Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Green Party...

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
with half the Greens opposed to wage cuts and half for it, I wish they had the nuts to say if we are so divided then we don't have a mandate to run this city - if there is a vote tomorrow, they will be out. Whatever the rights and wrongs of this strike, the state of the streets shames the City (definitely puts the 'dirty' into a dirty weekend in Brighton) and every business dependent on tourism has and will suffer losses the longer this goes on.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
You didn't say please, you weren't wearing a safety hat, you appear to use fossil fuels and I'm damn sure you own a motor vehicle. Disgraceful text.

But to your point, the Green Party will always be the most popular party on Question Time because they will always construct an impossible world. For me, if the doorbell rings with two people then at least I can read the Watchtower, if it's one then I end up with a free dolphin fed on Quorn.

Life isn't so obvious and to bring a desire into mainstream politics is mis-guided. If an F1 car can crash at 170 mph and the driver walk away, why not make all cars from carbon fibre and all crash barriers of rubber. We lose several thousand people a year when we could stop it immediately. We don't because we can't afford it.

To vote green is to turn your back on reality and hope it goes away. So without asterisks, fair point.

One could say that the Green party is the one party which attempts to deal with reality.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
with half the Greens opposed to wage cuts and half for it, I wish they had the nuts to say if we are so divided then we don't have a mandate to run this city - if there is a vote tomorrow, they will be out. Whatever the rights and wrongs of this strike, the state of the streets shames the City (definitely puts the 'dirty' into a dirty weekend in Brighton) and every business dependent on tourism has and will suffer losses the longer this goes on.

Like it or lump it, of course they have a mandate to run the city. I assume that you wish for there to be a General Election purely because the Tory Party in the Commons is split on gay marriage and Europe. Whether you wish for there to be a General Election on all other issues is another matter; the comparison stands up. Parties in power never 100% agree on all issues.

One - they have a very strong support base in central Brighton. I can't see that diminishing too much; not even after his, and not to the point of that many losing seats. Labour and Tories have had their chance, and there is even less trust in them.

Two - to say 'every business [is] dependent on tourism' is ludicrous.

Trigger, stick to horses, mate.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
At least the Green Party stand for something, under these duplicitous political times that is a rare thing and something that we in Brighton should be proud of.

Shame they cannot be honest, and admit that it is communism.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Like it or lump it, of course they have a mandate to run the city. I assume that you wish for there to be a General Election purely because the Tory Party in the Commons is split on gay marriage and Europe. Whether you wish for there to be a General Election on all other issues is another matter; the comparison stands up. Parties in power never 100% agree on all issues.

One - they have a very strong support base in central Brighton. I can't see that diminishing too much; not even after his, and not to the point of that many losing seats. Labour and Tories have had their chance, and there is even less trust in them.

Two - to say 'every business [is] dependent on tourism' is ludicrous.

Trigger, stick to horses, mate.

TLO, quote me on this if you wish after the next council elections in Brighton and Hove - The Green Party will NOT get an overall majority, they will NOT even be the party with the most seats, hopefully they will be consigned to rummaging for scraps at the bottom of the electoral barrel.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Too many outsiders making an amaturist attempt at creating their own Utopia and saving us from inbreeding.

They don't understand our great City or that this dispute is costing the City millions.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I recently wrote to all three Brighton and Hove MPs about the proposed amendment to the Energy Bill.

Caroline Lucas is my MP, but as well as petitioning her and seeking her views I decided to write to Simon Kirby and Mike Weatherley as well. Simon Kirby responded to me immediately via email - in fact we exchanged a couple of emails on the matter - and Mike Weatherley sent a letter of reply in the post one week later.

To date (after 3 weeks) I have had no acknowledgement from Caroline Lucas. This is about the Energy Bill for goodness sake, surely something she cares about, and she is my MP.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I recently wrote to all three Brighton and Hove MPs about the proposed amendment to the Energy Bill.

Caroline Lucas is my MP, but as well as petitioning her and seeking her views I decided to write to Simon Kirby and Mike Weatherley as well. Simon Kirby responded to me immediately via email - in fact we exchanged a couple of emails on the matter - and Mike Weatherley sent a letter of reply in the post one week later.

