connected. Upper Beeding is the original settlement with Lower a later addition being part of the old medieval manor and thus a place where the farmers of Upper sent their pigs to be pastured and fattened in the autumn. In this case Upper means more important and Lower means lesser.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
No connection between the Grinsteads except their name which originally meant 'green place' in the early Saxon language. At some point somebody decided two places with the same name was a bit confusing and therefore differentiated them by adding East and West. This can also explain the Hoathlys whose name means 'clearing on heathland'.

Is the correct answer.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here