Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Graham Potter Good News Thread

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Look, everyone is having a lovely chit chat and I’m ok with that. However please can we occasionally chip in with some positivity about our Graham ? Oh and I’m still waiting by my front door for that help supposedly sent by [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION]

For the avoidance of doubt I am being a little facetious. I genuinely want to lift both my and the board’s mood for the good of the team and management.

I agree with your OP. As I understand it, this is supposed to be a forum for Albion supporters. It's a bit tough reading some of the stuff posted here. Just hope GP doesn't read it.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Interesting. So, basically, we're conceding more goals in-game than we should be, and we're chronically missing in-game chances at the other end. I think the board recognised this in the summer, and can only think that had we signed Darwin Nunez, we'd be pushing for a comfortable top half finish. On the defensive side, it seems we're weaker with the three centre backs, and I'm not sure whether it's trying to find a space for white, or accommodating lamptey, or the lack of Murray defending corners, or Duffy's absence, or zonal approaches, but it just seems so schoolboy and nail-bitingly typical at the back on every set piece occasion.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Agree entirely with all you surmise and have narrowed it down to two principle issues:

Accommodating White who is never going to be a set piece defensive ball magnet means we absolutely must replace that ability somehow. Statistically for the game and style we crave Whites inclusion is a no brainer BUT we’ve also lost other defensive qualities with the removal of Duffy and Murray. I’d argue you can lose one but not two of those in your box.

We could accommodate a more passive goalkeeper in those scenarios [Ryan] when we had Murray and Duffy willing to head anything that moved but again removing them for the good of the style and not replacing them naturally has left Ryan more exposed. I think simply, and again crucially statistically, Sanchez is rightly seen to negate the need to replace those two players by possessing the stature and skills to mitigate their losses. Ryan was never going to become more box dominant.

So I’d guess right now we’re seeing how this change impacts us defensively before thinking about any additions to the squad in January.

Personally I’d also be in favour of binning off zonal marking but then I’ve never been a fan. I could be convinced tactically of the benefits [supposedly quicker outlets at a break down as you’re already more spaced out and have passing options on immediately] if the Sanchez move works out.

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
How do you concede or miss chances that aren’t “in-game”?

Those words are completely superfluous to your point, why would anyone use them?
Yeah sorry, I guess I didn't explain that at all - I meant actual versus historic data. I would assume that the club statisticians look at the historic xG for /against based on last season's data (or longer) and understand the range/height of the variance/error bar and its confidence (ie best case and worst case scenario for defending, and then the same again for attacking). It seems that this season, we're actually at the worst case for both.

Gotsmanov

Aug 13, 2003
Brighton
Agree entirely with all you surmise and have narrowed it down to two principle issues:

Accommodating White who is never going to be a set piece defensive ball magnet means we absolutely must replace that ability somehow. Statistically for the game and style we crave Whites inclusion is a no brainer BUT we’ve also lost other defensive qualities with the removal of Duffy and Murray. I’d argue you can lose one but not two of those in your box.

We could accommodate a more passive goalkeeper in those scenarios [Ryan] when we had Murray and Duffy willing to head anything that moved but again removing them for the good of the style and not replacing them naturally has left Ryan more exposed. I think simply, and again crucially statistically, Sanchez is rightly seen to negate the need to replace those two players by possessing the stature and skills to mitigate their losses. Ryan was never going to become more box dominant.

So I’d guess right now we’re seeing how this change impacts us defensively before thinking about any additions to the squad in January.

Personally I’d also be in favour of binning off zonal marking but then I’ve never been a fan. I could be convinced tactically of the benefits [supposedly quicker outlets at a break down as you’re already more spaced out and have passing options on immediately] if the Sanchez move works out.
It's interesting that we were in for Martinez in the summer, which means a new goalie had been identified as requirement too, along with the new striker. Which means, both acquisition failures can explain the increased goals conceded and failed conversions, and therefore no shock to the club hierarchy. And likely also explains the public for sale sign over Ryan's head, which can never have happened without sanction from the centre of the wagon wheel, or higher.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here