Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The French Pension Protests

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Corrected your numbers slightly :)
My point is that the protests we do see in this country seem to be of the mindless 'look at me' variety by a small number of people. Take the idiots that protested about the environment by climbing on top of tube trains - they are actually inconveniencing the very people that are using the more sustainable forms of transport. The French would have protested by marching through the centre of a city disrupting the traffic instead.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big protester (the only protests I've joined were those against the former owners of our football club) but if you're going to do something do it properly

Not to be a pendant, but;

In fact, it's worse that - our government forces a hard Brexit on the country that demonstrably reduces living standards, and 26.54% of the country think it was done for their benefit, 24.6% do nothing about it except whinge on twitter, and the remaining 48.86% seemingly don't care either way*.

*Or are too young, too old, not registered, etc

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
So, let me get this straight. French protesters, standing up for their rights, standing up to their government, wonderful they don't roll over like the Brits. Brits who do protest - twats.

Yep, that seems pretty straightforward...................
Roll over like the Brits? I seem to remember the French allegedly rolled over in the late 1930’s early 40’s 😉

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Didn’t take you long 😂

I‘m in Paris with my wife and they closed the road due to a potential riot. 🤷‍♂️
The most romantic city in the world with your beautiful wife ( she actually is) and you’re on NSC giving us a running commentary on the protests, you can take the boy out of journalism but you’ll never take the journalist out of the boy 😂

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We were directly affected by this flying to Paris on Sat 1 April. Our flight was delayed leaving Gatwick by a few hours, they said French ATC were striking over the pension reforms. Then at CDG, similarly, ground staff refused to attend to our plane for 20 minutes for the same reason.

The French have little private pension provision, it just was never their thing, making Macron’s reforms more painful.

The great and good of nsc who’ve comfortably retired in their 50’s (see retirement thread), that’s tricky in France.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
As I'm a bit uncertain of my retirement age at the moment, it has crossed my mind to link it to the retirement age in France. The age good enough for them is good enough for me.

The new age of 64 seems reasonable but I fully support their protests to keep it younger. Lol.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not quite prancing around a May pole is it?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I suppose the difference is that the British "twats" tend to protest against stuff like environmental or animal rights issues. The public at large are more concerned with their living standards, pensions, cost of living and so on - and there isn't really a groundswell of support for any group that protests against any government that threatens those things. The last time we had that was the poll tax riots in the 80s!

In fact, it's worse that - our government forces a hard Brexit on the country that demonstrably reduces living standards, and a good third of the country think it was done for their benefit and the other two thirds do nothing about it except whinge on twitter.
It’s even worse than that, some people are so dim they can’t process what the effect of 895bn of QE would do to the British economy, especially at a time when we can’t produce all our own energy.

https://news.sky.com/story/cost-of-...lity-for-crisis-former-governor-says-12617190

Fire up the National razor, we can start on the imbeciles first, then the BOE etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here