Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The first crack in Graham Potter's calm demeanour?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good on him for calling the boo boys out.

My eldest son was disappointed with ANOTHER draw. I simply said to him we are 8th in the Prem and not scoring. If we were scoring, we would be challenging City and Pool.

How some fans can not be happy with the way we are slow but surely improving as a club makes them appear entitled.

We are a very hard to beat team with a bottom 5 budget, sitting in 8th and can't score for toffee.

It's all about perspective.

Well done Graham and the players.

Could be tenth by the end of today. Which is still fantastic but we're only heading one way. Only three defeats all season but no win in eight. Would be pretty entitled to say "we should be beating teams like Leeds". Except we pretty much lent them the player who got them up when he couldn't get in our team and we've won 8 of the last 11 games between us.

Let's see where we are at Christmas. Personally I think we've got a coach who is OK but nowhere near as good as his publicity, very good defenders, a half decent midfield and virtually nothing up front, and that will equate to somewhere between 17th and 14th at the end of the season (that was my prediction before the season kicked off too, as ever will be delighted to be proven wrong, but we'll see).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This, absolutely. Potter has done a fantastic job In a way I'm glad that Potter called the fans out rather than kept it inside him, because it gives people a chance to show him and the players a bit of love at the next few home games.

It was customers he was calling out, not fans. Probably the same members of the Potter Out Campaign who criticised the manager for not showing enough emotion in press conferences or on the touch line last season.

Well, they got their emotion yesterday.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This, absolutely. Potter has done a fantastic job at the Albion and will be in demand at the end of the season, if not before. Until yesterday, I believed, based on information from someone close to him, that only an offer from a huge club would tempt him away. Now I'm not so sure, and there may be one or two players who are also wondering how they can be booed after a performance like that. Well, in fact I know there are.

In 1982, the supporters effectively got rid of the manager who took us to our highest league position before this season, but Mike Bailey's football, although it got results, was hard to watch. That isn't the case now. We are currently seeing the best football most of us have watched since the days of Ward and Lawrenson, achieved on a budget much lower than those of the teams around us. And we're eighth!

In a way I'm glad that Potter called the fans out rather than kept it inside him, because it gives people a chance to show him and the players a bit of love at the next few home games. It's not his fault that Neal Maupay couldn't hit a cow's backside with any one of a selection of stringed instruments. He has to work with what he has been given, and the temptation to go somewhere he is given more if what he's doing isn't appreciated night be growing.

Indeed. And it is absurd that NSC gives house room to a tit (we all know who he is) who doesn't go to games (unless there is some scope for trouble, like he Citeh semi) and yet posts on NSC in defence of booing.

I would say that our football at times yesterday put Vicente in the shade. Trossard especially, but also Lamptey and Webster were off the scale and ripped Leeds a new one.

Yes we need a better striker. Anyone who thinks that justifies booing, and is happy to say so in the cold light of the post match cool-down, is plain and simple an entitled know-nothing moron who does not support the club :shrug:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Strange that its only BHA fans he has had a go at... the bloke would walk a mile out of his way to avoid criticising referees, oppo players, managers, VAR etc usually.

Refs, opponent players, managers and VAR are not trying their best to demoralise and lower the self-confidence of his players however, so there is no reason for him to defend his players against those things.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Criticism of referees and/or VAR brings no good except a £15000 fine from the FA.
Criticism of opposition players or managers comes across as sour grapes.
Neither helps us, nor has any control of how he manages our team.

He was asked a leading question, to which he had to give a response. Some fans don’t like it. Tough.

