The famous "Crystal Palace" academy that they always boast about

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Just how good is it? Can we have a run-down of the great talent it's produced please over the last 2 decades? Jonathan Pearce was going mental about this last night but where are Victor Moses and Bostock now? They've hardly set the Premiership alight.

There's no doubting the skill of Clyne and Zaha but it could be argued they are just playing at their natural level (like Hammond or Joel Lynch or Harding or El-Abd) and anyway if Palace name-drop those two we can say Forster-Caskey and Dunk who are equally as exciting and attracting the big name interest. And how many ex-Palace academy players in the last 20 years have ever been England regulars? We've had Gareth Barry.

I'm not so sure that Palace's youth academy is as good as they think it is and not half as good as West Ham, Middlesborough, Southampton...

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Not sure about the past but their reserve team almost won at Blackpool last saturday so they must have a few good ones coming through.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Moses is just beginning to really shine, but I kind of agree. They are producing Championship footballers essentially.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I dont think you can slate Palace's youth Team, even if they are only developing Championship players, thats there level and if they can come through and play in the first team, it saves them buying players, so pretty much the point of it.

if as a club we were bringing through players who constantly come through and ended up leaving us i would get rather annoyed, Southampton for example.

JFC really cant be considered a Brighton Youth team product, he moved hear when his step dad did, so was chance that we ended up with him coming through the ranks here. The Best thing Wilkins may have done for the club!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Once we get our academy set up maybe we'll be hearing about 'The Famous Brighton Academy'.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I dont think we are slating it. Not by a long chalk and its good that they can produce players than can just about stay up in the championship.

BUT I think all this wanking over their academy is a bit silly, when actually its been about the same as everyone else.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
I dont think we are slating it. Not by a long chalk and its good that they can produce players than can just about stay up in the championship.

BUT I think all this wanking over their academy is a bit silly, when actually its been about the same as everyone else.

This is my point.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004

Yes

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I saw "famous Crystal Palace" in the title and thought this thread was gonna be about that "famous Crystal Palace" song where they go to Rome to meet the Pope. I used to like singing that one.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Once we get our academy set up maybe we'll be hearing about 'The Famous Brighton Academy'.
Hopefully you will . Our academys success didnt happen overnight , it has took years to build and only now are we getting the rewards . Imo theres nothing better than a homegrown player putting on your shirt and shining .

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
Ben Watson and Clinton Morrison, Wayne Routledge, Tom Soares and Lewis Grabban all doing well, all products of their Academy.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hopefully you will . Our academys success didnt happen overnight , it has took years to build and only now are we getting the rewards . Imo theres nothing better than a homegrown player putting on your shirt and shining .

Yep, gives you quick cash when times are hard too :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports