• Monster Raving Looney Party

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The biggest difference being how you quantify zero hour contracts.

You're employed...but they haven't given me any hours this week...:shrug:

Yep, a lot of people are technically employed, that doesn't tell the whole story though.

Krusty

Sep 9, 2006

Hey hey!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
the original source states "Whilea US-UK trade agreement is being discussed by the respective governments, draft text is not available at present.". they have no access to any negotiations (which are unconfirmed). its guess work and extroplation, comparing different markets. biggest gap is the US number includes all drugs, private, over the counter, result of marketing, while UK is NHS number exluding these and effectivly no marketing. and this point alone refutes the claims, we do not buy all our drugs from US pharma companies - so how would we be forced to US prices?

Let us not forget that Johnson and peers have consistently said the NHS was not for sale.

WHY DID THESE MEETINGS TAKE PLACE THEN.

It's like arguing with blue brick walls.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Let us not forget that Johnson and peers have consistently said the NHS was not for sale.

I genuinely fear for your mental health when Labour take their expected caning a month from now.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
I genuinely fear for your mental health when Labour take their expected caning a month from now.

I fear for every bodies mental health when the Tories rip whatever shred of mental health remain if they somehow manage to get a majority. Unlikely but definitely fearful.

My wife who had to try and kill herself 5 times in the space on 12 months Feb 18 - Feb 19 before she was put in from of an actual psychiatrist to begin diagnosing her would agree with me.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

what, trade meetings? you're asking why trade discussion may (or may not) have taken place?
im not questioning that, or that pharma may have been on the agenda, just that asking why something that is speculation is being presented as fact. we'll see in the next parliament when all the legislation for this comes through, or not.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
It'll be too late then though, won't it? :lolol:

true, but it would wipe out conservative party for a generation or more if they did what's proposed. reality is trade deal would ask for a free market access, so the NICE restrictions to be dropped, not centralised procurement (which is still a free market, NHS is a single entity).

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

and of course, as a cruel twist of fate a tory win would see the continuing decimation of our mental health services....

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
what, trade meetings? you're asking why trade discussion may (or may not) have taken place?
im not questioning that, or that pharma may have been on the agenda, just that asking why something that is speculation is being presented as fact. we'll see in the next parliament when all the legislation for this comes through, or not.

A source confirmed they did. FFS.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lib Dems showing their blue colours again.

Tim Walker dropped out of Canterbury Lab/Tor marginal to prevent a Tory gain.

Lib Dems now say they will choose a replacement candidate to contest it.
Oh right. I'm looking forward to Labour standing down in places like Winchester where they haven't got a cat in hell's chance but could easily end up splitting the anti-Tory vote and letting them in.

Or are you just going to let your tedious Corbyn fanboying just mask your utter hypocrisy?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50397847

Promises, promises.

Labour want a 32 hour working week. How the blue blazes do they think that can possibly improve the standard of living in the UK when developing countries are catching up technologically every day, and their people are chasing a better standard of living and prepared to work far longer hours?

I would love a shorter working week, I will be nearer 60 before I achieve it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50397847

Promises, promises.

Labour want a 32 hour working week. How the blue blazes do they think that can possibly improve the standard of living in the UK when developing countries are catching up technologically every day, and their people are chasing a better standard of living and prepared to work far longer hours?

I would love a shorter working week, I will be nearer 60 before I achieve it.

There are sound arguments behind a 4 day week:

https://www.businessinsider.com/eco...h-to-a-four-day-working-week-2019-2?r=US&IR=T

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/12/four-day-working-week-report

https://www.redpepper.org.uk/less-work-more-play-a-solution-to-britains-economic-woes/

Your initial conclusion is not unreasonable to draw, but sometimes it's worth reading up on the economics of such policies. It's not always as dumb as it seems.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Oh right. I'm looking forward to Labour standing down in places like Winchester where they haven't got a cat in hell's chance but could easily end up splitting the anti-Tory vote and letting them in.

Or are you just going to let your tedious Corbyn fanboying just mask your utter hypocrisy?

It's not a direct comparison.

