Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Great Palace 2013 managerial farce. 31 days...THEY FOUND ONE!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So let's say Dick Knight wasn't there to save your club when you were dying on your knees at the bottom of the football league, and you had to enter administation to save what was left of you.

Would you still be begrudging other clubs for doing the same thing? No you wouldn't. You'd want your club to survive no matter what.

So save us the 'holier than thou' drivel about 'creditors' which of course you know f'ck all about, and pray Mr.Bloom doesn't land you in the same situation.

Ooh, hypotheticals are fun...

Suppose someone provides a service to you that you benefit from. They then come to collect the money you agreed to pay them when you employed their services, but you find due to your poor budgeting, you have no money left. You do however, have a bunch of assets you could sell to others to raise the funds to pay what you owe. What would you do?

A second hypothetical. Rather than doing the right thing in the above situation, you keep your assets, they help you keep your business at an inflated level. You avoid the debt by using administration to wipe it out. Do you learn from this to budget accordingly so as to avoid cheating people and keeping your business at an inflated level, or do you learn from this that you can build up debt and just wipe it out when it reaches a tipping point?

A third hypothetical, after cheating people out of money you owe them, twice, retaining assets that inflate your business above the level it would otherwise be had you done the right thing and sold said assets to pay your bills, would you then shove it in other businesses face how you've been a business at this level for x years, then throw a wobbly dismissing the legitimate points raised about how you were able to retain such a level as if it was somehow noble, or do you show a bit of humility acknowledging the source of your business's level and accept that perhaps it shouldn't be something you throw in the faces of businesses who when they had debt sold assets, who suffered dropping through divisions, homelessness and have now worked their way back up to the same level?

I think we know your reaction to each hypothetical. For the record, if Brighton went into administration as a last resort I wouldn't troll a hereford board bragging about how we stayed up, and get angry if they suggested administration played part. If brighton went into administration rather than sell players to pay debts, I wouldn't brag about how we stayed up in the top two divisions thanks to the players we refused to sell.

It isn't administration that brighton fans have a problem with. It's the palace fans dismissal of it from the story of their "success" (staying in the top two divisions). You stayed in the top two divisions because of the administrations, not despite them. That is too quickly forgotten by many of your brethren.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Brighton were at the bottom of the football league because they didn't go into administration.

Personally I have sympathy with fans of any team that gets into financial trouble because of mismanagement not of the fans making. However, that sympathy ebbs away very quickly, when I hear crowing about not sinking below the top two divisions for decades.

To paraphrase Cloughy "As far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck your 20 seasons in the top two divisions into the biggest dustbin you can find, because you've never won them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating. "

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Brighton were at the bottom of the football league because they didn't go into administration.

Personally I have sympathy with fans of any team that gets into financial trouble because of mismanagement not of the fans making. However, that sympathy ebbs away very quickly, when I hear crowing about not sinking below the top two divisions for decades.

To paraphrase Cloughy "As far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck your 20 seasons in the top two divisions into the biggest dustbin you can find, because you've never won them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating. "

Great use of the Clough quote. :thumbsup:

eagleseatseagulls

Sep 5, 2005
SE25
Acker79 I understand your pain but I can assure you most Palace fans don't consider staying 'in the top two divisions' as success, merely more success than their arch rivals have achieved. We've won nothing just like you.

As I said before you lot are quick to judge us on our administrations but without Dick Knight and of course Bloom, it's hard to say if you would still exist today.

Feb 14, 2010
Acker79 I understand your pain but I can assure you most Palace fans don't consider staying 'in the top two divisions' as success, merely more success than their arch rivals have achieved. We've won nothing just like you.

As I said before you lot are quick to judge us on our administrations but without Dick Knight and of course Bloom, it's hard to say if you would still exist today.

Correction, Brighton as winners of the Southern League beat the winners of the Football League to win The Charity Shield and be crowned Champions of England. Its only palace out of us two who have no history. We also got to the FA Cup Final before you. The only boast palace have is two insolvencies to pay for players they couldnt afford to keep themselves in the top flight. Our major achievement however is having a club after the Archer years and that was us, the fans that were a major part of that. No club, not one, can match the campaign that Brighton got going, certainly not your spotty teenagers who got laughed out of the City.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

Fans united, Robbie Reinelt, Stuart Storer, Liam Brady and Steve Gritt would all argue that.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

Yes but there's a big difference. Palace are seen as the Wigan Athletic of the south. No ambition and shit crowds. The Albion on the other hand are seen in comparable size to teams like Leeds and Southampton.
Even when you're in the Prem, no one would want to come to play/see you. Palace=Journeyman recruitment agency.
You're performances in the Prem are disgracing the standard of that league and so is your stadium. It'll be interesting to see if you survive the Championship next season.

Last edited:

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
Yes but there's a big difference. Palace are seen as the Wigan Athletic of the south. No ambition and shit crowds. The Albion on the other hand are seen in comparable size to teams like Leeds and Southampton. Even when you're in the Prem, no one would want to come to play/see you. Palace=Journeyman recruitment agency.
You're performances in the Prem are disgracing the standard of that league and so is your stadium. It'll be interesting to see if you survive the Championship next season.

