Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

wizo7

Man Met Massive
Dec 17, 2008
Bolney
You are in for an absolute treat then! I finished the Girl that kicked the Hornets nest last week at it was epic!!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The re-make is, in a rare case of improvemnet by yanks, a better watch. Fincher has put back in certain sub-plots that were edited out of the originals. The first original is okay if a little lacking but the next 2 are ridiculous and a mess. In fact the Scandies didn'y much like it and they didn't do as well as expected until they re cut them, edited them into a long form tv program and put back in the mising plot points, character development etc and then it did quite well.

The Fincher version is, despite people getting kudos for saying they prefer the original, a far superior film and anyone who knows owt about films would recognise this.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I got The Girl With Eragon Tattoo instead, and to be frank...it was a bit weird!

Agree with the above though - go with the original. For those interested in Scandinavian crime, you could do worse than take a look at the Danish drug films in the fantastic Pusher triology series:

41CB52MTB9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That is a superb trilogy. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
I think the remake was very good. I can understand why people hate Hollywood remakes so to speak, but in this case it was definately worth it. Ironic that it didn't do to well though. Although the cinema release date was crazy, up against Mission Impossible and Sherlock Holmes.

I am a bit of a Fincher fan though.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Been told to watch the original 2009 version with sub titles rather than the 2011 re make as the later version is a diluted version of the original.
is this a fair comment?

I haven't seen the remake, but I've watched the Swedish trilogy and really enjoyed it. Haven't read the books, but I bet that the original films are far closer in spirit to any remake of anything ever!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I got The Girl With Eragon Tattoo instead, and to be frank...it was a bit weird!

Agree with the above though - go with the original. For those interested in Scandinavian crime, you could do worse than take a look at the Danish drug films in the fantastic Pusher triology series:

41CB52MTB9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I do like definitive recommendations like this - cheers. Will report back!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I haven't seen the remake, but I've watched the Swedish trilogy and really enjoyed it. Haven't read the books, but I bet that the original films are far closer in spirit to any remake of anything ever!

Then you'd be wrong. The remake is more in the spirit if the books in this case.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
The dislike of the American remake is entirely based on foreign language film snobbery, as well as the fact that most people who had seen it had already seen the original, meaning it would never feel as good because most of the surprise had been lost. Either way, it's not a brilliant film - overlong and, in keeping with the reception of the books, takes itself far more seriously than the fairly shallow material justifies. If you actually think about the way the trail of the killer goes it's a bit silly.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Whether you are a film snob, or casual film fan, whether you know everything about film or nothing:

Both are decent films.
Both are close to the book in their own ways.
Both have value.

Ultimately, you will probably enjoy either, but will prefer whichever you saw first.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Really? In that case I'll watch the remake. To be fair, the remake sounds like a good film anyway, given the director/actors involved.

No, not really. The two films are so similar in their take on the book, neither is closer to the spirit of the book than the other.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here