Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The first Ipswich goal. Have I missed the 'hang the keeper' thread?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think I'm just about the only other person who agrees with you that he is overrated. There have been quite a few goals at The Amex this season that he could have done much better with, with Ipswich's first being the latest in a string of examples. Strangely, he doesn't seem to make as many mistakes away from home, which makes me wonder whether he switches off at home when he hasn't had much to do. He very rarely drops an almighty clanger that will stick in the memory, but far too many average, weak shots beat him. He's a decent goalkeeper, you'd have to be a fool to claim he's BAD, but my issue with him is that he's not good enough to justify being a high earner. So if he is one, we should release him and get someone just as good for less money.

Count me in as well. To be fair he'd had a number of good games in a row but Brez would have been hung drawn and quartered on here for the same error. I have exactly the same thoughts; he is one of the better keepers in the league but I suspect there is better value out there if he is (as we all suspect) one of the higher earners.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's not utterly bizarre at all. Just saying what I saw from WSL, I've not seen it since. He should have done better and was at fault. For me, Brez was the bizarre goal with far too much time to catch it, TK at least had to get over players to clear - which he failed to do. To say it's identical is plainly wrong.

Yes - you'll note, I actually said 'NEAR identical'. TK actually DID get there though, so he wasn't significantly impeded . He just completely missed the ball when he got there.

There's no need for anyone to get defensive on behalf of TK, in response to this thread. He's clearly a very good keeper, and unquestionnably the best keeper at the club. I just find the double standards interesting, that's all.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
There's no need for anyone to get defensive on behalf of TK, in response to this thread. He's clearly a very good keeper, and unquestionnably the best keeper at the club. I just find the double standards interesting, that's all.

Except if you think about it - there is no double standard. Just an understanding that everyone makes mistakes - and the fewer the mistakes the less likely any criticism.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Except if you think about it - there is no double standard. Just an understanding that everyone makes mistakes - and the fewer the mistakes the less likely any criticism.

I disagree. I appreciate the concept of the more reliable keeper being 'in credit', and thus being more easily forgiven for the mistake, but what actually happens is you get people trying to pretend it wasn't (that bad) a mistake at all. "He was impeded by the defenders. Not his fault".

Its daft. Call each incident as you see it.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
When I first saw the goal I just assumed that TK had been blocked out of it. I was staggered when I watched the replay at how the Ipswich player scored virtually unchallenged. It was just appalling defending. Inexcusable. The second was just as bad with the diminutive Williams wriggling easily past Buckley on the by-line, with Bruno nowhere.
Ipswich were a hard working but ordinary side and we gifted them 3 points.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It was the defence to deal with. I did not blame Brezovan for the first one, so I did not blame Kuszczak for this one.

Barnes should have come back to mark him. Oops! Seriously, it was awful to be done in the same way twice. Maybe, we should copy this tactic as it worked for Davies and Hull against Sunderland even more easily then it worked against us.

Also, this time the cross was straight from a corner and against Hull it was a short corner routine which meant we were taken by surprise.

Daryl Murphy both goals caused the trouble.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Really ? So you expect a star striker who has scored in each of the last say, four games and misses a sitter to get the same level of criticism as a fellow striker who misses a similar chance but has not scored all season. Hypothetically like.

Seems a bit unreasonable to me. Double standard or not.

He might get DIFFERENT criticism, but if the miss was a shocker I'd expect it to be called as such, yes.

"The guy is great at heading normally, but today he's put three very presentable chances all wide of the far post. (along with the keeper) He's cost us three points today"*

as opposed to "He's shit. Get rid".

*Which was in a nutshell my own summing up of the game, Saturday night.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Count me in as well. To be fair he'd had a number of good games in a row but Brez would have been hung drawn and quartered on here for the same error. I have exactly the same thoughts; he is one of the better keepers in the league but I suspect there is better value out there if he is (as we all suspect) one of the higher earners.

He's probably the best shot stopper in the league but his weaknesses are why he's in the championship. There'll be plenty of keepers to choose from should he not be here next season. We're missing out on better quick distribution for starters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here