Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Gay Footballer

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Let's see? So you think it's fine to use language like that, but you're waiting for the mods to tell you? Grow up.

He suffers from depression, though. Which is why I have him on ignore. Its contagious, you see.

:facepalm:

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Bit of a farce really. Like someone said. Just come out. Get done with it. All this dragging it along with make more people aware and allow the trolls to sharpen their knives.

It seems like a sick hoax. But what do i know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Lol comical really

Had it down as a hoax from the start but must admit the more attention seeking it became the more I thought perhaps there someone about to come out .

Shambles

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thinking about it though, how much of a hoax was it ?

Perhaps the person behind the account wasn't a footballer after all. It may have been some kind of social experiment to gauge responses from public and media alike.

If this person has been writing their thesis on social anthropology right now they have no excuse for anything other than a first.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Depressing either way, that it was a hoax, or that the player felt that it was too damaging.

I dont think the press would have run this without being pretty sure it was genuine.

The press? Print something they know is false? NEVER!!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The "gay footballer about to come out" has been an internet meme for a number of years now, and not one active Premier League player has yet to do so.

Others at different levels of the game have... and it doesn't appear to have been a problem.

The Twitter account was probably a hoax, but that doesn't matter, and neither does it matter to me or most other people what sexuality their sporting heroes are.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The press? Print something they know is false? NEVER!!

I don't like throwing colleagues under a bus, but a football reporter with a well-known national newspaper has today tweeted: "You should never knock down other journalists stories, it’s hard to get them it’s easy to deny them." His paper has already reported the completion of Harry Maguire's transfer to Manchester United. Twice. Essentially he's asking for a free pass to make up stories.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think it was genuine, but they didn't realise how much of a response it was going to get and they're regretting making it such a big mystery reveal. Just crack on with it - the tossers will be tossers about it, but the vast majority of people will either be supportive, or won't care. You only get the one life, why intentionally only live part of it?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I think it was genuine, but they didn't realise how much of a response it was going to get and they're regretting making it such a big mystery reveal. Just crack on with it - the tossers will be tossers about it, but the vast majority of people will either be supportive, or won't care. You only get the one life, why intentionally only live part of it?

I think football needs to address this and break down this barrier for the players. It is being built into such a huge thing I would not blame any individual player for avoiding the ridiculous amount of attention any announcement would get. Nobody should be forced to hide away part of who they are and crowds are so diverse these days I think on the whole people would be hugely supportive and the odd idiots should be dealt with in the same manner as racist abuse. Whilst wider society has made progress It is ridiculous football has not made this widely accepted and that is an unacceptable failure of the sport.

Waving a ‘no to homophobia’ banner once a year at a game and waiting for someone to ‘out themselves’ is both lazy and has little or no impact on the problem

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think football needs to address this and break down this barrier for the players. It is being built into such a huge thing I would not blame any individual player for avoiding the ridiculous amount of attention any announcement would get. Nobody should be forced to hide away part of who they are and crowds are so diverse these days I think on the whole people would be hugely supportive and the odd idiots should be dealt with in the same manner as racist abuse. Whilst wider society has made progress It is ridiculous football has not made this widely accepted and that is an unacceptable failure of the sport.

Waving a ‘no to homophobia’ banner once a year at a game and waiting for someone to ‘out themselves’ is both lazy and has little or no impact on the problem

This is a wise post.

Seems to be the case that Coming Out is still a step too far for a professional footballer. Like many other aspects of the professional game, it's completely out of kilter with society as a whole. In a decade, maybe two at most, we'll be looking back on this most pathetic state of affairs with incredulity. Like some of us do now :facepalm:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

But what else should 'football' do, exactly? Clubs and the FA have all said they will support openly gay professional players. Should players put pressure on gay teammates to come out? Obviously not. In the end it will either be a player's decision or it will be revealed by accident.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
But what else should 'football' do, exactly? Clubs and the FA have all said they will support openly gay professional players. Should players put pressure on gay teammates to come out? Obviously not. In the end it will either be a player's decision or it will be revealed by accident.

I think that is a question for football to answer as people in general society have made that leap yet it remains a barrier in our game, why is that? What is it within football clubs, grounds and that environment that makes it seemingly impossible for someone to share that part of their makeup. How much effort are clubs and the game actually going into to understand what is behind this and therefore what action they could take? It is hugely sad that football is projecting itself in this way when really it should reflect and be representative of wider society.

I think the ‘come out and we will support you’ is exactly the problem as it puts all of the pressure on the individual to make the breakthrough and not the clubs or custodians of the game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here