Indeed. And some on here sound like spiteful cry-babies. Someone (can't be bothered to read who) thinks that because he has the most expensive squad we have ever had we are entitled to expect more. Some of these comments beggar belief.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
For me, the booing by a few and the comments by GP, were just manifesting the all round frustrations inevitably felt by many at yet another game where we dominated, but failed to put the ball in the net.
Watching on the box, the most telling thing at the end of the game was the ‘pissed offedness’ looks on the faces of some of the players, especially Tross. I do wonder if our ability to waste scoring opportunities is/may be causing a bit of friction amongst team mates, behind closed doors.
This old fellow, settled down on the settee, with a sizeable glass of whisky, log burner glowing , looking forward to an entertaining game and a win, and I have to admit to shouting and swearing at the telly a bit, especially at Monsieur Maupay, but I didn’t boo though, just grumbled to my wife and poured another dram.:D:D
Overall, we are in a decent position in the table and despite the lack of a win, I enjoyed the game.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Don’t agree at all, the night Knockhaert stole the show against Manure was far more exciting attacking with intent football.

If last night is what you enjoy then fair enough, personally an ok performance with a 2-0 win would of been more memorable than last nights efforts. We remember beating Leeds last season, we will soon forget a 0-0.

I didn’t say it was memorable, I said it wasn’t boring and we played some great football - which we did. This thing that football is a ‘results business’ - I don’t support a business, I support a football team, I go to watch 90mins of football, not just goals or results. Would I rather win? Of course I would, but can I still enjoy a game we don’t, yes I can. Not everyone swallows this media hype about results business.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
It's not his fault that Neal Maupay couldn't hit a cow's backside with any one of a selection of stringed instruments. He has to work with what he has been given, and the temptation to go somewhere he is given more if what he's doing isn't appreciated night be growing.

Picking up on this, I'm afraid, to a degree it is.

Maupay started the season on fire and he's an emotional, confidence player. He was then sacrificed due to our tactical ineptitude against Man City (yes, I know) which worked a treat against Liverpool, but not at all against a Newcastle side who are still without a win and a Villa side who'd lost their previous five. And, what is more, that's exactly the same as he did when he dropped Maupay and Ryan against Spurs and went with Trossard up top in that game. It didn't exactly help a fragile character.

But the more worrying thing is that he was happy with his attacking options in the first place. Welbeck is a great pro but a walking injury, Maupay is the next best and after that you have a series of failures. If he wants those chances put away he needs to be beating Bloom and Ashworth's door down now to do something about it in January. And, again, "something" may be a risk but either you're happy with Maupay, in which case play and indulge him or you're not, in which case cash in while you can. He'd certainly be attractive to a top Championship side.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
It was a minority so Graham really needs to learn to rise above that. Responses like that annoy fans in the same way reading Barbers programme notes where he always focuses on a small number of fans rather than acknowledging the majority.

I don’t think anyone (even those who did boo) left the stadium feeling the side played badly just frustration at the all too common sight of a side dominating games but again failing to come away with the points the performance deserved.

This is the reason I booed ! Minority maybe but every similar result from now on will result in growing numbers . How many do you think will bother to turn up 8pm on Boxing Day evening to watch the all to same result ? . I already know of a few that just couldn’t be bothered because they know what’s comming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Picking up on this, I'm afraid, to a degree it is.

Maupay started the season on fire and he's an emotional, confidence player. He was then sacrificed due to our tactical ineptitude against Man City (yes, I know) which worked a treat against Liverpool, but not at all against a Newcastle side who are still without a win and a Villa side who'd lost their previous five. And, what is more, that's exactly the same as he did when he dropped Maupay and Ryan against Spurs and went with Trossard up top in that game. It didn't exactly help a fragile character.

But the more worrying thing is that he was happy with his attacking options in the first place. Welbeck is a great pro but a walking injury, Maupay is the next best and after that you have a series of failures. If he wants those chances put away he needs to be beating Bloom and Ashworth's door down now to do something about it in January. And, again, "something" may be a risk but either you're happy with Maupay, in which case play and indulge him or you're not, in which case cash in while you can. He'd certainly be attractive to a top Championship side.

Not really his job, is it.

