[News] The Furlough Argument

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Buckingham Palace belongs to the state. She owns Windsor Castle and Sandringham.

As has been said, these quoted aren't royal, but married minor royals.
That's the point. Pavilionnaire was quoting a figure that implied the Queen owned all the wealth of the British monarchy.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That's the point. Pavilionnaire was quoting a figure that implied the Queen owned all the wealth of the British monarchy.
Does it matter? The queen uses Buckingham Palace. I don't remember being invited to use it whereas even if BP doesn't actually belong to the queen, it may as well do. The only difference is that it doesn't appear on the royal family's ever-shady and highly secretive balance sheet.

Just bin the pointless f**kers.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Dont feel that strongly but if I was worth millions I would like to think on principle I wouldnt put staff on furlough which after all has to be paid back in taxes by our children and grandchildren

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Don't forget that anything the royals do personally own is mostly by virtue of being the inheritors of a time when the state and the crown were one and the same. They're not exactly self-made.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm just pissed off with the Daily Mail and the cretins that post on their comments section, going up to the Woodvale Crem shortly to cheer myself up.

May I offer a suggestion?

*Ahem*

Stop reading the Daily Mail.

There will be no charge for this advice :wink:

Edit: shit stirring over minor Royals (that aren't black) is a new thing for the Fail, though.
Oh, hang on, Tindall is a bit northern. That'll explain it.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
There is no such thing as the Civil List anymore, was done away with when the Sovereign Grant came in in 2012. This gives a percentage of the Crown Estate monies to the Royal Household to perform their duties for that year, so neither of them will more than likely benefit from it. So yeah, complete non story.

Seeing as the Royals have had zero duties to perform for the past year it would be interesting to know if the Sovereign Grant reflects this.

I think I can probably guess the answer.

All in it together, obvs

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Does it matter? The queen uses Buckingham Palace. I don't remember being invited to use it whereas even if BP doesn't actually belong to the queen, it may as well do. The only difference is that it doesn't appear on the royal family's ever-shady and highly secretive balance sheet.

I'm not a royalist by any stretch of the imagination, but apparently, the revenue they generate in tourism is quite important. Once again, apparently, people from far and wide queue up outside Buck palace expecting to grab a glimpse of our liz picking the milk off the doorstep in her robe and curlers

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I have. :smile:

HOFNSKIN

Feb 12, 2012
"In the last 24 hours or so, two names have been thrown into the bear pit by the media, Mike Tindall, Prince Anne's son in law and James Matthews, Prince Williams brother in law, who have both been criticised for putting members of their staff into the furlough scheme."

Prince Williams brother in law is James Middleton ?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

There are many, many other pointless fvckers, that cost the country far more...
And if you add it all up they cost far more than the monarchy, and actually they don’t bring anything to the table in terms of revenue to the country,I’d love to bin them all, I feel your angst.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
"In the last 24 hours or so, two names have been thrown into the bear pit by the media, Mike Tindall, Prince Anne's son in law and James Matthews, Prince Williams brother in law, who have both been criticised for putting members of their staff into the furlough scheme."

Prince Williams brother in law is James Middleton ?

Pippa Middleton is married to James Matthews.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
There are many, many other pointless fvckers, that cost the country far more...
And if you add it all up they cost far more than the monarchy, and actually they don’t bring anything to the table in terms of revenue to the country,I’d love to bin them all, I feel your angst.

hoodat?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The only problem I would have with this would be if they were using the furlough scheme but then insisting that the individuals still worked, which some high profile tries have been doing according to Private Eye.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Pippa Middleton is married to James Matthews.

I get Pippa is Will’s sister-in-law, but does her husband also become his brother-in-law? I’ve never been clear on how this works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I get Pippa is Will’s sister-in-law, but does her husband also become his brother-in-law? I’ve never been clear on how this works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That sibling is legally and genealogically a stranger to you. Your*spouse's*siblings (full, half or step) and your siblings' spouses are all your*brothers-in-law*and*sisters-in-law. ... So the*brother*of your*brother-in-law*(i.e.*sister's*husband) is simply your*brother-in-law's brother.

There's also no Prince Anne... [emoji846]

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
741285 companies now using the scheme. Full list available online. Doubt HMRC will be able to check them all but I'm also guessing that the system can do checks from the employers returns of a year ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports