Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The 'Especially for Billy the Fish' 2nd Test Eng v India at Lords thread

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The T20 may pay the bills but it's doubtful whether The Hundred will. It cost £40m to stage the event and we've not seen any figures as to whether it's made any profit or not. Last year, the ECB was expecting to make about £11m on it but I'd be very surprised if it were anywhere near that - lot of tickets were given away. And I don't think that takes into account the bribe, er contribution, that The Hundred is making to the non-participating counties.

TBF, the ECB is happy with the losses if it encourages more kids to play and watch cricket. I think the jury's out on that. But if they want more kids to play it, it was bonkers to start the competition just as schools were closing for summer and the clubs' junior leagues are wound up.

ECB/Piss Up/Brewery...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Honestly I (like all of you) have seen some terrible, terrible days of English cricket. However this one is unusual in being not hilarious. It's not even been inept in conditions where the team are out of their depth (other than Dom Sibley, obviously), they've been almost wilfully bad. It's the worst day I've seen since that day at Adelaide in 2006.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Honestly I (like all of you) have seen some terrible, terrible days of English cricket. However this one is unusual in being not hilarious. It's not even been inept in conditions where the team are out of their depth (other than Dom Sibley, obviously), they've been almost wilfully bad. It's the worst day I've seen since that day at Adelaide in 2006.
Nothing will come close to that. England declared at 591-6 or something (Collingwood 200, Piterson 150 or something) and managed to lose the game. It was pathetic.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Start the car, this might be over quickly

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Nothing will come close to that. England declared at 591-6 or something (Collingwood 200, Piterson 150 or something) and managed to lose the game. It was pathetic.

Yep, that day is a league apart. But this is at least giving off a slight whiff of it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yep, that day is a league apart. But this is at least giving off a slight whiff of it.

What about Abu Dhabi in 2012 when England wanted 140 odd to beat Pakistan in over a day and were out for about 70?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
If not the worse day in England's Test cricket history, it was certainly the worse couple of hours I can remember in a long time with bat and ball. The hour bowling at Shami and Bumrah followed by the next hour or so batting was simply horrific in cricket terms. A proverbial self destruction.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What about Abu Dhabi in 2012 when England wanted 140 odd to beat Pakistan in over a day and were out for about 70?

With hindsight I think that belongs in the hilarious category (although at the time they are never so)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Kohli drops Buttler at slip, looks like he was already celebrating before it burst through his hands. Costly?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
TBH the way this is going I would think the thing which may eventually come back to haunt India are not the dropped catch or the overs wasted after lunch but the desperation to come off for light yesterday (and subsequent reading)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The irony is not lost on me that whilst we are in the midst of The Hundred tournament, two of England's finest white ball cricketers (Buttler and Moeen) are at the home of cricket, desperately blocking for their lives.

Welcome to the test version of The Hundred - the England tail has to block 100 balls without losing their final 3 wickets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here