Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Been told to watch the original 2009 version with sub titles rather than the 2011 re make as the later version is a diluted version of the original.
is this a fair comment?

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Haven't read the book or seen the original version but the remake is very good, I'd rather have that girl in my corner than all the action heroes put together!

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Been told to watch the original 2009 version with sub titles rather than the 2011 re make as the later version is a diluted version of the original.
is this a fair comment?

100%. the American version was only made because Americans can't read sub titles. Watch the original because it is far superior to the second version. If you watch it on DVD you can always listen to it in English.

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
100%. the American version was only made because Americans can't read sub titles. Watch the original because it is far superior to the second version. If you watch it on DVD you can always listen to it in English.

Will have to sit down and watch the original then. Seen a few comments saying the samething about the subtitle one being much better. Excellent :clap:
Problem here is most people cant read subtitles and enjoy a movie at the sametime!

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Will have to sit down and watch the original then. Seen a few comments saying the samething about the subtitle one being much better. Excellent :clap:
Problem here is most people cant read subtitles and enjoy a movie at the sametime!

Try the original you won't be disappointed. It has a real gritty feel about it.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
IMHO the remake with Daniel Craig is pretty good but I found the original film with subtitles is slightly more graphic.

However I have to say that neither film is as good as the book, they just don't have the edge that the book generates and both films skate over a fair amount of detail. I thought the sequel books were good and ought to make good films too.

I had to read the Larsson trilogy back to back such was the way the plot gripped me. I am currently enjoying the Jo Nesbo 'Harry Hole' books. Peter James seems quite tame compared to them.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
Both were decent actually. The original is slightly better imo but not by much. Plus subtitles are generally quite irritating unless you're pretentious.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Haven't seen the American version. have seen the original Swedish, which was superb, and people we were watching it with said it was far better than the American version, which in itself was good. I would trust their judgement,

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I saw the swedish version first, and so the american one felt unoriginal and unnecessary. There were aspects that were closer to the book (such as the inclusion of the main character's daughter), but generally, I think whichever you watch first you will enjoy, and the other will seem too similar to make the effort of watching it worthwhile.

The swedish one has two versions as it was originally made for tv, so is longer and in two parts and is 30 minutes longer, and it was edited together for a theatrical release, and naturally the longer version includes more of the book.

Also, you have the added advantage of the swedish version having all three books made into films, and thus if you enjoy it, you can complete the story.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
IMHO the remake with Daniel Craig is pretty good but I found the original film with subtitles is slightly more graphic.

However I have to say that neither film is as good as the book, they just don't have the edge that the book generates and both films skate over a fair amount of detail. I thought the sequel books were good and ought to make good films too.

I had to read the Larsson trilogy back to back such was the way the plot gripped me. I am currently enjoying the Jo Nesbo 'Harry Hole' books. Peter James seems quite tame compared to them.

loved the harry hole nesbo books.. bought them all en masse and didnt take me long to get through all 8.
re the original film - yes, its excellent. my version was dubbed, yet done very well indeed - no need for subtitles. bought all 3 films. fine purchase.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I got The Girl With Eragon Tattoo instead, and to be frank...it was a bit weird!

Agree with the above though - go with the original. For those interested in Scandinavian crime, you could do worse than take a look at the Danish drug films in the fantastic Pusher triology series:

41CB52MTB9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here