Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The EPL managerial sack race.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My complete list:

1. Steve Cooper
2. Marco Silva
3. Scott Parker
4. Brendan Rogers
5. Jesse Marsch
6. Frank Lampard
7. Bruno Lage
8. Eddie Howe
9. Thomas Tuchel
10. Mikel Arteta
11. Steven Gerrard
12. Ralph Hassenhuttl
13. Thomas Frank
14. Patrick Vieira
15. Erik Ten Hag
16. Antonio Conte
17. Graham Potter
18. David Moyes
19. Jurgen Klopp
20. Pep Guardiola

Pretty much expect at least 4 out of the top 5 to get sacked and think it is highly unlikely any of the bottom 5 gets sacked, though you can't rule out Conte randomly ragequitting.

Any of the top 15 could be sacked if it goes badly for them. I see Rogers and Lage much safer, and Cooper way much safer than you see them, even if their seasons are iffy. Moyes is much more at risk if it goes bad. So a lot if it simply boils down to not meeting expectations, and we don't know what expectations may be.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Surprised no-one's mentioned Gerrard. Spent a shedload of money last season and only just finished above relegation zone. A dodgy start and he could be toast

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Did a funeral for the Forest Chairman, they love him and will go back down with him.

Any of the top 15 could be sacked if it goes badly for them. I see Rogers and Lage much safer, and Cooper way much safer than you see them, even if their seasons are iffy. Moyes is much more at risk if it goes bad. So a lot if it simply boils down to not meeting expectations, and we don't know what expectations may be.

What is your reasoning for believing Cooper will keep his job? 6 managers in Nottingham in just 5 years, 11 managers in Olympiakos in just 12 - despite the current bloke having it for four years (apparently winning the league helps you stay in the job). Lamouchi got sacked five games into a new season after leading them to the playoffs for the first time in ten years. CH got sacked seven games into last season. I don't think it will be any different for Cooper if they loose the first 5 or 6 games.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Surprised no-one's mentioned Gerrard. Spent a shedload of money last season and only just finished above relegation zone. A dodgy start and he could be toast

Yes please, that would amuse me more than any other sacking :thumbsup:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'll be amazed if Howe sees out the season.

His journalist beheading paymasters will already be wanting improvement and he won't be able to deliver it.

Mourinho in St. James Park by Christmas.

Eddie Howe is twice the manager that Mourinho is.

Football has moved on so much since Jose was winning everything.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What is your reasoning for believing Cooper will keep his job? 6 managers in Nottingham in just 5 years, 11 managers in Olympiakos in just 12 - despite the current bloke having it for four years (apparently winning the league helps you stay in the job). Lamouchi got sacked five games into a new season after leading them to the playoffs for the first time in ten years. CH got sacked seven games into last season. I don't think it will be any different for Cooper if they loose the first 5 or 6 games.

He's good, and the owner has given his head a wobble.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Howe.

They’ll spend big this summer, if he’s not heading for a EL place and a Mourinho status manager becomes available, the Sportswashers will seize the opportunity.

[Potter comes across as quite ethical and nice, I reckon he wouldn’t want that job. I hope.]

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Eddie Howe is twice the manager that Mourinho is.

Football has moved on so much since Jose was winning everything.

I actually agree.

But Howe won't deliver what they want. Categorically.

And Mourinho is exactly the sort of short-sighted appointment people with no football brains would make.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I actually agree.

And Mourinho is exactly the sort of short-sighted appointment people with no football brains would make.

Yup.

Unfortunately Dan Ashworth has a football brain.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Howe.

They’ll spend big this summer, if he’s not heading for a EL place and a Mourinho status manager becomes available, the Sportswashers will seize the opportunity.

[Potter comes across as quite ethical and nice, I reckon he wouldn’t want that job. I hope.]

If they want to replace Smug with a name manager, it’s not going to be GP. What could be a worry is if GP fancies it and Ashworth fights his corner

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I actually agree.

I'm no Smug Eddie lover, and l take your point, but Howe, (excuse the pun), do we know that he won't? Wherever he he has worked before, Bournemouth, and for a short time Burnley, the clubs concerned have only been able to afford a certain quality of player, and to a large extent his hands were tied.

Certainly at Bournemouth he did an amazing job in getting them into the Premier League. At Newcastle he has none on those restraints. He may well surpass everyone's expectations.

All great managers have to start somewhere, and so far it has to be said, he's doing very well indeed.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
A poor World Cup for Southgate could mean an unexpected name departs…

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm no Smug Eddie lover, and l take your point, but Howe, (excuse the pun), do we know that he won't? Wherever he he has worked before, Bournemouth, and for a short time Burnley, the clubs concerned have only been able to afford a certain quality of player, and to a large extent his hands were tied.

Certainly at Bournemouth he did an amazing job in getting them into the Premier League. At Newcastle he has none on those restraints. He may well surpass everyone's expectations.

All great managers have to start somewhere, and so far it has to be said, he's doing very well indeed.

I'm not a fan of Eddie Howe for a number of reasons - his completely cynical buy-in to AFCB's calculated flouting of FFP rules, for instance - but I'd argue that he did even better to keep PLB in the Premier League for as long as he did. Mainly by tearing up the possession-based footballing blueprint that got them there and transforming them into a counter-attacking team. He couldn't defy gravity for ever, of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here