The Games of the XXXI Olympiad

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Could still be Silver for Max, but even with Bronze its our first medal in this for 108 years according to the commentators.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What a great day for Team GB, so much success, so many good stories, things are really happening now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A shame this little gem went unnoticed. Until now. :clap:
I'm heart broken I missed the moment when the usual 'why aren't we playing football at the Olympics' thread popped up.

Last edited:

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
I feel the organisers have missed a trick with the golf which started this morning. Surely team matchplay, fourballs or foursomes Ryder cup style would have been a much better option. Could even have combined the men and women, each country having two teams of mixed doubles? Would have brought so much more excitement and something new and unique to the game.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Too expensive for a lot of locals, fewer visitors than London due to distance/cost/safety, and if it's not football they're not that bothered........................

Bizarre really there's 200m people in Brazil alone, someone has really got the ticketing completely wrong

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bizarre really there's 200m people in Brazil alone, someone has really got the ticketing completely wrong

Funnily enough just had a call with a Brazilian girl that works for me, so I asked her. She said there is virtually no interest outside of Rio - it's seen very much as the Rio games, not the Brazil games. Couple that with lack of willingness to travel internally (may be 200m people, but can be several hours flying time unlike London for the 2012 for us) and externally and a broken economy in Brazil it's not a great surprise. Agree re ticketing though - you'd think they would have modified whatever approach they had to make sure more got shifted, even if they gave them away (which they're now doing to schools etc to fill seats)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would be grand if the BBC website - and the BBC News Channel - gained a sense of perspective on the Olympics and stopped prioritising it above real news. Need to turn to Sky or RT on the hour/half-hour to get their take on the proper news headlines.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Would be grand if the BBC website - and the BBC News Channel - gained a sense of perspective on the Olympics and stopped prioritising it above real news. Need to turn to Sky or RT on the hour/half-hour to get their take on the proper news headlines.

Murdoch is bitter can can't get the Olympics on Sky, Putin is bitter his boys got busted

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports