The Games of the XXXI Olympiad

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
1.34 billion population and only one solitary bronze medal.

FFS India, put down the crisps and get off the couch!

This made me laugh. Some of my Indian friends were boasting of a 'break-through' following their showing in the Dehli Commonwealth Games. The truth is that Indian sports continue to be damaged by corrupt officials and politicians, syphoning off the cash and resources. India is still a third world nation.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Breakfast tv showed our gold medals have been won over 13 different sports, whereas the Americans are over 9. This suggests we are better at sport overall.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Fantastic by Jade Jones. If I had to choose one person to kick my head in, I'd want it to be her.

Jade-Jones-Gold-701411.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Anybody else find they're getting a bit greedy? Being nearly 60 (next year) I cannot believe how many sports Britain are 'good' at. It always used to be the case of the British athlete coming in a plucky 27th whilst drug-fuelled Communists won all the medals (Except China who I don't think took part in the Olympics until 1984).

Now of course we seem to win medals in everything: cycling, rowing, gymnastics, etc. So much so that when I see a sport in which we haven't got a medal hope I think "What the **** is wrong with our beach volleyball (for example) programme? Eh? Eh? Heads must roll!"

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Anybody else find they're getting a bit greedy? Being nearly 60 (next year) I cannot believe how many sports Britain are 'good' at. It always used to be the case of the British athlete coming in a plucky 27th whilst drug-fuelled Communists won all the medals (Except China who I don't think took part in the Olympics until 1984).

Now of course we seem to win medals in everything: cycling, rowing, gymnastics, etc. So much so that when I see a sport in which we haven't got a medal hope I think "What the **** is wrong with our beach volleyball (for example) programme? Eh? Eh? Heads must roll!"

I was annoyed/greedy at London when we didn't win 30 gold medals. I'm younger than you, but growing up watching the LA (5 golds) Seoul (5 golds) Barcelona (5 golds) Olympics, let alone Atlanta (1 gold) I, like you, never thought they'd be Olympics like this for GB. We're 2nd in the medals table with 2 days to go!?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Breakfast tv showed our gold medals have been won over 13 different sports, whereas the Americans are over 9. This suggests we are better at sport overall.
If we were being properly Eastern Bloc/China cynical about the pursuit of Gold, the funding ought to target canoeing.
There's 12 gold medals up for grabs and no one dominant nation.

I know what you mean, earlier I was bemoaning swimming's 7 fourth places.

Being cold and clinical with the funding has created this upsurge, but at what cost?

Basketball no longer receives any lottery funding.
It's hard to imagine your average inner city yoof, dreaming of growing up to be the next Jason Kenny.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
On a non-GB note (although commiserations to Adam Gemili missing out on Bronze in a photo-finish), Usain Bolt is now 8/9 of the way to his 'treble treble' with just the 4x100 relay to go after winning the 200m.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
On a non-GB note (although commiserations to Adam Gemili missing out on Bronze in a photo-finish), Usain Bolt is now 8/9 of the way to his 'treble treble' with just the 4x100 relay to go after winning the 200m.

For a few days at least, until he's stripped of his Beijing relay Gold.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
You're late, and you've forgotten the keeper.

Sorry guv, I've not read through the whole thread. Ashleigh Ball, who was a member of the 2012 squad and in the England team for the European Championship last year, but doesn't seem to be involved this time (she might be in the 31) is from Brighton, and went to my old school in Lindfield.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

This is a really interesting stat. I will say that the US are certs for a few more different ones - water polo and basketball spring to mind.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
For a few days at least, until he's stripped of his Beijing relay Gold.

Even if that is the case (through no fault of his), winning the 100m and 200m in three consecutive Games, plus two untainted relay Golds, is still some going.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Even if that is the case (through no fault of his)
It doesn't matter it's not his fault, a relay race requires fast team-mates, so he couldn't have won it without his druggie mate(s).

winning the 100m and 200m in three consecutive Games, plus two untainted relay Golds
The other relay gold were probably drug fueled too, so hardly untainted.

He's the fastest sprinter ever, and golds in the 100m & 200m in three games, plus the world records is enough testament.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The men's 80kg Taekwondo could get a bit spicy :)

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Charley Hull doing well in the women's golf, currently fourth.

Did anyone hear boos when her name was announced?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports