Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The 'Especially for Billy the Fish' 2nd Test Eng v India at Lords thread

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think the biggest mistake was sending our top 3 for an inspirational ted talk in resilience under pressure from the Afghanistan Defence force

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Well done ECB, you have set us up for this ever since you decided County Cricket should be played in April and September and that a format no-one except the Media wanted got put in its place..

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well done ECB, you have set us up for this ever since you decided County Cricket should be played in April and September and that a format no-one except the Media wanted got put in its place..

So Sibley is shit because you don't like The Hundred? Er, righto. :rolleyes:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Possibly the point they are making is the disregard for county cricket (4 day) means we have such a dearth of suitable county openers (England qualified) that Dom Sibley is even an option.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Possibly the point they are making is the disregard for county cricket (4 day) means we have such a dearth of suitable county openers (England qualified) that Dom Sibley is even an option.

They should certainly make changes to the 4 day format - I'd suggest fewer games separate by an extra "backup" day - but T20 and The Hundred are the formats that pay the bills. Regardless, I just don't believe Sibley is the best we can do.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
JB heads his first ball to the boundary.

Seemed a bit slow reacting... is that an extra jumper, or is he carrying a bit of timber ??

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hameed :facepalm:

(a little unlucky - bail trimmer - umpires call - and Gough doesn't get much wrong)

Pretty high that - definitely unlucky to be given out. I know the technology (just) backs up the decision, but in honesty there HAS to have been guesswork involved. There's not a chance any umpire could be sure that wasn't going over.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

No, not individual players obviously but the whole way the First Class game is now set up players like him prosper but cant play the proper version.

Or maybe we should all agree to just play T20?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No, not individual players obviously but the whole way the First Class game is now set up players like him prosper but cant play the proper version.

Or maybe we should all agree to just play T20?
I was being facetious, I'll admit.

But really, there HAS to be a place for the limited over stuff - it's what pays the bills. The problem is indeed the way the whole game is set up - there appears to be no coherent strategy that accommodates both the long form and limited over stuff. To be fair though, people moaned about T20 when that first made an appearance nearly 20 years ago for this reason, yet plenty of quality test opening batsmen have come through across the globe, including England. Here's a list of Alistair Cook's opening partners:
https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/11/all-...artners-over-his-england-test-career-7933103/

Not much rubbish there, and nothing remotely as rubbish as Sibley.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just need the Indian quicks to sling another 50 balls down leg side for 4 byes, and we'll be home.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Review... last ball before tea... and JB is a goner. :nono:

Gough got that one wrong - first successful review of the match.

Tea on the final day

England 67-4

A minimum of 36 overs remaining.... could be a few more.

England facing a nasty spell after tea... and Root continues to carry the team.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was being facetious, I'll admit.

But really, there HAS to be a place for the limited over stuff - it's what pays the bills.

The T20 may pay the bills but it's doubtful whether The Hundred will. It cost £40m to stage the event and we've not seen any figures as to whether it's made any profit or not. Last year, the ECB was expecting to make about £11m on it but I'd be very surprised if it were anywhere near that - lot of tickets were given away. And I don't think that takes into account the bribe, er contribution, that The Hundred is making to the non-participating counties.

TBF, the ECB is happy with the losses if it encourages more kids to play and watch cricket. I think the jury's out on that. But if they want more kids to play it, it was bonkers to start the competition just as schools were closing for summer and the clubs' junior leagues are wound up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here