You, sir, are completely deluded.

eagleseatseagulls

Sep 5, 2005
SE25
Correction, Brighton as winners of the Southern League beat the winners of the Football League to win The Charity Shield and be crowned Champions of England. Its only palace out of us two who have no history. We also got to the FA Cup Final before you. The only boast palace have is two insolvencies to pay for players they couldnt afford to keep themselves in the top flight. Our major achievement however is having a club after the Archer years and that was us, the fans that were a major part of that. No club, not one, can match the campaign that Brighton got going, certainly not your spotty teenagers who got laughed out of the City.

I knew you would clutch at that straw, it would be a lot like us claiming that winning the ZDS trophy was a major achievement eccept it really isn't is it? Winning the Southern League and beating Villa, the Champions of England, is not a claim to a major honour really is it. It would be like Sutton United beating Man Utd in a one-off match by todays standards. And who actually considers winning the Community Shield an achievement these days. Oh yes, the Champions of England and the winners of the FA Cup, none of which you lot have actually won.

Suddenly the ZDS seems more like a UEFA cup somehow...........

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I knew you would clutch at that straw, it would be a lot like us claiming that winning the ZDS trophy was a major achievement eccept it really isn't is it? Winning the Southern League and beating Villa, the Champions of England, is not a claim to a major honour really is it. It would be like Sutton United beating Man Utd in a one-off match by todays standards. And who actually considers winning the Community Shield an achievement these days. Oh yes, the Champions of England and the winners of the FA Cup, none of which you lot have actually won.

You still probably spent beyond your means to win it.

eagleseatseagulls

Sep 5, 2005
SE25
Yes but there's a big difference. Palace are seen as the Wigan Athletic of the south. No ambition and shit crowds. The Albion on the other hand are seen in comparable size to teams like Leeds and Southampton.
Even when you're in the Prem, no one would want to come to play/see you. Palace=Journeyman recruitment agency.

:lolol:

That was good for a laugh if nothing else. Tell me, you last reached the Premiership when?

Feb 14, 2010

The flaw in your argument is "who considers the Charity Shield.. these days". You judge the trophy as it was in those days, not these days, but even now the top teams still play for it, unlike the ZDS which was a reserve team cup that the top sides didnt even enter. We also did get to the FA Cup final before you and well, you just compare York City at home to your little demonstration. The type and numbers of support that brighton can call upon is just so far beyond beyond the likes of Palace. I would agree however that you do have a few more fans than Wigan, but you just wouldnt, like us, get bigger crowds than Leeds.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
:lolol:

That was good for a laugh if nothing else. Tell me, you last reached the Premiership when?

We've never played in the Prem. Since it's existence, we've been robbed dry by crooks. Since then, we've won 3 titles and a play off final. We've built a ground much better than yours and we now look like promotion challenging material.
How many times have you gone into administration in that time?

eagleseatseagulls

Sep 5, 2005
SE25
The flaw in your argument is "who considers the Charity Shield.. these days". You judge the trophy as it was in those days, not these days, but even now the top teams still play for it, unlike the ZDS which was a reserve team cup that the top sides didnt even enter. We also did get to the FA Cup final before you and well, you just compare York City at home to your little demonstration. The type and numbers of support that brighton can call upon is just so far beyond beyond the likes of Palace. I would agree however that you do have a few more fans than Wigan, but you just wouldnt, like us, get bigger crowds than Leeds.

Still if you can bare to admit it, it's not a major honour is it? You got to the final before us 'whoopdedoo' did you win it? No.

We have a catchment area that can easily rival yours in numbers but as you know we compete with the rest of London for support, something you only need to compete with Crawley for.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

Didn't we have the biggest average gates last season?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
We have a catchment area that can easily rival yours in numbers but as you know we compete with the rest of London for support, something you only need to compete with Crawley for.

Which means you don't have a catchment area which can easily rival ours.

eagleseatseagulls

Sep 5, 2005
SE25
We've never played in the Prem. Since it's existence, we've been robbed dry by crooks. Since then, we've won 3 titles and a play off final. We've built a ground much better than yours and we now look like promotion challenging material.
How many times have you gone into administration in that time?

'We've been robbed dry by crooks' .......now there's an excuse if ever I heard one. You've won 3 lower league titles and a play-off final. Ever won the Second Division/Championship...? ...No. 1994. And i'll raise you 4 play-off final wins from the 'Championship' to the 'Premiership'.

Do you call? Or would you prefer to keep bluffing.......:)

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
'We've been robbed dry by crooks' .......now there's an excuse if ever I heard one. You've won 3 lower league titles and a play-off final. Ever won the Second Division/Championship...? ...No. 1994. And i'll raise you 4 play-off final wins from the 'Championship' to the 'Premiership'.

Do you call? Or would you prefer to keep bluffing.......:)

I answered your question, any chance of answering mine? How many times have you been into administration since we lost the Goldstone ground?

ps Can you tell me, when was the last time you won back to back titles?

Last edited:

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here