Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The ESL may be gone for now but other changes are bad for the other 14

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
I also like evening games. Floodlights create a different atmosphere. The amex with a bit of mist and a full moon is magical.

I do tend to drink more before late kick offs so maybe its just beer goggles.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That seems to me to epitomise the true plastic.
“Not a fan of the Saturday 3’clock kick off as it takes away your whole Saturday...”
Give me strength.

What a dumb comment. This idea that 3pm is somehow sacrosanct is bizarre. I've been going for nearly 45 years and much prefer the atmosphere at evening games. On a Saturday I'd take a 5:30 kick off over 3pm any day of the week. Allows a nice steady lunch, normally in Lewes, followed by one or two more in Brighton. Where the late kick offs are a pain are when it's away and necessitates the expense of overnight stay.

There are things more important to retain than a 3pm kick off!

Edit: I see you've explained yourself re nostalgia which is fair enough. However, I much prefer today's matchday experience (excluding covid of course). When I first went to away games the experience was pretty much always what todays Palace away games are like. Herded like cattle from station to ground and back again. Now we can turn up and mingle even whilst wearing our colours. Have a few beers etc.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Allows a nice steady lunch, normally in Lewes, followed by one or two more in Brighton.

Thus avoiding having to queue up for a manky, over-priced burger at the Amex. I like your thinking.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Having a Premier League 1 & 2 is a good idea. Not for us at the moment, but for all the aspiring Championship clubs, AS LONG as the Premier League money is shared amongst them.

Also I have no issue with the extra European matches - as the extra fixtures will be a burden for those involved, opening up an advantage to those who aren't competing and will play fewer games in the season? I would suggest the FA makes the season a week or two longer though.

Strange, I thought we already had a league for clubs aspiring to the Premier League, I think it's called The Championship!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Can anyone explain why they decided to have 36 teams in one league with each team playing 10 other opponents?

So pure fluke on which 10 you play?

Or did I miss something?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Even though the ESL has been headed off for now, football authorities have moved further down the slippery slope to European football taking precedence over domestic football.

The new, agreed, Champions league format means that 4 additional clubs will be in the Champions League and all clubs will play at least 4 more games than they currently do. I haven't quite figured it out but think that some will play even more extra games than that. Two of the extra spots will go to teams that didn't qualify but meet the ESL's criteria of ' we used to be good and we need the money so we deserve to play every year '.

The extra games will put even more pressure on scheduling the Premier League games and will mean that us other 14 will have more crappy kickoff days and times. 3.00 on a Saturday will become an even rarer treat.

Apparently the Europa League is also going to make similar changes to their format, piling it on a bit more.

As discussed on another thread, Moyes and others are now talking about splitting the Prem into two divisions which just basically means that there will be less teams in the Prem, probably 18. If this gains any traction then we now have even less games.

A poll on NSC showed that about 60% of us have almost no interest in the Champions League. I would imagine that the same 60% have no interest in any European football. Of course that would change if the Albion were to get there because then we would have a reason to be interested but surely domestic football is where our biggest interest lies.

The other 14 clubs will be split on all of this ( Moyes clearly already is ). I just hope that the possibility of a regulator and fan representation will allow all clubs in the Prem and EFL to have their say and be listened to.

Which is why there's an ever growing Non-league movement, games at 3 p.m. every Saturday, at home, 1st's or Ressies, a pint in hand watching people you know.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Champions league is shite. You don't have to be champions of your own domestic league to qualify, so it's a pointless competition.
Revert back to how it has to be, European cup. Winners from all domestic top league qualify plus the previous winners. If the previous winners is top in domestic league give place to FA cup winners.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
John Barnes hits the nail on the head.

and not just a salary cap - but a minimum wage as well (with the big clubs subsidising the wage bill of smaller clubs). Also the whole academy system and the production line approach for developing young players needs to be scrapped.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
John Barnes hits the nail on the head.

and not just a salary cap - but a minimum wage as well (with the big clubs subsidising the wage bill of smaller clubs). Also the whole academy system and the production line approach for developing young players needs to be scrapped.

He's right. It all comes down to wages. It's the main reasons clubs make such huge losses. If EPL wages were half what they are now the average player would still be earning £1m a year with endorsements.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can anyone explain why they decided to have 36 teams in one league with each team playing 10 other opponents?

So pure fluke on which 10 you play?

Or did I miss something?

No you didn't miss anything.

I guess they are basing it on that successful Europa league format of a few years ago where you played team B at home, team C away, team D, er, home and away, and team E at a neutral stadium. Something like that...

It's a bit wanky. Not the theft of the whole of football that the ESL was, though.

And it has already been discussed to death.

Not sure why we should be bothered, because it isn't as if we are going to be in it. Ever. Is it? ???

:lolol: :thumbsup:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Having a Premier League 1 & 2 is a good idea. Not for us at the moment, but for all the aspiring Championship clubs, AS LONG as the Premier League money is shared amongst them.

Also I have no issue with the extra European matches - as the extra fixtures will be a burden for those involved, opening up an advantage to those who aren't competing and will play fewer games in the season? I would suggest the FA makes the season a week or two longer though.

the money will be shared but dividing into 2 divisions will mean most of the money would go to the pl1 league....it really would be bad for teams like us and others who aspire to sit at the top table...

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
No you didn't miss anything.

I guess they are basing it on that successful Europa league format of a few years ago where you played team B at home, team C away, team D, er, home and away, and team E at a neutral stadium. Something like that...

It's a bit wanky. Not the theft of the whole of football that the ESL was, though.

And it has already been discussed to death.

Not sure why we should be bothered, because it isn't as if we are going to be in it. Ever. Is it? ???

:lolol: :thumbsup:

Yea of little faith!
When it's expanded to 84 teams we might be included?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here