Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Great Escape Festival

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Great fun again yesterday.

Got home from work and headed down to the beach to see Police Car Collective. Hugely disappointing, hugely disrespectful of our city. Walked out of them after fifteen minutes.

Rachel Chinouriri was very lovely, soulful and chilled. Enjoyable. Priya Ragu was also fun.

The vegan kebabs at the beach stage area are magnificent.

Then on to Coalition for a bit more energy. First up the banging techno grime of Grove. Then Bob Vylan - without question the highlight of the festival so far. Incredibly powerful, political and hedonistic punk hip hop. Hugely recommended.

Finally Casisdead - good dubstep, but very much "after the Lord Mayor's Show".

Having a lie in this morning before starting with Mauvey at 1.15.

God, I love The Great Escape.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Got home from work and headed down to the beach to see Police Car Collective. Hugely disappointing, hugely disrespectful of our city. Walked out of them after fifteen minutes.

Rachel Chinouriri was very lovely, soulful and chilled. Enjoyable. Priya Ragu was also fun.

Then on to Coalition for a bit more energy. First up the banging techno grime of Grove. Then Bob Vylan - without question the highlight of the festival so far. Incredibly powerful, political and hedonistic punk hip hop. Hugely recommended.

Casisdead was brilliant.

Gabriels yesterday were incredible.

Honourable mention to tora-i.

Gonna try to get to Mauvey too but things are moving a little slower in Day 3.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Thanks, was hoping if I just happened to be in the pub and a gig broke out I might be OK.

I've got tickets to his gig in October at Hope and Ruin so I'll wait till then

Went down to the pub on the off chance, sat outside with a beer and listened to it as windows were wide open. Spoke to him after the gig too.

Definitely going to look at getting tickets for Great Escape next year, not sure why I haven't before.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm off to a gig in Bedford in a minute but Shipwright's Yard made my Friday yesterday Peaness, Priestgate, Tatyana, Panic Shack and She Drew the Gun were just brilliant, what a fantastic run of bands that was. Finished off the day with the delightful Me Rex. Caught Dream Nails and a badly hampered by sound issues Hawxx this afternoon.

Gutted to be missing this evening's shenanigans but for everyone who is making the most of the day I'm sure you'll have a belter, enjoy!

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
Another fantastic TGE. Top 5 for me in order:

1. Bob Vylan - one of the best gigs I’ve ever attended

Long gap between them and the rest…

2. Yard Act (Thurs Komedia)

3. English Teacher (Thurs Latest Bar)

4. CMAT

5. Katy J Pearson (Sat Horatios)

£55 ticket already bought for next year. I love the fact that the festival rewards effort and strategy. I appreciate that’s not everyone’s sense of fun but I love the pre planning!

Hopefully the weekend will be capped off with us relegating Leeds :)

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Sounds great! Bar Police Car Collective. In what way were they so disrespectful?!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Sounds great! Bar Police Car Collective. In what way were they so disrespectful?!

They bounded on to stage in the large marquee on the beach, and played their first track. The crowd was not huge in this cavernous tent, and like me, a lot of people were probably straight from work, middle aged and not yet ready to rumble. It was 5.15 on a hot and sunny Friday afternoon.

After that first track, which was not as rapturously received as they felt entitled for it to be, the frontman announced "We're Police Car Collective, the greatest ****ing band in the world."

The response was not the roar he expected, and he angrily said "Weak!" and then berated us for not immediately accepting that we were in the presence of greatness.

A couple more fairly average tracks, politely received with a degree of crowd shuffle, and he was getting increasingly angry that the gathered throng was not going batshit crazy, telling us that usually there'd be a moshpit "but the people of THIS town clearly don't have it in them."

He continued to abuse the audience for not behaving as he had decided we should, slagging us and our boring town off as he did.

I was not alone in walking out and having a beer in the sunshine.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
They bounded on to stage in the large marquee on the beach, and played their first track. The crowd was not huge in this cavernous tent, and like me, a lot of people were probably straight from work, middle aged and not yet ready to rumble. It was 5.15 on a hot and sunny Friday afternoon.

