Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Energy crisis

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
[tweet]1552544599578640385[/tweet]

Why are the media scaremongering the population with worries of bills of £500 a month this morning rather than questioning these type of profiteering

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Why are the media scaremongering the population with worries of bills of £500 a month this morning rather than questioning these type of profiteering

To be fair the Indy has become nothing more than clickbait nonsense. What is alarming is why on earth aren't the media at large trying to push for a solution?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
My prediction for the winter

Record number of deaths among the elderly (apart from maybe the bad covid winter)
Record number of suicides
Waves of businesses going under.
Public buildings to slash opening hours

The above assumes an averagely cold winter.

I don't necessarily expect the government to jump in and pay bills for the whole country. The role of government is to put structures in place to mitigate the effects of global fluctuations. This government has utterly failed to do that.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
[tweet]1552544599578640385[/tweet]

liz-truss.gif

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
One of Labour's flagship policies needs to be to mass insulation of the UK buildings, both private and public. No brainer

The thinking from some that UK fracking or new oil / gas exploration will solve our current issue is for the birds.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
One of Labour's flagship policies needs to be to mass insulation of the UK buildings, both private and public. No brainer

The thinking from some that UK fracking or new oil / gas exploration will solve our current issue is for the birds.

https://www.simplyswitch.com/labour...o,the move would save households £400m a year.

Labour has announced that they will insulate two million homes within 12 months should they get into power. The ambitious policy comes just ahead of the June local elections, with Shadow Climate Change Secretary Ed Miliband claiming that the move would save households £400m a year.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The whole thing is disgusting, energy companies have bought energy at much lower rates than todays prices until at least 2026 hence massive profits.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
All this faux blaming the French for the border delays at Dover. We love them really...

Capture.PNG

Oh and things are going so well, here a £20B contract to build us another Nuc power plant

Merci beaucoup!!!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
All this faux blaming the French for the border delays at Dover. We love them really...

View attachment 150402

Oh and things are going so well, here a £20B contract to build us another Nuc power plant

Merci beaucoup!!!

I think EDF UK made a loss in 2021 didn't they?

And EDF as a whole announced a very healthy 5.3bn Euro half year loss yesterday.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think EDF UK made a loss in 2021 didn't they?

And EDF as a whole announced a very healthy 5.3bn Euro half year loss yesterday.

indeed they did, EDF got nationalised recently to bailout before going bust because of the energy crisis. the French will be paying for this in increased taxes or borrowing. not sure what the point was trying to be made.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
indeed they did, EDF got nationalised recently to bailout before going bust because of the energy crisis. the French will be paying for this in increased taxes or borrowing. not sure what the point was trying to be made.

The point trying to be made is the same point the poster makes endlessly on this, other political threads and often non political threads.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Looks like Johnson's ridiculous idea of a nuke a year is about to be buried forever

Its almost like they're trying to get a grip

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Wholesale gas prices are falling but looks like in April per unit prices will actually rise as government assistance falls away

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Always amazes me how when things go up in price they very rarely come back down.
in this case the wholesale prices went so high and the cap has stopped us seeing the full extent. if they half from the 2022 average they'll still be 2-3x the average historic prices.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
in this case the wholesale prices went so high and the cap has stopped us seeing the full extent. if they half from the 2022 average they'll still be 2-3x the average historic prices.
Yes, the issue of gas prices requires careful explanation. I'm not sure you've achieved it there but, equally, don't think that I could do any better (although I'd probably do it differently).
The post you're responding to is a widely held position: inflation is noticed (with the probable exception of house prices) whereas deflation isn't -- and there's been significant food deflation over several decades for instance -- although that's gone into sharp reversal of late.
If you're in the game of making predictions: are we now entering into a new era where low inflation (house prices excepted) no longer holds?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here