[Albion] The flare and the penalty

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
At least 3 players should’ve been ahead of Gross to take it. I don’t care if he’s scored 122 pens in training this week. You DO NOT put a rusty, out of form player on a pen like that.

If Maupay had blasted that into row z I’d have accepted it. But that miss was just so obviously going the happen.

Yep, so it is possibly GPs fault for nominating Gross.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
There is a tweet from an Albion fan , that shows a Palace player encroaching about 3 yards from the edge of the D to nearly inside the penalty area. I’ve been trying to download it, but for some reason I can’t. Anyway, the pen should have been retaken .

We would probably have missed again though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There is a tweet from an Albion fan , that shows a Palace player encroaching about 3 yards from the edge of the D to nearly inside the penalty area. I’ve been trying to download it, but for some reason I can’t. Anyway, the pen should have been retaken .

We would probably have missed again though.

This one?

[tweet]1482296656636915712[/tweet]

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Can’t remember to be honest. I would guess his record is probably 8 out of 10 ish which is fine, you can’t score them all.

He's now sored 3 of his last six penalties. His last one was at West Brom last season, and he walloped it over the bar.

He hasn't played for weeks, and hasn't scored all season.

There were three players on the pitch that have scored penalties this season. Gross taking the penalty last night was a bizarre decision, IMHO.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
That’s the one.

Player's foot is pretty much still on the line
Nit-picking to say that's encroachment, or complain about the flare imo.

It was a crap penalty and got saved.That's it.

I quite like the flares and smoke bombs. Relatively harmless and adds atmosphere

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

It was a crap penalty and got saved.That's it.

I quite like the flares and smoke bombs. Relatively harmless and adds atmosphere

You do know that players are not allowed in the D of the penalty area before the kick is taken?
Therefore the palace player is encroaching by approx 3 yards.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the entire point of the D is to keep behind in a penalty, marking 10yds. it serves no other purpose in the game. so wtf are the ref and linesman not enforcing this (not uncommon).

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No excuses, a shit penalty. He never looked like scoring, zero conviction. He was poor in open play too, not a good night or few months for Gross.

Indeed. Loads of good passes played out to him on the right hand side in the first half. Most of them wasted. The penalty was awful and I don’t think the flare can be used as an excuse.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This one?

[tweet]1482296656636915712[/tweet]

Bev is completely wrong. That guy could have been two yards further forward and it still wouldn’t be cause for a retake. If the player who booted the saved ball out for a corner had been encroaching by 6 inches, however, THAT would have forced a retake.

The player who cleared it, is one of the two stood by Moder, on the near side of the box.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
And had he been the player to clear the ball following the save then the penalty would have been retaken.

That is not the law, if a player from the defending side encroaches, and no goal is scored from the kick, the penalty should be retaken.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports