Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Great Palace 2013 managerial farce. 31 days...THEY FOUND ONE!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Although people will mock his style of play, he will probably do a good job there. He will be their best chance of staying up. At least he wont come knocking for our players, none of them will suit his style.
I agree with all that. Yet I disagree with all this:

I agree with this wholeheartedly - 'style of play' snobbery annoys me.

If Pulis was manager of the Albion and we were scrapping away in the Premier League and holding our own, the Amex would be full and there'd be very, very few complaints about the style of play.
I don't just want us to survive in the prem by playing hoofball. I go because I like football, the sport. Although I'd still go if we were hoofing it, I wouldn't enjoy it as much. Seeing football played well is a joy, and I like seeing that, even if it's not at the top level.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Bit disappointed it might be Pulis. He's the kind of guy who 'might' give them a chance.

However the complete mess they've made of their promotion is pretty funny to watch. It should have been a a very welcome cash injection which should have been ploughed into the club. A coupe of decent signings and see what the team who got them up could do.

Is it right Pulis will want more money for January signings? How many players will they have then?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I agree with all that. Yet I disagree with all this:

I don't just want us to survive in the prem by playing hoofball. I go because I like football, the sport. Although I'd still go if we were hoofing it, I wouldn't enjoy it as much. Seeing football played well is a joy, and I like seeing that, even if it's not at the top level.

I agree. It's not snobbery in the slightest. It's why I, and I imagine others, love the game.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Re: The Great Palace 2013 managerial farce. 28 days...and counting...

Bit disappointed it might be Pulis. He's the kind of guy who 'might' give them a chance.

However the complete mess they've made of their promotion is pretty funny to watch. It should have been a a very welcome cash injection which should have been ploughed into the club. A coupe of decent signings and see what the team who got them up could do.

Is it right Pulis will want more money for January signings? How many players will they have then?

They have I think 25 players + 2 no one wants to pay to take off their hands on loan + Glenn Murray + 2 under 21s.

So a first team squad of 30. They can boot out their allowed 2 loans, and get 2 new loans in.

They will find it very difficult to ship out their other dross, so does this mean extra players eating up the remainder of this year's money, and pretty much postponing any development of Selhurst? ???

Grim times in Jesterville.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Re: The Great Palace 2013 managerial farce. 28 days...and counting...

If Pulis was manager of the Albion and we were scrapping away in the Premier League and holding our own, the Amex would be full and there'd be very, very few complaints about the style of play.

Were you watching the Albion in the early 80's? Mike Bailey springs to mind. We achieved top flight respectability but yet sacked him prematurely as his 'style' of football wasn't appreciated.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Nonsense. You go to the football purely for the results do you? In that case why would you even bother going? You'd just check the scores from home. You go to the football, for the FOOTBALL. Style of play is practically everything for plenty of fans.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nonsense. You go to the football purely for the results do you? In that case why would you even bother going? You'd just check the scores from home. You go to the football, for the FOOTBALL. Style of play is practically everything for plenty of fans.

Maybe. So they'd stop going. But I maintain that the Amex would still be full of [other less-precious] fans enjoying the Albion scrapping it out in the 'Best League in the World (TM)', just as The Britannia was.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd be happy enough to see a year or two of agricultural play if it was successful and we got promoted and stabilised, but would rather not have season after season after season of hoof it to the big lad bollocks thanks Bozz.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Were you watching the Albion in the early 80's? Mike Bailey springs to mind. We achieved top flight respectability but yet sacked him prematurely as his 'style' of football wasn't appreciated.

We were bottom three when Bailey was sacked, and crowds had dipped below 10,000.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Re: The Great Palace 2013 managerial farce. 29 days...and counting...

Maybe. So they'd stop going. But I maintain that the Amex would still be full of [other less-precious] fans enjoying the Albion scrapping it out in the 'Best League in the World (TM)', just as The Britannia was.

You make a very good point. This idea that long term Albion fans are football purists is a nonsense. We've only started playing an aesthetic style since Poyet. Before then we all watched season after season of often dire football under various managers.

However, I reserve the right of all football fans to be a hypocrite and shall sneer at Pulis hoofball with glee.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You make a very good point. This idea that long term Albion fans are football purists is a nonsense. We've only started playing an aesthetic style since Poyet. Before then we all watched season after season of often dire football under various managers.

However, I reserve the right of all football fans to be a hypocrite and shall sneer at Pulis hoofball with glee.

Exactly, after a summer spend touching our toes due to events at the Albion, any opportunity to have a giggle at Palace is eagerly grasped. I think Pulis is underrated, and have a friend who is a Sjoke STH who said the people who whined about his style of play when they were beating the likes of Norwich 1-0 were more than happy to get behind the team when the big clubs came to town, and if Stoke ground out a nil nil it was seen as a result.

It wasn't that long ago that we were playing Stoke in the third tier, and they are in the Prem due to Pulis. Ugly but effective, as opposed to Ian Dowie, who is just ugly.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
They have I think 25 players + 2 no one wants to pay to take off their hands on loan + Glenn Murray + 2 under 21s.

So a first team squad of 30. They can boot out their allowed 2 loans, and get 2 new loans in.

They will find it very difficult to ship out their other dross, so does this mean extra players eating up the remainder of this year's money, and pretty much postponing any development of Selhurst? ???

Grim times in Jesterville.

Their Premier League squad is 25 + a couple of U21s. However, they apparently have 46 players in their squad (not including the youngsters in their equivalent to our DS). That's a lot of money on the pay-roll, and a lot of dross to have to ship out in a single transfer window.

It is incredible how spectacularly they have arsed up their opportunity to take the PL money and stabilise their finances for a few years.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Didn't we have our highest finish under him? The moaning started long before the slide in the league position

Yes we did and then we sacked him on 6th December 1982 when we were 5th from bottom after 17 games, less than half the season. We then installed our own Holloway equivalent in Jimmy Melia and we quickly sank to the bottom winning only another 4 league games and we all know what happened next.
But E.P is correct the football under Bailey was boring and Pullis like and the crowds were falling badly.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd be happy enough to see a year or two of agricultural play if it was successful and we got promoted and stabilised, but would rather not have season after season after season of hoof it to the big lad bollocks thanks Bozz.

This. Short term fans would accept it but you forget how quickly expectations are raised.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
But Pulis will want to spend ALL of next year's parachute payment in the January transfer window.

I really do not think they will let him, they may not know football as they are still learning but they do know business and only the most blinkered would deny that. I know you will come back with Holloway(I almost wrote Dowie, that name has been haunting me recently) spent X amount on that lot but I do not think it is as much as everyone is imagining, the ones on big wages will be gone at the end of the season and the loans can go as well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here