Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Five Clarifications

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
To be fair you could also say 1 point from a possible 9 against Brentford & Fulham who were in the mix also has a big impact on our final position
Yes, but they were legitimate defeats. Fair enough. To be potentially 9 points (let's say 6 even based on most teams losing points to var at some stage over the season) better off as we should be would put us deservedly in the CL positions or at worst 5th. It still really angers me now looking at the table and seeing spurs's position and bloody Villa now ahead of us - albeit with 2 games in hand but we have a tough run-in and there's no guarantee we'll get the points in our games in hand.

Have to trust that a) we don't get screwed over yet again (I'm not holding my breath) and who knows maybe for once actually benefit from a dodgy var call, and b) that RDZ has the lads ultra-fired up for the run-in what with the injustice of var on us

Us missing out on European football in a season like this (very unlikely that Liverpool and Chelsea will be as poor next season) by a point or so would be bloody sickening

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Looking at that Albion video dispassionately then:

- Lenglet "handball" - he's leaning into block Veltman, not reaching out for the ball. Impossible to say conclusively it hit his hand.
- Mitoma goal - close enough to his bicep for VAR to go with the assistant. Under IFAB's latest interpretation, that would be handball. Surprised to see the linesman flag though for such a marginal call. Very unusual these days. Doubt VAR would have intervened if he'd kept his flag down.
- Mac Allister "goal". One angle clearly shows the ball coming off his hip. The wobble of his hand on the other suggests it MIGHT have hit his arm. Might really shouldn't be enough to overrule a goal, especially when another view offers an entirely different story.
- Mitoma, nailed-on penalty.
- Dunk, nailed-on penalty.

So, by my reckoning, assuming we score both penalties, we win 4-2. Even if we miss them both, we get a point and stop Spurs pulling away.

**EDIT** on the other Albion video, the challenge that's really gone under the radar: the push on Solly when he was clean through. An even clearer shove than I thought at the time and closer to the penalty area than I realised. Was he offside or something? That's a free-kick and yellow card at best.. arguably a straight red.

Last edited:

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Classy yes, magnanimous yes.

But CE's of all other clubs would be approaching these situations with the sort of malevolent ferocity which is calculated to make sure this sort of thing never happens again. We don't and it continues to happen to us. I actually quite like the fact that we're nice. But there's a massive downside.
Think the Club/PB approach is spot on. Any "malevolent ferocity" should be delivered behind closed doors. It's important that the club do make any public statements that might let PGMOL or the FA attempt to wrest the moral high ground,.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
Looking at that Albion video dispassionately then:

- Lenglet "handball" - he's leaning into block Veltman, not reaching out for the ball. Impossible to say conclusively it hit his hand.
- Mitoma goal - close enough to his bicep for VAR to go with the assistant. Under IFAB's latest interpretation, that would be handball. Surprised to see the linesman flag though for such a marginal call. Very unusual these days. Doubt VAR would have intervened if he'd kept his flag down.
- Mac Allister "goal". One angle clearly shows the ball coming off his hip. The wobble of his hand on the other suggests it MIGHT have hit his arm. Might really shouldn't be enough to overrule a goal, especially when another view offers an entirely different story.
- Mitoma, nailed-on penalty.
- Dunk, nailed-on penalty.

So, by my reckoning, assuming we score both penalties, we win 4-2. Even if we miss them both, we get a point and stop Spurs pulling away.

**EDIT** on the other Albion video, the challenge that's really gone under the radar: the push on Solly when he was clean through. An even clearer shove than I thought at the time and closer to the penalty area than I realised. Was he offside or something? That's a free-kick and yellow card at best.. arguably a straight red.
If you look at a replay of the Lenglet handball(a) every Brighton player reacts the moment his arm goes near the ball, and (b) in the close up on the "Contenious Calls In The Capital" video you can see the ball change direction as his arm waves in front of Veltman.

If the Mitoma goal is not allowed, then it's a penalty as he was pushed from behind.

So that's 6-2

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I am led to believe that the transcript from Saturdays Mitoma incident went a little something like this.

Attwell: "No penalty"
Salisbury "We'll check that"
Attwell: "Go ahead, not a pen from my view"
Salisbury: "Yep, looks a clear pen to us in VAR studio"
Attwell: "But I triple captained a Spurs defender in my FPL"
Salisbury: "say no more, play on"

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I am led to believe that the transcript from Saturdays Mitoma incident went a little something like this.

Attwell: "No penalty"
Salisbury "We'll check that"
Attwell: "Go ahead, not a pen from my view"
Salisbury: "Yep, looks a clear pen to us in VAR studio"
Attwell: "But I triple captained a Spurs defender in my FPL"
Salisbury: "say no more, play on"

I think it was more like.

Attwell: No penalty
Salisbury: OK

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Not sure if already posted somewhere, so apologies if fixtures...... #BarberOUT is very classy and magnanimous.

Very professional, very magnanimous and extremely disappointing imo. I just hope he is ripping PGMOL and the FA a new one in private because there may not be another game so horrendously officiated for years and he nust not let this opportunity go.
What would SAF do? He would have Salisbury dragged from Stockley Park tied to the back of a Bentley and kicked todeath by Roy Keane in the centre circle.Then he would have demanded 3 points plus another 3 for the insult.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Think the Club/PB approach is spot on. Any "malevolent ferocity" should be delivered behind closed doors. It's important that the club do make any public statements that might let PGMOL or the FA attempt to wrest the moral high ground,.
You are just hoping, as I am, that BarberOBE has gone totally "attack dog" in private. If he hasn't it's a crying shame.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Not stood down, moved to a Championship match (QPR tomorrow) "under the radar". No time off to contemplate his useless performance.
You'd be pissed off if you were a fan of a championship club. This man is too shit to make correct decisions with multiple replays and camera angles so as punishment he can officiate you without either of these

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here