If you build a professional organisation with 600+ employees and still need some bloke from middle management, in charge of the "improve what you have" division, go knock on doors to those in charge of the "provide the guy in charge of improve what you have division with something he could work with", you might as well scrap the latter entirely. If you look at the BHAFC Linkedin you'll find 100+ people working in recruitment, scouting and analytics. Its one thing if they cant solve the problems, because it is difficult, but if they are seriously incapable of even identifying the problems, it means the organisation is flawed and the personnel incompetent.

Luckily I dont believe that is the case, they are just struggling with the solution and then no door knocking is going to help.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Good for him, it upset him mainly because he wants to protect his players, imagine being Lamptey sat there listening to a few hundred tossers who've no idea how football works , you boo when your team doesn't give a fk and don't put in the yards, we didn't score, but there was so much else to enjoy about that performance, That's not a cracking in Potters calm demeanour it's him caring about his players.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Not really his job, is it.

Yes. Yes it is.

I run a team at work. When I need to expand it or change it I go to my big bosses and explain why, secure the budget and help find the right fit.

If we're just going to give him some players to coach we might as well give him Whitehawk Under 12s. Surely such a genius will have them winning the Champions League in five years?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Some boos were absolutely inevitable. Always have been and always will be. For instance, West Brom got some boos on Friday night at the end of a home 0-0. They are 3rd in their league.

Interesting that GP’s guard also slipped at the end of his own frustrating evening.

My disappointment was expressed by not waiting to clap the players off. I usually clap regardless of the result - but last night just didn’t feel like it.

I started to clap the players, but saw most of them piss off straight down the Tunnel, just Dunk and Moder I think made a move towards the fans to acknowledge support, but in fairness, it was ****ing cold, and they had possibly just heard some boos. Should have been 2 up inside 10 minutes, shit happens as they say, it just keeps happening to us in front of goal, and bringing Locadia on is not the answer.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes. Yes it is.

I run a team at work. When I need to expand it or change it I go to my big bosses and explain why, secure the budget and help find the right fit.

If we're just going to give him some players to coach we might as well give him Whitehawk Under 12s. Surely such a genius will have them winning the Champions League in five years?

So why do you have a 100 man team in charge of identifying areas of improvement and identifying what those improvements would be if it is all down to the coach? Do these 100 people dont have any responsiblity?

No idea what you mean with your second sentence. Head coach is literally his job:

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/club/club/whos-who

In any Premier League game you have 20+ cameras covering the game, all the major newspapers and a multitide of online coverage, GPS tracking of each player and each action. They can work with that. If they are seriously sitting around in their offices being completely unaware of what the team needs unless someone comes knocking at their door, they need to get sacked.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Indeed. And some on here sound like spiteful cry-babies. Someone (can't be bothered to read who) thinks that because he has the most expensive squad we have ever had we are entitled to expect more. Some of these comments beggar belief.

Quite. Opinions on our spending saying we should be up there are best ignored…. I doubt we have spent more than the 7 teams above us and many below us.
It’s frustrating but over the top criticism generally imho.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
So why do you have a 100 man team in charge of identifying areas of improvement and identifying what those improvements would be if it is all down to the coach? Do these 100 people dont have any responsiblity?

No idea what you mean with your second sentence. Head coach is literally his job:

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/club/club/whos-who

In any Premier League game you have 20+ cameras covering the game, all the major newspapers and a multitide of online coverage, GPS tracking of each player and each action. They can work with that. If they are seriously sitting around in their offices being completely unaware of what the team needs unless someone comes knocking at their door, they need to get sacked.

Is your argument that Potter has no say in transfers / scouting etc. ?

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Because he was full of confidence and doing well?

We also have 9 games in 37 days with the next being Wednesday. It’s not like Locadia is going to start against West Ham is it?

To be honest I never thought the DJ would ever kick a ball again for us. I'm taking his inclusion as a message from Potts for the need for the chairman to dish the dosh in January.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here