2017 (35)
2016 (25)
2015 (37)
2014 (30)
2013 (33)
2012 (23)
2011 (25)
2010 (41)

Hung parliaments and coalitions are not inherently a bad thing for democracies. They tend to force compromise and don't allow tiny majorities/minorities to ride roughshod over the views of others.

In the case of Brexit?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
That's not really true. Here are the years an number of laws passed:

2019 (31)
2018 (34)
2017 (35)
2016 (25)
2015 (37)
2014 (30)
2013 (33)
2012 (23)
2011 (25)
2010 (41)

Hung parliaments and coalitions are not inherently a bad thing for democracies. They tend to force compromise and don't allow tiny majorities/minorities to ride roughshod over the views of others.

Hung Parliaments are a good thing, we have a lot to learn from Europe on this. We just go from one awful government to another. I’d never vote Tory but other than the EU referendum (which is up there with Iraq war & Thatchets’s Poll Tax in terms of political mistakes)the Dave - Nick alliance was very good for the country.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
In the case of Brexit?

That's covered off in 2017, 2018, 2019.

The argument being that since MPs cannot agree on Brexit, it paralyzing the ability to put laws through.

The fact that the amount of laws going through hasn't reduced despite an on-going battle over brexit shows this to be a lie.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Labour cuts Tory lead in weekly poll tracker

The updated Britain Elects poll tracker has Labour up 2.2 per cent, while the Tories are 0.2 per cent down. This is based on poll movements over the past week.

Support for the Brexit Party, meanwhile, has shown a significant dip over the past week, declining 1.3 per cent. :drink:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Hung Parliaments are a good thing, we have a lot to learn from Europe on this. We just go from one awful government to another. I’d never vote Tory but other than the EU referendum (which is up there with Iraq war & Thatchets’s Poll Tax in terms of political mistakes)the Dave - Nick alliance was very good for the country.

The Con / Lib coalition was a successful government of comprimise, both sides had to give and take, it was a tough road to recovery and 2015 was arguably a high water mark.

Then the reigns were given to the Tories to govern alone, that was the point we veered off on a nationalist tangent.

Its a long long way back now

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Con / Lib coalition was a successful government of comprimise, both sides had to give and take, it was a tough road to recovery and 2015 was arguably a high water mark.

Then the reigns were given to the Tories to govern alone, that was the point we veered off on a nationalist tangent.

Its a long long way back now

It will be a longer way back if we get a Tory govt with a healthy majority after the election.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Labour cuts Tory lead in weekly poll tracker

The updated Britain Elects poll tracker has Labour up 2.2 per cent, while the Tories are 0.2 per cent down. This is based on poll movements over the past week.

Support for the Brexit Party, meanwhile, has shown a significant dip over the past week, declining 1.3 per cent. :drink:

I noticed that last night when I popped over to https://britainelects.com after looking at Electoral Calculus.

I decided not to post it as:

a) this devastating news doesn't fit my anti-Labour narrative
b) I thought it nice to save some good news for one of you loony sorts to pick up and share with the thread

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
That's covered off in 2017, 2018, 2019.

The argument being that since MPs cannot agree on Brexit, it paralyzing the ability to put laws through.

The fact that the amount of laws going through hasn't reduced despite an on-going battle over brexit shows this to be a lie.

The MPs to agree on Brexit? Why? There was a referendum in 2016. To leave was the result. A remain MP will NEVER agree , simply delay, scupper and reject to reflect their own personal views, not of the vote.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
In the case of Brexit?

It is doing the right thing with Brexit too, it is not allowing extremists positions like the ERG 'no deal at all costs' or Lib Dems 'revoke at all costs' (i.e. without at least going back to the people) to hijack the process and ruin the country. It is forcing compromise which is always a good thing.

But your original point was this:

Essential though in the instance of getting something important done eg. Brexit.

The last 3 and a bit years have illustrated how difficult it is getting anything through in Parliament without a clear majority.