After that first track, which was not as rapturously received as they felt entitled for it to be, the frontman announced "We're Police Car Collective, the greatest ****ing band in the world."

The response was not the roar he expected, and he angrily said "Weak!" and then berated us for not immediately accepting that we were in the presence of greatness.

A couple more fairly average tracks, politely received with a degree of crowd shuffle, and he was getting increasingly angry that the gathered throng was not going batshit crazy, telling us that usually there'd be a moshpit "but the people of THIS town clearly don't have it in them."

He continued to abuse the audience for not behaving as he had decided we should, slagging us and our boring town off as he did.

I was not alone in walking out and having a beer in the sunshine.

I looked them up after seeing your post yesterday.

B5BC702E-50F9-4733-A67A-D7309487F0B3.jpeg

Maybe not so popular as they think they are :D

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
That was such a lovely festival. There is nowhere in the World I would rather be than Brighton on a sunny Great Escape weekend. So good to stumble upon so many wonderful performances and bump into so many friends and drink beer on the beach with them.

Highlights yesterday were Mauvey, Ouraa and the superb CVC, who must be destined for greatness.

Roll on next year - Super Early Bird tickets to be purchased today.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Just one act for me (although did hear The Garrys on the jubilee stage who sounded very good) that was Gabriels, what a sound and what a voice, I loved them. They are playing the Love Supreme festival headlining the Arena stage on the Sunday night, looks like it may clash with Sons of Kemet with Nubya Garcia, what a festival clash to have to choose between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRb9_F-CZHE

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Another fantastic TGE. Top 5 for me in order:

1. Bob Vylan - one of the best gigs I’ve ever attended

Long gap between them and the rest…

2. Yard Act (Thurs Komedia)

3. English Teacher (Thurs Latest Bar)

4. CMAT

5. Katy J Pearson (Sat Horatios)

£55 ticket already bought for next year. I love the fact that the festival rewards effort and strategy. I appreciate that’s not everyone’s sense of fun but I love the pre planning!

Hopefully the weekend will be capped off with us relegating Leeds :)

Heard a couple of people say Bob Vylan was off the scale. Just checked out We Live Here! So wish I’d seen him.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Great three days of gig going. Topped off with some superb weather yesterday. Best acts for me were Kill Birds, Yard Act, Enola Gay and Bilk. Also mentions for lObjectif and Dream Nails. Disappointed not to get into see English Teacher but overall there seemed less queuing than normal. Out of interest did anyone head to The Old Market? I aways wonder what the crowds are like as its a bit far out for this type of festival. Tempted by Warmduscher but stayed put on the pier that night.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Great three days of gig going. Topped off with some superb weather yesterday. Best acts for me were Kill Birds, Yard Act, Enola Gay and Bilk. Also mentions for lObjectif and Dream Nails. Disappointed not to get into see English Teacher but overall there seemed less queuing than normal. Out of interest did anyone head to The Old Market? I aways wonder what the crowds are like as its a bit far out for this type of festival. Tempted by Warmduscher but stayed put on the pier that night.

We were contemplating heading to The Old Market for BC Camplight on Friday if we couldn’t get in to Coalition. Thankfully we did. Bob Vylan, as has been said, was joyous, an incredible experience.

Apart from that possibility we discounted TOM because, as you suggest, it’s just too far.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
We were contemplating heading to The Old Market for BC Camplight on Friday if we couldn’t get in to Coalition. Thankfully we did. Bob Vylan, as has been said, was joyous, an incredible experience.

Apart from that possibility we discounted TOM because, as you suggest, it’s just too far.

Every year the line up looks decent but it’s just too far when factoring in that it might be full.
Will have to check out Bob Vylan.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Saw The Waeve (Graham Coxon) at TOM. Was busy but to be expected for him I suppose, didn’t really consider it otherwise.

Bit wuitrrnon the music front yesterday as we were enjoying just bowling around town and ended up watching the cup final in the Bier Haus. Did catch local lads Frankie Stew and Harvey Gunn on the beach to round things off though and that was a great way to finish. Oneda at Horatios to start off was good fun.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here