Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The gap between the Premier League and the Championship is now "an abyss"

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Why doesn't last year count ? We should have won that first leg v Derby...

'cos Derby were better than us last year.
'The other lot' weren't that Season.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
I don't agree because this deal has effectively "raised" the stake and the other European clubs with their respective TV deals simply can't compete. Crazy as it may seem the likes of Inter Milan, AC Milan, Marseille, Dortmund and Atletico Madrid face being outbid on wages by Burnley, Hull and Swansea.

Aston Villa's wage bill was already higher (last season) than Atletico Madrid's. Do we really need to debate which team was better?

There will not be a queue forming of top class players eager to join Sunderland or Stoke.

I'll illustrate with a case in point. Aston Villa (wage bill approx £75million) signed this season two players who last season played in Spain for Elche (wage bill approx £10m) - Carlos Sanchez and Carles Gil. In other words, all they were doing were swapping one relegation battle for another. The players, however, were rewarded far more handsomely.

It is the ability to pay which affects the salary. However, there is a limited pool of players with the right profile. The PL clubs are therefore forced to pay a salary which secures the player's signature. That might be £30k per week this year. In two years time I guarantee it will £40-50k for the same players.

In the example I quoted above note that the two players in question will have had their pay increased three or four-fold - not some inconsequential sum. What's more, note that in the case of Carles Gil - who was actually owned by Valencia - Villa are having to shop in Valencia's shadow squad, not amongst their first team regulars.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
That doesn't surprise me. I understand how the probabilities work and thought the real price might be much shorter (I also have confused in my mind prices to win the league and prices to be promoted).

What price do you think we'll be to go up at the start of next season? And then the following season, assuming 3 teams have come down with £50m parachutes...?

Long odds on to make the PL in 5 years sounds very encouraging at the moment!

Parachute money money is obviously an edge for the relegated teams. But in no way insummountable. Cardiff and Fulham are nearer bottom than top this season and Norwich have taken their time to find their stride and are more likely to be in the playoffs than automatic promotion spots. There's no reason Brighton can't replicate the success of Derby, Bournemouth and Middlesbrough.

I think next season will be a rebuilding job. Apart from midfield, I think the rest of the side needs refurbishing. Probably with younger players.

Having said that, I would take 7/1 for promotion in season 15/16. True odds would be 4/1 I think.

After that, it is difficult to say, from 16/17 onwards all the money spent on the academy should be starting to bear fruit.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It is absolutely ridiculous that despite this £5billion gift from Sky that all of those Premier League teams will still be losing money. This new money will all be wasted for the most part on fair-to-middling players who just got one of life's golden tickets.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
yet again this season the parachute payments seem to have made little
difference in league positions in the championship

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
He also argues that TV income in 2016/17 will be an average of 92.4m per club per year in the Prem (Bournemouth ?) , an average of £38m for a Parachute Payment/Champ club (Burnley ?) and £8.7m for a normal Champ club - (the Albion ?)

via
that http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/the-premier-league-tv-deal-master-and.html

or....

He also argues that TV income in 2016/17 will be an average of 92.4m per club per year in the Prem (Albion ?) , an average of £38m for a Parachute Payment/Champ club (Bournemouth ?) and £8.7m for a normal Champ club - (Brentford ?)

Keeping positive :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
'cos Derby were better than us last year.
'The other lot' weren't that Season.

Watford were the best team that season(12/13). They'd taken 6 points off of us, including a 3-1 defeat at the Amex where we couldn't touch them. Somehow they went to pieces at Wembley.
The playoffs are a lottery, and it isn't usually the form team that wins. Look at us in 2004.
Again, using your example, Derby lost to QPR, who were frankly, nothing special.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
About time we just called them separate sports.

From 2016 I propose:
Fleeceball ie European superleague includes top 4 english premier
Stingsball ie Premier League
Football ie current football league
Noball ie grass roots

This would be a far more honest and level playing field because sponsorship would all change in accordance and anyone getting relegated has to share their perverse 'winnings' With rest of division

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I said this before on here, but I can see a time where there are 17 permanent PL teams, and three teams from the championship – they being the ones that go straight back down. Worst case scenario is that those three teams then dominate the following season in the Championship (yes, yes, I know that hasn't happened a great deal recently - Fulham, Cardiff, etc, etc) so they become the three permanent yo-yo clubs (or six, if you count the ones that go up in the alternate seasons).

All rather depressing, really...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here