Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The Exhoribitant Price Of My Curry.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes for sure I get that. My grumble is based on a takeaway ripping it out, when you can go into a restaurant and eat better food cheaper. PJs just taking the piss.

Its a real dilemma for eateries and pricing. They have to make price increases, but if they go too far they will price themselves out for many people. Thus potentially causing a downwards spiral.

It doesn’t help with there being over saturation of restaurants.
There’s not much difference in their Baseline cost though surely except less staff serving. The raw ingredients , premises, staff, electric , gas still the same

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
was that 3 or 2 course last week?
2 + a mini selection of breads starter.

All portions were tiny. This point is being picked up online quite a bit, whereas they had had universal praise for many years.

To reiterate, we had been big fans, all the way back to their beginning in the late 90's. We're prepared to pay well for quality and a feeling of contentment.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Rubys have got a bit silly over the last five years or so. But To be fair I’ve always worked in beer and curry currencies…..
ie a pint of a decent cask is half the price of a takeaway Ruby.
That’s still about right.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I know there is a snob contingent on here that could never see themselves in a Spoons.
Of course it's not the best curry in town, but in these current times, for me, it's more about value for money.

Spoons on a Thursday night is curry night ...
Pint and a curry for two [upgraded to garlic naan] and still change from £20 !!
What's not to like?
It'll be far from the worse curry in town, great value and not dissimilar to chicken in a sauce experience that many of our fellow posters are experiencing!

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Very few punters of the major pizza chains will be walking off the street paying the supposed full price.

Just opening the PJ's app now and clicking on the "Offers" tab, and they have all of the below, as well as various bundles...

- Any large pizza for £9.99
- 50% off pizzas
- Any XXL pizza for £11.99
- Any medium pizza for £7.99
- 3 XXL pizzas for £37

If I wanted 3 XXL pizzas I'd insist on them pricing them separately to save a £1.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It'll be far from the worse curry in town, great value and not dissimilar to chicken in a sauce experience that many of our fellow posters are experiencing!
I’m interested as to where you would get a worse curry,

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
I know there is a snob contingent on here that could never see themselves in a Spoons.
Of course it's not the best curry in town, but in these current times, for me, it's more about value for money.

Spoons on a Thursday night is curry night ...
Pint and a curry for two [upgraded to garlic naan] and still change from £20 !!
What's not to like?
I was only in the William Withering last week having the curry deal with a pint of San Miguel for under a tenner.
Great value for money.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
last night i was going to grab a pizza. went into Papa Johns. They now only do a 10 slice pizza, prices ranging from £20 to £23 !!

no way was i paying that so walked 50 yards, picked up a gourmet pizza from Waitrose for under £6.

it’s not as if i’m sitting in a restaurant causing service, table clearing, plates, cutlery etc. PJs is a frigging takeaway.
Blimey, just imagine how much a 12 slice pizza would have been! Should've maybe gone for an 8 slice to save a few quid.

This directly relates to the other thread on "things mum and dad used to say": my dad would always say he ordered pizza and the waitress asked if he'd like it cut into 8 or 12 slices and he'd reply "8 please - I don't think I could manage 12"

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
We have a PJ's round the corner which is an emergency go to (it's shit pizza but I can pick it up in 15 mins). You can order online or off the app outside the store. Never paid more than £20 for a family of four :shrug:

As for the OP you need to move oop north. Curry for two hungry blokes in York on Tuesday was £25 each - Chicken Chilli Masala, Paneer Jalfreezi, garlic naan, dhaal, mushroom rice and two beers each :drool:
York's the London of the North price-wise.
Where was that out of interest? I've never had a decent curry recommendation for York.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
York's the London of the North price-wise.
Where was that out of interest? I've never had a decent curry recommendation for York.
Indian Lounge in Swinegate. Absolutely excellent, can very much recommend.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Indian Lounge in Swinegate. Absolutely excellent, can very much recommend.
Thanks.
As an aside, I do find Google reviews amusing sometimes.
20221022_204117.jpg

Apparently more people thought the fact they visited at "night" or used a "card machine" was worth mentioning than thought to discuss the food.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I do wonder what planet people are coming from not to understand why eating out is so expensive currently. Wake up. Smell the coffee. That’s nearly £4 too! Try turning on the news. ???:spam:

Jimmy Grimble

Deliveries or collections only, Balti Express. They cover the full array of Indian dishes.

We’re eating one right now! £30 for the 4 of us, sometimes far less.

https://www.baltiexpressbrighton.co.uk/

We’ve been using the for 10+ years.
Balti express are brilliant, but even they’ve had to succumb to inflation recently. Sounds silly given their name, but their Balti is the best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here