Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The greatest footballer that you ever saw play live

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not bothered about the 'Russian' linesman, as we scored another goal after that. I think a lot forget that we won 4-2, not 3-2.

The Germans were pushing desperately for an equaliser by the time we got that 4th goal though, they'd left themselves wide open to being caught on the break - the game would have followed a totally different path had that 3rd goal been disallowed. We'll never know what the result would've been (probably a defeat on pens...)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Germans were pushing desperately for an equaliser by the time we got that 4th goal though, they'd left themselves wide open to being caught on the break - the game would have followed a totally different path had that 3rd goal been disallowed. We'll never know what the result would've been (probably a defeat on pens...)

That's football.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Mine would be Paul Gascoigne. Saw him play for Newcastle at West Ham. Newcastle also had that Brazilian Mirandinha playing for them that night. He was good, but Gazza was absolutely outstanding. You could tell he was a world class talent - never seen one player completely dominate a game like that. Made most of the other players look total dross by comparison.

Funnily enough I saw Gazza when Mirandinha was playing. It was against QPR at Lotus Road. I had no idea who Gazza was, at that time. I might have found out a bit more about him, if he hadn't of been sent off after 20 mins for elbowing Paul Parker!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Funnily enough I saw Gazza when Mirandinha was playing. It was against QPR at Lotus Road. I had no idea who Gazza was, at that time. I might have found out a bit more about him, if he hadn't of been sent off after 20 mins for elbowing Paul Parker!

They had a good side around that time - both those players were class.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
They had a good side around that time - both those players were class.

Paul Parker was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch.

I was mighty disappointed with Mirandinha!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Does this thread have the oldest average age of poster of any in the history of NSC?! Quite surprised how many were watching football in the 60s.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Different players for different positions. Goalkeeper- Peter shilton Centre defence- Bobby Moore Full back- Wayne Bridge Midfield- Billy Bremner Forward- Seen many including George Best but for me Peter Ward and or Alan Gilzean.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
George Best - saw him get a hat trick as Utd put 5 past Southampton.
That's the game i went to. Was a United fan then as a nipper until I saw the light and started going to football without my Dad. That hat trick by Best was brilliant and if I remember correctly he went off injured late in the game with two guys carrying him from the pitch and the whole ground applauded his performance.

Fantastic player Best.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
My dad took me to see George Best playing for Newhaven Select 11 in 1988, I was the ripe old age of 7 at the time.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
World Cup 66, Wembley: Banks, Moore, Bobby Charlton (also later at Goldstone for Preston) for England v Argentina, Eusebio and Yashin in Portugal v USSR
Bi-Centennial Gold Cup 1988, Melbourne: Romario and Batista in Brazil v Argentina

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
That's the game i went to. Was a United fan then as a nipper until I saw the light and started going to football without my Dad. That hat trick by Best was brilliant and if I remember correctly he went off injured late in the game with two guys carrying him from the pitch and the whole ground applauded his performance.

Fantastic player Best.

Sadly I was there as I was a Utd fan in those days too! It didn't last thankfully. My Dad took me as it was the nearest place to Brighton where you could get a ticket to see them play.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Kenny Dalgleish when he was playing for "Liverpool, Champions of Europe" on a Sunday back in the 92/93 Season (Phil Neal's birthday so they made him captain and he missed a penalty). KD ran his legs off - and we beat them! :albion2:

He was not best pleased as I remember :flounce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here