Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Firm remake (Sorry if fixtures)

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Had some father/son time the other night and watched a film with my 15 year old he had been raving about, The Firm, I'm no Barry Norman but I thought it was pile of shit and an insult to the original.

Looking on wikipedia I see its box office take was under a million quid, so the general public made it a turkey as well.

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
I've got both the remake and the original on DVD. Hadn't heard huge amounts about it until the remake came out, but I prefer the original. The remake is quality, but the general approach of the original is class IMO. Although the postbox tracksuit in the new version is incredible....

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I started watching it at least twice on Sky, but haven't seen the ending yet. Not great.

On the remakes thing, if you can bring something new/better, or say give it to a bigger audience in another language while staying true to the original, I can see the point - it's just that that doesn't happen very often. Classics should also be avoided. I mean, The Omen. Leave it alone, FFS.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Having said that Tooting did you find Oceans 11 with Pitt and Clooney was far better than the Rat Pack original?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I watched it on anytime and thought it was pretty crap.

The only thing that impressed me was you wouldn't have known it wasn't filmed in the early 80's.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I started watching it at least twice on Sky, but haven't seen the ending yet. Not great.

On the remakes thing, if you can bring something new/better, or say give it to a bigger audience in another language while staying true to the original, I can see the point - it's just that that doesn't happen very often. Classics should also be avoided. I mean, The Omen. Leave it alone, FFS.

Ok, another language - I'll give you that, but that is a little different.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Having said that Tooting did you find Oceans 11 with Pitt and Clooney was far better than the Rat Pack original?

Probably better, but also different, and more relevant for a different generation.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
the difference was this one was just a humourless fashion parade and a young lads who missed the 80s fantasy with silly made up slang.

the original was funny as f*** (often inadvertantly) featuring great british actors such as benny from grange hill, phil mitchell, mickey pearce and the landlord from men behaving badly. a work of genius.

we're going to europe to do the europeans. nothing in the new one comes anything close to that dialogue wise.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Was 'you dry lunch' a london thing?or made up for the film? i cant remember hearing that phrase down here.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've not seen the original, but I saw this one at the cinema. Not overly fond of it.

As to remakes, in general I don't have a problem with them, they can give a familiar story a new twist, bring to light forgotten or overlooked gems, bring a film to a new audience (weather a different generation, language, age group, etc).

I do, however, have a problem with bad remakes.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Gary Oldman is outstanding in the original as "Becks". Why would anyone think they could play this character any better is beyond me? The remake is a Nick Love film and he doesn't make a film without Danny "pawpa nawty" Dyer even he didn't sign up for this steaming pile of dog turd. He thought hanging out with aliens on BBC3 was a better idea.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Personally I thought Tom Cruise was rather wooden, but Gene Hackman and Ed Harris at least livened it up a bit.

:p

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Shocking Football Fan film. Very poor ending...could see it happening a mile off.
Top points for the clothing waldrobe though!

Was one scene filmed on Littlehampton seafront??

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This is quite a good film so far, didn't realise how bad my hair was then :facepalm:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not bad at all, pretty certain the final scene with the stabbing was filmed at the old Kings Cross Thameslink station now closed although you can access out of it onto the street from the Victoria line.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here