Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The great Vicente saga - 2012 edition [All quite exciting in the end]

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
Vicente and his agent played hard-ball (firstly, stringing us along whilst laying the foundations of a deal with Elche, later by refusing to return for pre-season training)... correctly IMHO, we played hard-ball too (firstly, by taking up our legal option to extend the contract, later by not paying Vicente whilst he stayed in Spain beyond the time we had agreed with him)... perhaps unsurprisingly, we won the negotiation... the rest is flannel... I am really pleased he is staying, since he is undoubtedly one of the best players to ever play for Brighton, and I expect his head to be in the game from the off... oh, and Elche can fcuk off with their free-transfer BS...

Yours is the standard mis-reading of the situation, B.W. I speak as an ex-pat season ticket holder at Elche.

The reason given was exactly as it was, the player just wanted to return to play in Spain. I can absolutely, 100%, positively guarantee any poster on here that the maximum he would have been paid at Elche was 6-7k per week.

It takes some agent to play hardball when he is negotiating with another club for a substantial cut in his client's salary. So, this was never about money.

Elche also knew all along that he needed Brighton's agreement to rescind his contract, that was in every local press article here on the subject. Time to move along, nothing to see here.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yours is the standard mis-reading of the situation, B.W. I speak as an ex-pat season ticket holder at Elche.

The reason given was exactly as it was, the player just wanted to return to play in Spain. I can absolutely, 100%, positively guarantee any poster on here that the maximum he would have been paid at Elche was 6-7k per week.

It takes some agent to play hardball when he is negotiating with another club for a substantial cut in his client's salary. So, this was never about money.

Elche also knew all along that he needed Brighton's agreement to rescind his contract, that was in every local press article here on the subject. Time to move along, nothing to see here.

Then why wait until the 11th hour, that was only ever going to piss the Albion management off.

Was the agent/ Elche really naive enough to think the Albion would just let the 2nd year option expire?

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Could be a goer next season when he finishes his Brighton contract.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

No, Vicente and agent WERE playing hard-ball to find the exit door without due recompense to our club... I'm NOT misreading anything... also, Elche WERE completely out of order, and made to look stupid IMHO...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The why wait until the 11th hour, that was only ever going to piss the Albion management off.

Was the agent/ Elche really naive enough to think the Albion would just let the 2nd year option expire?

Maybe it was more about (or even all about) not pissing his wife off.

He may not need the money but he is a family man and for all of us that should come first.

It's going to be interesting to see if his wife moves over to Brighton with him either part time or full time. That will tell us whether a new contract is worth pursuing because it is tough for a family to be separated, especially with a new baby. Whichever way it goes I think it is unfair to "blame" anyone for the situation that arose - indeed it say a a great deal about all involved that it has been resolved as effectively as it has

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
No, Vicente and agent WERE playing hard-ball to find the exit door without due recompense to our club... I'm NOT misreading anything... also, Elche WERE completely out of order, and made to look stupid IMHO...

You have been made to look a bit foolish on this thread with your continual shouting down of anyone who doesn't agree with 100% of what you say. You have your opinion on the situation, great. But it's not the series of facts you seem to condescendingly suggest it is to anyone who dares disagree with you.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You have been made to look a bit foolish on most threads with your continual shouting down of anyone who doesn't agree with 100% of what you say. You have your opinion on the situation, great. But it's not the series of facts you seem to condescendingly suggest it is to anyone who dares disagree with you.

EFA.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

All in your opinion, based on very little other than hearsay and supposedly someone high up at the club (are those gutters cleaned out yet?). I don't understand why you have to feel so sure that this is exactly what happened. It may have done, I can't deny that, but on the hand there could be many other reasons as well.

You can put your statements in CAPS all you want, but frankly you just sound like someone who likes to think they know a lot more than they actually do. ANYWAY, carry on.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's going to be interesting to see if his wife moves over to Brighton with him either part time or full time. That will tell us whether a new contract is worth pursuing because it is tough for a family to be separated, especially with a new baby. Whichever way it goes I think it is unfair to "blame" anyone for the situation that arose - indeed it say a a great deal about all involved that it has been resolved as effectively as it has

We need a friggin heat wave if she is going to come over. Even I feel like leaving this godforsaken rain drenched island!!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

why were Elche out of order? Vicente was in last 12 weeks of his contract and free to talk to any club he wanted, dispense with the moral high horse claptrap. Elche were not out of order

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Don't know but significant Vicente himself has not made any comments since his return, not even the stock, " pleased to be back, want to help Brighton push for promotion etc." Nothing. Also, do we know if his wife and kids are here or have they stayed in Spain?? If they have, he may be unhappy...??

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Naylor has tweeted about piece in the Argus today on why the Vicente saga could rumble on. Anyone know what that's about?

Hopefully referring to sorting out a new deal for him (i.e. 2 years).

Hopefully.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Haven't a clue about the finer points of the 'optional year' on his contract and have not heard anything whatsoever about him being unhappy but if he did become low because his wife and baby were back home in Spain then it would be best for all concerned to let him go back.
It's not as if he signed a three year contract with us is it ?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Don't know but significant Vicente himself has not made any comments since his return, not even the stock, " pleased to be back, want to help Brighton push for promotion etc." Nothing. Also, do we know if his wife and kids are here or have they stayed in Spain?? If they have, he may be unhappy...??

I presume his agent speaks for him?

“Vicente is not playing for money or the contract. He is playing for Brighton because the project there appeals to him and he wants to help them into the Premier League.

“All he is thinking about is coming over and playing and hopefully Brighton are happy with how he plays."

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Is it just me or does anything Naylor does always appear to have a negative sign as regards the club? much preferred Brian Owen over the last two weeks, since Naylor has been back its all doom and gloom stories.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My view, is that there is actually a middle ground between the viewpoints of:

A. "He just wanted to go to Spain. Money is irrelevant"
and
B "Its all just about money"

It is this:
C: "He'd PREFER, if all things were equal, to be playing in Spain. He's prepared, however to play in England, but wants a good deal, to justify the 'sacrifice'"

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can't believe this thread is still going on but here's my two penny worth. GP gave a very clear indication that they would only invoke the 2nd year option if that is what VR wanted. He goes back to Spain for the break and his wife has a baby. He would be thinking of his family and if, that's if, his wife had said she didn't want to go back to the UK bearing in mind the new baby and the support network she would have from family and friends in Spain, then why wouldn't VR believe it is ok to seek employment closer to home. He probably doesn't need the money having played for Valencia for the last 10 odd years, a period in which they have been one of the top teams in Spain, just behind the big two. If I was in his position, I wouldn't give two figs about a 2nd year option if it meant I would be living away from my new baby and wife. Hopefully, his wife will come to the Uk and may be more settled if they are in fact close friends with the Saltors but if she stays in Spain, I don't see VR staying the whole season.

I've said it before and will say it again. The club should have invoked the 2nd year option long before VR went back to Spain so both he and his wife wouldn't start thinking about other options and other clubs wouldn't come sniffing around. What's done is done and at the moment VR is going to be here at the start of the season. If he is not here by the end I will still be grateful for the opportunity of seeing him play and wish him well for the rest of his career and life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here