Labour are running this election, not for the 52%, not for the 48% but for the 99%. They are remaining impartial and want a deal palatable for both sides.

Lib Dem however are making decisions that will directly cause a Tory gain, against their better interests, supposedly to stop Brexit. It is clear however this is not about stopping Brexit, but stopping Corbyn. Her hatred of Corbyn is giving light to Brexit getting through the door. Foolisha nd her voters will never forgive her.

And Labour hate the Tories as much as the Lib Dems so I guess they can take or leave who wins seats like that.

The only marginals Labour should step down in, is for the greens.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It's not a direct comparison.

Labour are running this election, not for the 52%, not for the 48% but for the 99%. They are remaining impartial and want a deal palatable for both sides.

I haven't grasped this one yet. The 2nd referendum they propose, doesn't weigh up to me.

It's THIS DEAL or REMAIN I believe.

So, Remain voters will not vote for the deal. Folks that find an aspect here or an aspect there will not vote for the deal. Hard Brexiteers won't accept the deal. So Remain it would be.

Labour should be proposing No Deal/this deal. Far more balanced, and a vote winner.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
I haven't grasped this one yet. The 2nd referendum they propose, doesn't weigh up to me.

It's THIS DEAL or REMAIN I believe.

So, Remain voters will not vote for the deal. Folks that find an aspect here or an aspect there will not vote for the deal. Hard Brexiteers won't accept the deal. So Remain it would be.

Labour should be proposing No Deal/this deal. Far more balanced, and a vote winner.

When all expert reports confirm no deal would be catastrophic, that makes no sense.

This deal v Remain gives Brexiteers a brexit to vote for, and the democratic remainers a palatable compromise

This Deal v No Deal is just leave or leave. And no deal would never win anyways and has consistently polled badly, even for Brexiters. So this would be a glorified waste of tax payers money to even hold it.

As we have been saying all along, if the public can't agree to a "compromise" brexit, then we were never really meant to leave were we.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
When all expert reports confirm no deal would be catastrophic, that makes no sense.

This deal v Remain gives Brexiteers a brexit to vote for, and the democratic remainers a palatable compromise

This Deal v No Deal is just leave or leave. And no deal would never win anyways and has consistently polled badly, even for Brexiters. So this would be a glorified waste of tax payers money to even hold it.

As we have been saying all along, if the public can't agree to a "compromise" brexit, then we were never really meant to leave were we.

Let's see what Dec/Jan brings.

The suggestion that in the referendum you proposed, that a remainer would vote for the more palatable leave over remain is quite amusing.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
There are sound arguments behind a 4 day week:

https://www.businessinsider.com/eco...h-to-a-four-day-working-week-2019-2?r=US&IR=T

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/12/four-day-working-week-report

https://www.redpepper.org.uk/less-work-more-play-a-solution-to-britains-economic-woes/

Your initial conclusion is not unreasonable to draw, but sometimes it's worth reading up on the economics of such policies. It's not always as dumb as it seems.

I will admit to only skim reading your links. But the Guardian piece makes mention of ‘57% of all sick days being work stress related’, I really struggle to believe that. I am happy to agree that a shorter working week would enable workers to produce more per hour but there is ‘that line’ when the increases are outweighed by less time worked. Added to that is a number of workforce’s chasing the dream of a western lifestyle, China, India, Thailand to name but three. They have historically worked hard just to survive, now they see what can be achieved with up to date technology and production methods. They want a bit of what the west have had.

Many people in the UK still work 40 hours per week, the office norm is 37.5, but to aim for 32 in such a short space of time is just hot air.

This along with free university education, massive increases in funding for the NHS, increased maternity leave, introduction of menopause leave, nationalisation of many private companies equals massive cost, upgrading EVERY UK home with energy saving measures, ‘fix blighted coastal towns’, free bus travel for under 25s etc etc etc.......

It is lie after lie after lie. If not lies, it will bankrupt the UK. But that is what hard left politics does. Unless you like the living standards of the average Russian or North Korean. But I am sure that many young lefties will subscribe to the mantra and then complain that ‘But Jeremy promised us free cider and spliffs’.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports