Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Entertainers!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Move on xG haters, there's nothing for you here!

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 09.51.47.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
To be outperforming our XG is a notable improvement from the pre RDZ days. His tactical masterstroke seems to have been to tell them to aim at the white rectangle with the net attached
I can never decide if outperforming xG is a good thing as there are two differing possible takes...

Glass half-full: we've got highly-efficient clinical finishers who can score more than they would be expected to.
Glass half-empty: we've been lucky, and that run will run out sooner or later.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I can never decide if outperforming xG is a good thing as there are two differing possible takes...

Glass half-full: we've got highly-efficient clinical finishers who can score more than they would be expected to.
I guess we'll need a bigger sample size to be accurate on this. But Ferguson's hat-trick goal was the only one I can think of with an element of luck involved. The only skanky deflection we've had for ages (and I think we've conceded about 15 like it in the last couple of seasons)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The thing with your XG that I'm not entirely down with, is WHEN do they judge / evaluate the 'chance'.

Take for example the moment in the England game last night, when Eze ran on to ball in behind. At the point that pass is played to him, its no more than a half-chance -a 0.1XG perhaps. However, the player takes a ridiculously good first touch, to bring the ball down perfectly in front of him, and gets away a shot which at this point is probably about 0.5XG.

What is the published XG of this opportunity?

It seems rather inequitable, to be accusing Eze of passing up a decent chance (0.5XG) when it only became that from a much more difficult original opportunity, through his own good play. :shrug:

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017

Another thing could be that while, yes, you're currently out performing xG you're still creating an inordinate amount of chances. So even if your attackers were to suffer in front of goal, the amount of chances you're making would still mean you'd be sticking plenty in the old onion bag.

Your bigger issue is the number of chances you're giving up.

el punal

Slight amendment :

Glass half full : RDZ (maybe that should be overflowing!)

Glass half empty : Graham Potter

Me : :drink:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Slight amendment :

Glass half full : RDZ (maybe that should be overflowing!)

Glass half empty : Graham Potter

Me : :drink:
I'm not going drinking with you. You've just got a round in, with halves for RDZ and Potter, while you got yourself a full pint. I'm not having that, thank you very much.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The thing with your XG that I'm not entirely down with, is WHEN do they judge / evaluate the 'chance'.

Take for example the moment in the England game last night, when Eze ran on to ball in behind. At the point that pass is played to him, its no more than a half-chance -a 0.1XG perhaps. However, the player takes a ridiculously good first touch, to bring the ball down perfectly in front of him, and gets away a shot which at this point is probably about 0.5XG.

It seems rather inequitable, to be accusing Eze of passing up a decent chance (0.5XG) when it only became that from a much more difficult original opportunity, through his own good play. :shrug:
It's all very scientific, and it's when the shot is taken. It's not designed to be equitable, it's there as an alternative mode of assessment to a scoreline (others are very much available).

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Quite. I recall seeing reports for matches with differing xG totals. So there must be a degree of interpretation in the decision of the xG for each component that makes up the total. In which case, there will also be bias. I'm all for using a wide range of stats to assess broad form, but taking xG in isolation is unlikely to provide definitive answers to any question.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
We're obviously the golden boys right now, but lots of respect to Brentford too - doing things the right way and keeping up with the big lot just like we are.
Agree about Brentford. It's also a little frustrating, I feel we're Brentford's foil at the moment, if it wasn't for us, they would have been picked apart by the vultures instead it was us. Whilst Brentford are doing well, they haven't been tested like we have.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Chelsea have apparently learned a long-lasting lesson from the Potter era, though. Which is nice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here