Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The English Danes

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I always thought Harold and his lads were fighting Norwegians at the Battle of Stanford Bridge 3 weeks before the Normans arrived down South.
His army was much depleted from this battle and also deserters as it marched south to Sussex to greet the Normans who I always thought were from Normandy aka French.

Anyways, aren't we all descendants of Adam & Eve? What nationality were they?

Those Normans were 'North Men', Vikings that settled in that part of France.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Sneaky, typical viking trick attacking on two fronts. We need to watch out for that today.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I always thought Harold and his lads were fighting Norwegians at the Battle of Stanford Bridge 3 weeks before the Normans arrived down South.
His army was much depleted from this battle and also deserters as it marched south to Sussex to greet the Normans who I always thought were from Normandy aka French.

Anyways, aren't we all descendants of Adam & Eve? What nationality were they?

Argentinian and German ? :lolol:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
According to my Ancestry report from 23andme I'm 03.% Scandinavian and 72.5% British & Irish.

So I guess I'm not Danish

I am if I remember correctly 45% Western European, 26% Scandinavian, and only 10% British and a smattering of southern europe and a dash of southern asia, oh and 1% Croydon (Neanderthal)

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021

Correct, and intermarried with local people over two or three hundred years and so they were no-longer "Viking". Don't forget that they spoke French...

May 5, 2020
Sussex
The Norseman (Normans) were Vikings really so 1066 was their big victory. Their influence over the whole of Western Europe was huge.

Having visited Iceland, Denmark & Sweden, we do have so much in common with our Nordic neighbours.

Yes,it really is fascinating all the different Nordic people that fought over this land during the Viking Vs Saxon era that eventually led to the beginning of England as we know it.
Then all in 1066,the Saxons defeat the Vikings at Stamford bridge but then get defeated by the descendants of Vikings from France who have learnt new tactics,got themselves the best armour and a new political intelligence.
Vikings and Saxon era is over and the Normans began a new era for england which due to their new found Christian fanatasism led to the crusades.
Normans became crusader knights and
During the crusades we picked up a nice new flag of a red cross on a white background,the legend of stgeorge was born and then here we are today all watching a game of football with England flags everywhere and playing against a nation whose ancestors who played a huge part in the creation of England.
It really is a fantastic story.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Tom Holland’s book about Athelstan is an excellent review of this period.

I love his books anyway, but this is only a short one and excellent.

Yes,I keep meaning to buy that.
Penguin books do a "penguin monarch"series of which Tom Holland's athelstan is the first.
Thanks for reminding me I will probably get that this week as it's only 5 pounds on Amazon at the moment.
Then I will get stuck into the rest in the series.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here