To date (after 3 weeks) I have had no acknowledgement from Caroline Lucas. This is about the Energy Bill for goodness sake, surely something she cares about, and she is my MP.

Do the Greens read NSC? By total coincidence I have just received a reply from Caroline Lucas.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I'm afraid that appears to be standard Green practice. Last year ( or was it the year before ? ) the council wanted to put allotment fees up. I wrote to Labour, Tory and Green councillors opposing it. Got an immediate response via email from Labour who were also happy to engage in an email conversation. I had email replies from Tory councillors and one even phoned me to discuss things. Did I hear ANYTHING from the Green councillors ? Only AFTER the vote ( which they lost ) and even then it was an email slagging off Labour and the Tories.

The Green Party don't want your views - they want you to follow their ideology without question.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
...and the wrecking ball they've thrown at the Dials. :facepalm:

The Dials puzzles me - the council claim to be broke yet they can afford to alter a junction that was really not a problem AND use expensive materials such as block paving. They've done the same just south of Hove Station - weeks and weeks of work to achieve bugger all except to lay nice expensive block paving.

I'm all for a pleasing look when money is in abundance but the council can't claim to be broke if it can waste money on these sort of schemes.

Last edited:

Wilko 1901

May 7, 2013
Hove
The Dials puzzles me - the council claim to be broke yet they can afford to alter a junction that was really a problem AND use expensive materials such as block paving. They've done the same just south of Hove Station - weeks and weeks of work to achieve bugger all except to lay nice expensive block paving.

I'm all for a pleasing look when money is in abundance but the council can't claim to be broke if it can waste money on these sort of schemes.

The last I heard, they were claiming they had underspent, which is quite an achievement given the amount of our money they have wasted....

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10485900.Brighton_and_Hove_City_Council_s___4_6_million_underspend/

The zebra crossings are a decent idea, but the widening of the pavements with expensive paving and the insertion of a huge roundabout that (allegedly) will only allow single file traffic is baffling to say the least.

So, they claim they have underspent yet are in a pay dispute with one of the most important public services in our City. Kitcat is an incompetent and arrogant :wanker:

An opinion shared by a number of his party members.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
you have the vote
you have feet
use both next time there is an election
but don't be surprised if they get in again

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
you have the vote
you have feet
use both next time there is an election
but don't be surprised if they get in again

I voted last time and used one of my votes for the Green candidate. If I'd realised what a shower of shit they would turn out to be I wouldn't have done so. I won't be voting for them next time !

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
TLO, quote me on this if you wish after the next council elections in Brighton and Hove - The Green Party will NOT get an overall majority, they will NOT even be the party with the most seats, hopefully they will be consigned to rummaging for scraps at the bottom of the electoral barrel.

Happily. They don't have an overall majority now. They won't have one next time. I agree they may not be the party with most seats.

But not everyone gets their political mandate from the Daily Mail-lite (aka The Argus).

My prediction is that the next council will be a Labour / Green coalition.

It's wishful thinking on your part if you think they'll get nothing. You don't go from 62% of the vote in some areas, to losing your seats, especially when the alternatives (Lab and Tory) are so despised and mistrusted in those areas.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I voted last time and used one of my votes for the Green candidate. If I'd realised what a shower of shit they would turn out to be I wouldn't have done so. I won't be voting for them next time !

You keep saying that and you're not fooling anyone.

Even if it were true - what of it? You're in a ward where Greens will never win, it was your big 'ooh, aren't I subversive' protest vote, and your subsequent posts in the intervening two years have proved you knew nothing about what they stood for - and you still don't. Your post there shows it. You've admitted you had no idea what you were doing.

You're a natural UKIP voter, moaning about a left-wing party you claimed you voted for. 'Confused' doesn't come close...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Dials puzzles me - the council claim to be broke yet they can afford to alter a junction that was really not a problem AND use expensive materials such as block paving. They've done the same just south of Hove Station - weeks and weeks of work to achieve bugger all except to lay nice expensive block paving.

So not only do you not understand the Green Party, you don't get local government either.

You're outstanding.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here