Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Great Escape

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Great Escape is a terrible festival, where punters who've forked out for tickets can't get in to the biggest bands because industry freeloaders get to waltz in first.

There's normally good people to see, but I can't stand waiting in queues for the last few spaces (or to find the gig is full) while the industry people go straight in.

Avoid, that's my recommendation.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Totally agree with what your saying, but i like wondering round few beers few gigs 50 quid for 3 days. last year i saw temper trap, the macabees, filthy dukes, british sea power esser, all without any problem.

hack

Feb 24, 2009
Been for the last three years and never missed a band I wanted to see - Subways, Idlewild, Charlatans, Wombats, Macabees. Just need to get to the venues early enough so you catch whoever's on before them.

Line-up's not as good this year though, very few bands I'm looking forward to seeing, tho bound to be some decent unknowns

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I really wish I was going this year there are so many acts I would love to see but it is right in the middle of my exams. I will go next year though, hopefully.

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
Not going to the festival as such but I have a ticket for The Cribs which I'm lead to believe is part of the Great Escape!

The Dodos and Chapel Club are the only bands I'd be bothered about seeing anyway.

Stinky Pete

Aug 31, 2009
London
I'll be there again, looking forward to White Rabbits. Great festival

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Yep!

Have been for the last 3 years and think it is a fantastic festival.

Personally, I have always avoided the headline acts, and used it as an opprtunity to see artists I have never heard of before.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Great Escape is a terrible festival, where punters who've forked out for tickets can't get in to the biggest bands because industry freeloaders get to waltz in first.

There's normally good people to see, but I can't stand waiting in queues for the last few spaces (or to find the gig is full) while the industry people go straight in.

Avoid, that's my recommendation.

I have been every year with about 8 mates and I have to disagree with your comments. It's a great little festival, it's all about taking a punt and seeing new bands. If you do a little bit of research and planning, and dont get too hung up about not being able to get to see every one of your first choices you'll see some great acts and not have too many problems.

Get a group of mates together, set up weekend base camp in a pub somewhere and take it from there. I cannot think of many things better than wandering the streets of Brighton for three days drinking beer and walking into any venue of choice.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I have been every year with about 8 mates and I have to disagree with your comments. It's a great little festival, it's all about taking a punt and seeing new bands. If you do a little bit of research and planning, and dont get too hung up about not being able to get to see every one of your first choices you'll see some great acts and not have too many problems.

Get a group of mates together, set up weekend base camp in a pub somewhere and take it from there. I cannot think of many things better than wandering the streets of Brighton for three days drinking beer and walking into any venue of choice.

Hopefully it will be good weather, finishing miday thursday friday off, wonder round few beers bit of music few more beers and alot more music, add sun to that surley only the albion winning saturday afternoon, would almost be a neat complete weekend.

therunningbomb

therunningbomb
Feb 23, 2009
Hove

Spot on that man :thumbsup:

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
I'll be there again, looking forward to White Rabbits. Great festival

Likewise. The only thing that'll prevent me from seeing them will be if they clash with The Walkmen (my favourite band bar none, I'm absolutely chuffed they're playing Brighton again).

Well, that and the usual crowd chaos.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Likewise. The only thing that'll prevent me from seeing them will be if they clash with The Walkmen (my favourite band bar none, I'm absolutely chuffed they're playing Brighton again).

Well, that and the usual crowd chaos.

I forgot about the Walkmen, in my drunken state last night. Also my favourite band evereverever.

When will we find out whose playing when?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here