Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The great Vicente saga - 2012 edition [All quite exciting in the end]

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Sorry, KevTheRev, but I haven't seen anything saying that Vicente is asking for more money from us. Where did that come from - one of your own sources, or did I miss a post from someone in the know?

Simple, the 2nd tier club in Spain is willing to pay him more. So why would he stay here if he can't get more. It is entirely down to wages, what other perks of the job could he want?

I'm interested in the issues Vicente has said to clear up, as far as I'm aware, he's still in Spain. So perhaps he's waiting till things are sorted there to come back. Nonetheless, this does seem to make us desperate for his services. I didn't appreciate Gus's "we'll build the squad around him". He's a fantastic player, but one that alone doesn't deserve every bit of the spotlight. I still think Calderon's goal against Bristol is by far the best goal anyone in our squad scored last season.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I wasn't knocking. I asked in this thread or maybe another, there's so many Vicente ones, what our win percentage with and with out him actually was?

I have no idea about win percentages or anything like that. What I do know is the our average pts per game was better when he wasn't in the team.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I completely disagree. You are reading into what his agent has said, and also buying what the Spanish press are saying.
If anything he is coming across as someone who (with the help of others) has found a new lease of life and wants to enjoy the remainder of his playing career while also prioritising his family.

He has every right to want the best for him and his family, if he thinks that the best option is Spain then fine. He owes the club nothing.
I wish i could go through life like that
He owes us for getting hin fit Having him when no others would touch him He signed a contract for two years By my reckoning he owes usa year Plus good will

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
But how do you know the terms of his contract last year. Was he on pay as you play, possibly.
If he was, this year he would want a contract that paid him weekly, cos his fitness at the end of last season was proven, so is he not entitled to negotiate a better weekly deal, seeing as he is by a long street the best player in the Champioship, and as Gus said, and the fans proved with their aduration.
Not one person on this board knows the real reason why ehasnt signed yet.
Is all this Spanish 2nd div club talk just spin and paper talk, would you believe a journalist 100%, I wouldnt. Again nobody on this board knows

I would say stop slagging him off until we know for sure.
You ended up with egg on your face with your comments about him last season, something to do with nailing your bollox to a board or something, you dont want to eat humble pie again do you?

You right I got that one well wrong...Fact is he came back at the tail end of the season, played more games than I thought he would. But its all starting to look like a bit of a shop window job, wouldn't you agree?

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
He owes us for getting hin fit Having him when no others would touch him He signed a contract for two years By my reckoning he owes usa year Plus good will

I think there were quite a few other teams who wanted him.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
You right I got that one well wrong...Fact is he came back at the tail end of the season, played more games than I thought he would. But its all starting to look like a bit of a shop window job, wouldn't you agree?

The main part of my post was not that you got it well wrong last year, it was the other part.
No comment on that then?

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Obviously your boss is a bit of a dick then!

Any employer or manager will take an interest in the personal circumstances of an employee - if only to ensure that they get the best value out of them.

Forcing Vicente to honour the second year when the club had already told him that they would leave the decision in his hands is pretty poor. I wouldn't want a player to be forced to play when they didn't wish to be at the club never mind in this country.

As had been said previously - there have been a lot of harsh comments about the player when no one has a clue what is really going on.

If he goes it will be sad - when he played last season I genuinely had a new feeling of excitement that will make this season start on a little bit more of a low point.

I'm just glad I held off getting my 2 boys "Vicente" shirts. Not sure who I would get now.

Absolutely agree. I feel honoured that I was able to see him in an Albion shirt. Had to wait a while but it was worth it. I suggest that half the people on here slagging him off are young kids or sad old gits that have never had a family. Of course he is going to make decisions based on what is best for him and his family, like anyone would. If he comes back great, but I for one wont blame him for putting his family first. It was never about the money or he would not have come here in the first place. Lets just see what happens and if he does'nt come back remember the time he played for us.If he comes back, all those slagging him off now and not knowing the factual situation, will then think he is the best thing since sliced bread. Seriously some people need to grow up.

Simple, the 2nd tier club in Spain is willing to pay him more. So why would he stay here if he can't get more. It is entirely down to wages, what other perks of the job could he want?

The opportunity to play out his career in his home country, with his wife and young family settled? He's said before it's not all about the money, hence why he came to us in the first place. Things in life change though. He might be in a contract, but he's also a human being with a family to consider.

Personally I'd like to see him stay because he is a fantastic player, but if he doesn't then good luck to him. We've ensured we won't lose out financially so where's the problem?

All this talk of him being a mercenary etc is a little OTT IMHO.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

He did have other offers.

His life circumstances have changed since he signed the contract, why shouldn't he review what he wants to do?

As for the he "owes". No he doesn't. We took a risk, he also took a risk. Moving to another country is a big deal, especially if you've always lived in the same area and your friends and family are there.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I have no idea about win percentages or anything like that. What I do know is the our average pts per game was better when he wasn't in the team.

Hey guess what? we WON more games than we lost when Marcus Painter was in the team....

Should we build the team around him?

Feb 14, 2010
Vicente's obligations and the Albion's obligations are set out in the contract. If either party wish to vary the terms then they will have to get the cheque book out, or someone on their behalf will. The rest is hot air.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I think there were quite a few other teams who wanted him.

so someone says ( who is agent ) Do you think any other team would let him walk out one year into a two year contract
Especialy after spending the money on him we have

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I'm baffled how Elche could offer him more money? I thought individual teams in Spain dealt with their own rights with Real and Barca taking the lions share and the rest of La Liga taking what's left.

A Liga Adelante team with a half empty ground cant be making that much can they?

macky

Dec 28, 2004
He did have other offers.

His life circumstances have changed since he signed the contract, why shouldn't he review what he wants to do?

As for the he "owes". No he doesn't. We took a risk, he also took a risk. Moving to another country is a big deal, especially if you've always lived in the same area and your friends and family are there.
Then why sign for two years then I just fel he is trying to have us

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
The speculation on this thread is, really, a complete waste of emotional energy.

We will know one way or the other within the next week. Why not reserve comments for then when facts are known.

I suggest everyone enjoys Wimbledon etc and chills out a bit!

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
so someone says ( who is agent ) Do you think any other team would let him walk out one year into a two year contract
Especialy after spending the money on him we have

It was Gus who said other clubs were in for him.

Plenty of clubs and players have mutually terminated contracts, besides no one is saying that he is walking away or that a fee is not involved.

The speculation on this thread is, really, a complete waste of emotional energy.

Why not reserve comments for then when facts are known.

If we all did that there would be about one thread a week!

I suggest everyone enjoys Wimbledon etc and chills out a bit!

Much better idea. :thumbsup:

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Hasn't his wife just given birth to their second child? In which case a year ago they wouldn't have known about that.

Then he should pay his way out of the contract Its not like he's only on £1000 a week

macky

Dec 28, 2004
It was Gus who said other clubs were in for him.

Plenty of clubs and players have mutually terminated contracts, besides no one is saying that he is walking away or that a fee is not involved.

I cant see the club holding him against his wil if there isa fee to be had

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here