Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Games of the XXXI Olympiad

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
They've booed in plenty of things, bunch of ****s. Except when they boo the Russian boxers, fair play then.

Nicola Adams fears losing in the Women's fly 51kg boxing to her Russian rival due to the corrupt judges. Russian boxers have become the biggest threat to Adam's hopes of retaining her title, despite the fact that there are no Russians in the weight category.

Interesting from the BBC website:

The AIBA - who run world amateur boxing - have admitted that there have been problems with the officiating and judging at some bouts at the Games.

"Less than a handful of the decisions were not at the level expected and consequently it has been decided that the concerned referees and judges will no longer officiate at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

"In accordance with AIBA Rules the result of all the bouts will stand."

So in essence they've used some woolly language and admitted the judges are corrupt but are happy to let the results stand. I wonder how much Putin credited their swiss bank accounts for those favourable results?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
What did the yanks do wrong?

Do you not remember all the jingoism and constant chants of 'YOU-ES-EH' at every event? There was only one team competing, or that's how it seemed.

If I recall correctly after The Olympic Park bombing, there was a memorial service and the mayor of Atlanta opened proceedings by thanking the sponsors.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Shock, horror - Kenya win gold in the men's 3000m Steeplechase. Brave run by the American for silver though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did I hear correctly?
I thought I heard someone on the wireless say Team GB swimming got six 4th places.

Bit of a poor showing if true.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Did I hear correctly?
I thought I heard someone on the wireless say Team GB swimming got six 4th places.

Bit of a poor showing if true.

Agreed. Being the fourth best in the world in your event is absolutely shit.

(They did also get 1 gold and five silvers, plus another gold, silver and two bronzes in the diving - same federation)

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed. Being the fourth best in the world in your event is absolutely shit.

(They did also get 1 gold and five silvers, plus another gold, silver and two bronzes in the diving - same federation)

For the funding they've received swimming has consistently under performed.
It seems like there's always 1 world beating athlete and no back up.

6 fourth places would suggest whatever 'it' is, they only have 99% of 'it'.

I do appreciate that swimming is more competitive than many sports like cycling.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
For the funding they've received swimming has consistently under performed.
It seems like there's always 1 world beating athlete and no back up.

6 fourth places would suggest whatever 'it' is, they only have 99% of 'it'.

I do appreciate that swimming is more competitive than many sports like cycling.

Personally I'd say that swimming has under-performed UNTIL these games. Their increased haul from the previous two is massive.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do you not remember all the jingoism and constant chants of 'YOU-ES-EH' at every event?
It was 20 years ago and we were so rubbish I either didn't watch much or I've blocked it from my memory.

If I recall correctly after The Olympic Park bombing, there was a memorial service and the mayor of Atlanta opened proceedings by thanking the sponsors.
:eek:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The Germans have just lost on penalties to the very attractive and defending Olympic champions the Dutch in the first women's hockey semi. GB v NZ in the second semi later.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I'll be glad when this is all over, getting on my tits now with idiots wetting their undies that we win a gold in some tin pot sport that no one has heard of and nobody plays. When we win a GOLD in the 100M and win the World Cup or the next Euro then that will be worth getting excited about not some bloke in tights chasing some old bloke on a moped , I got nicked for that once

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Germans have just lost on penalties to the very attractive and defending Olympic champions the Dutch in the first women's hockey semi.
Was hoping Germany won, just on the off chance we make the final.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I'll be glad when this is all over, getting on my tits now with idiots wetting their undies that we win a gold in some tin pot sport that no one has heard of and nobody plays. When we win a GOLD in the 100M and win the World Cup or the next Euro then that will be worth getting excited about not some bloke in tights chasing some old bloke on a moped , I got nicked for that once

The only discernible achievement you may have made in your pathetic little life might be only to have sex and write crappy 'humourous' threads but many people out there can recognise and acknowledge the dedication, hard work and sweat of these athletes to achieve their sporting dreams...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The only discernible achievement you may have made in your pathetic little life might be only to have sex and write crappy 'humourous' threads
I think you should start a thread about it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The only discernible achievement you may have made in your pathetic little life might be only to have sex and write crappy 'humourous' threads but many people out there can recognise and acknowledge the dedication, hard work and sweat of these athletes to achieve their sporting dreams...
1/10

Awful grammar and spelling but no capital letters and not funny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here