Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The 'Especially for Billy the Fish' 2nd Test Eng v India at Lords thread

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Test cricket showing other sports just why it the king of all sports, the Windies yesterday and India today both very exciting wins.

It didn’t go the way I wanted but it was a good test match with all 3 results possible on day 5.

Did anyone seriously think at any stage that England were going to win this match?

Right now it's Root vs the world. Our second highest scorer? Extras. Again!

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
At 8 down, they were heading toward defeat. Bumrah and Shami trying to save the game, but despite batting with that pressure on their shoulders, we decide to give them a load of verbals, they forget about the pressure on them and get fired up, and England's tactics turn into schoolboy stuff at best. How many times do we try to bounce out tails and fail? Pathetic. Absolutely no need to get into Shami's and Bumrah's faces, game turned on it. They then took all that fire into their bowling.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
At 8 down, they were heading toward defeat. Bumrah and Shami trying to save the game, but despite batting with that pressure on their shoulders, we decide to give them a load of verbals, they forget about the pressure on them and get fired up, and England's tactics turn into schoolboy stuff at best. How many times do we try to bounce out tails and fail? Pathetic. Absolutely no need to get into Shami's and Bumrah's faces, game turned on it. They then took all that fire into their bowling.

We might have won that with Broad's nous, but Father Time is catching up with him and Jimmy.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Yep, utterly brainless cricket. That really got India fired up. That's why I don't mind Kohli's antics, he just gives as good as he gets. It all led to a cracking game of cricket though ... however, the jig looked up as soon as Root was out. I can't remember an England side being so dependent on one player coming good with the bat. Gooch was dominant in the 80s/90s ... but even then, we had Gower, Gatting, Lamb and Botham around. Get Root out and this team collapses.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Yep, utterly brainless cricket. That really got India fired up. That's why I don't mind Kohli's antics, he just gives as good as he gets. It all led to a cracking game of cricket though ... however, the jig looked up as soon as Root was out. I can't remember an England side being so dependent on one player coming good with the bat. Gooch was dominant in the 80s/90s ... but even then, we had Gower, Gatting, Lamb and Botham around. Get Root out and this team collapses.

Root the captain is unconvincing, but quite simply who else has a nailed time place to do it? I don't know if he just wants to still be one of the lads, doesn't impose himself, imposes himself too much - whatever it is, where his batting is exemplary his captaincy is wanting. Kohli's personality infects his team, it's clear who is in charge, and his passion which he is a complete tit half the time is clear to see. We could get seriously battered for the rest of this series, and we don't even want to contemplate the winter...

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Torrid performance, opening batsmen were horrific and have been for a long time now.

It's not just the openers.

3,5,6,7 & 8 all let us down in at least one innings in this match.

Brilliant at 20-20 and 50 overs but third rate at first class cricket.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Anderson trying to pretend he is Harold Larwood is never going to work.

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
Chris Silverwood the worst England coach ever needs to be sacked and Sibley and Burns never allowed near this team again

Total and utter shit. Poor Joe Root having to captain the worst batting line up that I can remember

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Chris Silverwood the worst England coach ever needs to be sacked and Sibley and Burns never allowed near this team again

Total and utter shit. Poor Joe Root having to captain the worst batting line up that I can remember

But, as was discussed a page or so back, the system is broken if Sibley in particular is part of our 1st choice opening partnership. Irrespective of his poor performance, he is so 1 sided that any decent team will be able to stop him scoring completely.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We’ve been shocking this summer. Rain preventing other test defeats. There was a time when home advantage for England was everything. No more, everyone has our number, our batting is shocking.

Australia will win at least 4 tests, I expect several embarrassingly low England innings totals. Going to dust off my Betfair account and have a look for some value.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's absolutely pathetic, the ECB should be up in court for their lack of duty to the test side. Chris Silverwood is the cricketing equivalent of Steve Wigley, got his legs out at every opportunity but useless as a coach or manager. Heads should roll, but we know they won't.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The only way anything will change is if (when) we get thrashed down under this winter. English cricket does nothing until we lose an Ashes series, then we shit the bed and burn the place down.

In terms of the playing staff, I think Burns has shown enough to warrant sticking with (he scored a hundred two tests ago) and Hameed is in form, but Sibley and Crawley are nowhere near good enough. Further down, Sam Curran provides nothing of any value whatsoever to the team IMHO and the bowling is hugely reliant on Anderson (and Broad). Outside this team, however the other options don’t inspire confidence. James Vince has had so many chances, Olly Pope is overrated and it’s hard to see where the others come from. And God knows what Jack Leach has done to not get picked, run over Joe Root’s dog or something.

For me, this would be my team at Headingley;

Burns
Hameed
Malan
Root*
Bairstow
Butler+
Moeen
Robinson
Wood
Leach / Carse (depending on conditions)
Anderson

Malan for me looks a capable international batsman (and can’t do any worse than Sibley), Carse to me looks a talent (and adds a bit more batting than Mahmood who’s the other option).

Ultimately Silverwood isn’t up to it (Essex won because of Harmer, not him) but realistically he’s not leaving until after the Ashes. If Stokes comes back to test cricket I wouldn’t rule out making him captain and letting Root focus on his batting.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Malan for me looks a capable international batsman (and can’t do any worse than Sibley)

Malan's test average is lower than Sibley's and Crawley's. He also scarcely plays red ball cricket - just one innings this season

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
This will get worse before it gets better.
The ECB junior coaching badges focus on teaching batting technique focused totally at limited over formats, it’s all about solid base and power. To a point I get it, it’s about keeping kids interested etc. However at the lower badge levels (L2 and below which is most amateur clubs) we are actually instructed NOT to even start to coach defensive technique until U12s, ridiculous IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here