Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The greatest album of the 2000's

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I also buck the trend as I think Titanic is a very good film 8.5. You see I have MY OWN opinion and do not follow the sheep for fear of not looking or appearing cool. :salute:

I'm with you on the general argument. If that's the best album for you then sod everybody else. Good for you mate.

I personally thought the album okay-ish. I've never seen Titanic so can't comment on the film and my favourite album of the noughties?

Difficult one. Might go for Aegetis Byrjun by Sigur Ros, Could be Nouvelle Vague by Nouvelle Vague, Beth Orton and Rustin Man would probably get a mention. Ladytron - Light and Magic was good too.

Failing that it would be Dirty Paper Clip (Cup?) by Hafdis Huld. ooh - when did the Flaming Lips album with Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots come out? That would be up there too. Really liked the Sugarcubes second album too. Lots of electropoppery.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
What is the greatest album of the 2000's to date. Nominations please. Other decades will follow in due course.

2000's

Muse - Black Holes & Revelations

" Map of the Problematique " - the greatest slice of music for a long time

Is the correct answer in every respect.

Absolutely awesome album.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

barney

Jul 31, 2006
snow patrol - eyes open
or
arctic monkeys - whatever people say i am, that's what i'm not

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Beth Orton

I got into her a while ago (Trailer Park & Central Reservation) but haven't really heard much lately. I really like the 2 albums I've got so is her current stuff as good? I'm planning on an afternoon downloading music and she may well be on my list. Its down to you!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I got into her a while ago (Trailer Park & Central Reservation) but haven't really heard much lately. I really like the 2 albums I've got so is her current stuff as good? I'm planning on an afternoon downloading music and she may well be on my list. Its down to you!

That's a typo by me. I meant to type Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man. Try that album it's brilliant.

However, Beth Orton's latest albums are as good as Central Reservation. For me, nothing compares to Trailer Park. Absolute heaven. If you're into that kind of stuff can I recommend the following

Emilie Simone (French trip-hop singer) - Especially her album Desert
Hafdis Huld - Icelandic songstress. Lovely lovely album
Emiliani Torrini (spelling?) - Half Italian/Icelandic. V.trippy
Silje Nes - Norwegian beauty and lovely voice
Francois Hardy - French singer
Nouvelle Vague (anything by them)
Rilo Kiley (or Jenny Lewis as a solo artist)
Sinead O'Connor's latest collaboration album is her at her best
Michelle Shocked - The "short, sharp, shocked" album for country/rock cross-over

IF you haven't got it get Dubstar's first album. Absolute genius.

And of course Saint Etienne especially the Foxbase Alpha album or the Good Humour album.

You won't be diappointed.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
That's a typo by me. I meant to type Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man. Try that album it's brilliant.

However, Beth Orton's latest albums are as good as Central Reservation. For me, nothing compares to Trailer Park. Absolute heaven. If you're into that kind of stuff can I recommend the following

Emilie Simone (French trip-hop singer) - Especially her album Desert
Hafdis Huld - Icelandic songstress. Lovely lovely album
Emiliani Torrini (spelling?) - Half Italian/Icelandic. V.trippy
Silje Nes - Norwegian beauty and lovely voice
Francois Hardy - French singer
Nouvelle Vague (anything by them)
Rilo Kiley (or Jenny Lewis as a solo artist)
Sinead O'Connor's latest collaboration album is her at her best
Michelle Shocked - The "short, sharp, shocked" album for country/rock cross-over

IF you haven't got it get Dubstar's first album. Absolute genius.

And of course Saint Etienne especially the Foxbase Alpha album or the Good Humour album.

You won't be diappointed.

:thumbsup:

I'm off then. I'll give as many as possible a try. I've been meaning to get some Dubstar for a while but always forget when I get round to a downloading session! I'll let you know what I think of some of the other later.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Buzzer, thanks for the tips, always good to find a few new names. I've gone for Emilie Simon's self titled album and Hafdis Huld's Dirty Paper Cup. Nouvelle Vague seem to do too many cover versions that just don't seem to work but have bought the single I melt with you. Silje Nes would be fine if I was planning on ending it all! A little bit too dark and moody for my liking.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
bollocks. It's not even his best "best of" album.

Try Bona Drag instead or Louder than Bombs or the World won't Listen

Nah, his last two albums are by far the best he's done (apart from Viva Hate):

You are the Quarry and Ringleader of the Tormentors are brilliant, expecially the track 'You Know I Couldn't Last'.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
dre 2001, what an album! i hate "G" music, but i have to admit its brilliant.

other than that, bloc party's 1st album silent alarm

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Nah, his last two albums are by far the best he's done (apart from Viva Hate):

You are the Quarry and Ringleader of the Tormentors are brilliant, expecially the track 'You Know I Couldn't Last'.

I'd agree with You are the quarry (although Strangeways would run it a very very close second) but DR was quoting compilation albums.

Surely nothing compares to Bona Drag (except maybe Rank :dunce:)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
public enemy

Which album, DR?

On that note can we mention KRS1 and Marley Marl's album last year. Also....Wu Tang Clan's new album is bloody brill. Give it a go.

...and if you like stripped back "retro" hip hop give Fanny Pack's 1st album - So Stylistic a listen. It's very now but very 80s. Sounds very reminiscent of the better songs that used to appear on those Electro 1,2,3....albums with a bass line and drum machine that's a little like the 2 Live Crew.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Wu Tang Clan's new album is bloody brill. Give it a go.

I can't get into it. there's a few decent verses on it but mostly I find it hard work.

Finally saw them live last year, THAT was not hard work to get into.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here