Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] The Greatest Night of the Year

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Cats has tanked at the box office taking $ 70 000 000 with a $ 90 000 000 budget. Strangely though the UK box office was £ 12 000 000, very respectable and by far their best market. Not sure what it says about the UK cinema goers though, then again Mrs Brown's Boys awful film took over £ 10 000 000 so we have form

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I haven’t enough contempt for cinema lovies. Overpaid narcissists oozing in hypocrisy. Take your gong and get off. Nothing worse than an Oscar bore using the stage to bang on about climate change or whatever the latest worthy cause the rest of us knew about years ago. Boooo, hissss, booooo!! Same with music industry. Now, the National Heroes Awards is different. That’s worth tuning in for but the Oscars is just insufferable egos desperate for even more attention.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Cats has tanked at the box office taking $ 70 000 000 with a $ 90 000 000 budget. Strangely though the UK box office was £ 12 000 000, very respectable and by far their best market. Not sure what it says about the UK cinema goers though, then again Mrs Brown's Boys awful film took over £ 10 000 000 so we have form

They made a 'Mrs Brown's Boys' Film!

Christ.

I assume they go on holiday somewhere, that's what normally happens.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The awards are pretty much stonewall. Best Actor, Phoenix - Joker, Best Actress, Zellweger - Judy, Best supporting actor, Pitt - Once upon a time in Hollywood, Best supporting actress, Dern - Marriage Story, Best director, Mendes - 1917. I however predict Parasite will win best film and not 1917

Nailed it. Apart from Director. Hope you had a few quid on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Magnificent speech from Joachim Phoenix after his fully deserved best actor gong....

I’m full of so much gratitude now. I do not feel elevated above any of my fellow nominees or anyone in this room, because we share the same love – that’s the love of film. And this form of expression has given me the most extraordinary life. I don’t know where I’d be without it.
But I think the greatest gift that it’s given me, and many people in [this industry] is the opportunity to use our voice for the voiceless. I’ve been thinking about some of the distressing issues that we’ve been facing collectively.

I think at times we feel or are made to feel that we champion different causes. But for me, I see commonality. I think, whether we’re talking about gender inequality or racism or queer rights or indigenous rights or animal rights, we’re talking about the fight against injustice.

We’re talking about the fight against the belief that one nation, one people, one race, one gender, one species, has the right to dominate, use and control another with impunity.
I think we’ve become very disconnected from the natural world. Many of us are guilty of an egocentric world view, and we believe that we’re the centre of the universe. We go into the natural world and we plunder it for its resources. We feel entitled to artificially inseminate a cow and steal her baby, even though her cries of anguish are unmistakeable. Then we take her milk that’s intended for her calf and we put it in our coffee and our cereal.

We fear the idea of personal change, because we think we need to sacrifice something; to give something up. But human beings at our best are so creative and inventive, and we can create, develop and implement systems of change that are beneficial to all sentient beings and the environment.

I have been a scoundrel all my life, I’ve been selfish. I’ve been cruel at times, hard to work with, and I’m grateful that so many of you in this room have given me a second chance. I think that’s when we’re at our best: when we support each other. Not when we cancel each other out for our past mistakes, but when we help each other to grow. When we educate each other; when we guide each other to redemption.
When he was 17, my brother [River] wrote this lyric. He said: “run to the rescue with love and peace will follow.”

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
And as for best dressed, well it’s got to be Billy Porter, outstanding, and for those of you wondering who he was wearing, he was wearing Giles Deacon.

:clap:

billy-porter-oscars-dress-2020.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Stonewall is either a gay nightclub, a pressure group named after it, or a verb meaning to obstruct.

I didn't know that. I assumed it mean't 100%. Thanks

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Nailed it. Apart from Director. Hope you had a few quid on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought Mendes might win best director for the technical achievements of 1917. Backed 1917 but had a cover bet on Parasite yesterday. Lost a tenner overall

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I can't believe 1917 won for Visual Effects some of it was appalling to look and looked like PS2 game

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Many congrats to the brilliant Hildur Guðnadóttir.

Iceland has produced some wonderful composers, and Hildur deserves her gong.

giphy.gif

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I can't believe 1917 won for Visual Effects some of it was appalling to look and looked like PS2 game

I thought they were unnoticeable and therefore very good for the most part, but there’s one bit where a main character is running along near the lip of a trench during an attack that looked really off. Apparently they added CGI grass to obscure various things (crash mats, explosive charges etc...) but it looked so fake it took me right out of the moment.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Many congrats to the brilliant Hildur Guðnadóttir.

Iceland has produced some wonderful composers, and Hildur deserves her gong.

View attachment 120028

First Icelander to win an Oscar, not a dry eye in the house, she's getting an open top bus parade around Rejkavik on her return home. They've gone Oscars crazy.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I thought they were unnoticeable and therefore very good for the most part, but there’s one bit where a main character is running along near the lip of a trench during an attack that looked really off. Apparently they added CGI grass to obscure various things (crash mats, explosive charges etc...) but it looked so fake it took me right out of the moment.

That was one bit that was dreadful. Also as they run down through trench in the begining it just looks wrong

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Magnificent speech from Joachim Phoenix after his fully deserved best actor gong....

"I think at times we feel or are made to feel that we champion different causes. But for me, I see commonality. I think, whether we’re talking about gender inequality or racism or queer rights or indigenous rights or animal rights, we’re talking about the fight against injustice.

We’re talking about the fight against the belief that one nation, one people, one race, one gender, one species, has the right to dominate, use and control another with impunity.

I think we’ve become very disconnected from the natural world. Many of us are guilty of an egocentric world view, and we believe that we’re the centre of the universe. We go into the natural world and we plunder it for its resources. We feel entitled to artificially inseminate a cow and steal her baby, even though her cries of anguish are unmistakeable. Then we take her milk that’s intended for her calf and we put it in our coffee and our cereal.

We fear the idea of personal change, because we think we need to sacrifice something; to give something up. But human beings at our best are so creative and inventive, and we can create, develop and implement systems of change that are beneficial to all sentient beings and the environment.”

…indulging in a drinks-bingo game based around how many winners' speeches involve virtue-signalling issues-based preaching.

:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

I’m full of so much gratitude now. I do not feel elevated above any of my fellow nominees or anyone in this room, because we share the same love – that’s the love of film. And this form of expression has given me the most extraordinary life. I don’t know where I’d be without it.
But I think the greatest gift that it’s given me, and many people in [this industry] is the opportunity to use our voice for the voiceless. I’ve been thinking about some of the distressing issues that we’ve been facing collectively.

I think at times we feel or are made to feel that we champion different causes. But for me, I see commonality. I think, whether we’re talking about gender inequality or racism or queer rights or indigenous rights or animal rights, we’re talking about the fight against injustice.

We fear the idea of personal change, because we think we need to sacrifice something; to give something up. But human beings at our best are so creative and inventive, and we can create, develop and implement systems of change that are beneficial to all sentient beings and the environment.

I have been a scoundrel all my life, I’ve been selfish. I’ve been cruel at times, hard to work with, and I’m grateful that so many of you in this room have given me a second chance. I think that’s when we’re at our best: when we support each other. Not when we cancel each other out for our past mistakes, but when we help each other to grow. When we educate each other; when we guide each other to redemption.
When he was 17, my brother [River] wrote this lyric. He said: “run to the rescue with love and peace will follow.”

It was a humble and brilliant speech he hardly got through when quoting his brother River. He seems a genuinely decent and very intelligent Man and what he said was 100% right

Last edited:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Average talent, very fortunate mainly lucky people who are massively over paid. Not sure why anyone else would be celebrating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here