Which is wrong and therefore not an indictment of PR/hung parliaments/coalition governments.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It is doing the right thing with Brexit too, it is not allowing extremists positions like the ERG 'no deal at all costs' or Lib Dems 'revoke at all costs' (i.e. without at least going back to the people) to hijack the process and ruin the country. It is forcing compromise which is always a good thing.

So why do some (in significant nos.) still vote against the compromise that is presently (or will be post-election) on the table?

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
So why do some (in significant nos.) still vote against the compromise that is presently (or will be post-election) on the table?

For loads of reasons:

- They believe it is not a good compromise
- They believe it still allows a no deal through the back door
- They are an extremist on either side of the argument (ERG or Lib Dem)

After all the Boris deal was only 1 of many possible compromises. That's the point and the fact remains that this hung parliament it is still fostering debate, ensuring scrutiny, pushing compromise and passing laws to run the country (which completely goes against your initial assumption below).

Essential though in the instance of getting something important done eg. Brexit.

The last 3 and a bit years have illustrated how difficult it is getting anything through in Parliament without a clear majority.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
For loads of reasons:

- They believe it is not a good compromise
- They believe it still allows a no deal through the back door
- They are an extremist on either side of the argument (ERG or Lib Dem)

After all the Boris deal was only 1 of many possible compromises. That's the point and the fact remains that this hung parliament it is still fostering debate, ensuring scrutiny, pushing compromise and passing laws to run the country (which completely goes against your initial assumption below).

If you say so :thumbsup:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
For me, the Withdrawal Deal in itself is ok.

It was the wretched Withdrawal Agreement Bill which was the deal breaker - including such gremlins as (a) Parliament having no say in extending the transition period if needed, and (b) the non-binding future relationship document being binding to UK negotiators.

I suspect Johnson pulled the WAB when he realised that these nasties would be amended out of it.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It will be a longer way back if we get a Tory govt with a healthy majority after the election.

The only element of health attached to a Tory majority will be a health warning.

I'm increasingly torn over the plight of many ordinary Brexiter folk. Are they victims of the billionaire non-dom press barons? Or are they just about to get the government they really deserve?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
This is true.
The inability of Joe public to make its own mind up by using its own eyes, ears and brain is astounding.
The front page of a rag like the Sun on the morning of an election has, in the past, made a major contribution to who won.
But the politicians do not help themselves either by not answering or swerving important questions and generally behaving like pillocks, they never ever learn that the public just want straight answers and some truth, they would appreciate it even if they didn't necessarily agree.
One of the many reasons I would never vote for Johnson is because he is a convicted and seriel lier.
Who in their right mind would want someone like that running the country, given a majority he would take great pleasure in doing nothing that he said he would do, he always says what people want to hear at the time depending on where he is.
Admittedly it's a shitty choice but the most dangerous candidate is Johnson, the man is a total idiot.

Takes one to know one.Still an utter chopper then?:hilton::lolol:

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The only element of health attached to a Tory majority will be a health warning.

I'm increasingly torn over the plight of many ordinary Brexiter folk. Are they victims of the billionaire non-dom press barons? Or are they just about to get the government they really deserve?

I'm increasingly torn over the plight of many ordinary remainer folk.... are they worried we may end up as well off as Switzerland or Norway after leaving the money draining EU.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12

Nick had nothing to do with the referendum. That was only possible after kicking the Lib Dems out in 2015. Which further supports your point that the 2010-2015 hung parliament was a good thing.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm increasingly torn over the plight of many ordinary remainer folk.... are they worried we may end up as well off as Switzerland or Norway after leaving the money draining EU.

If only. EFTA membership like these 2 countries is the way to go.

Unfortunately, it seems the snake oil salesmen aren't stocking this option currently - too many bottles of WTO Poison in the warehouse to palm off on idiots first.

With luck we will get there eventually, even if we make an initial false start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here