Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The end of UK deep coal mining.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Because Nucluer is cheaper,until you have to clear the mess up.
Reprocessing technology is vastly improved, and getting more efficient with every passing year.....nuclear is the only long term reliable option....live with it.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
There is such a thing as batteries to store energy. Renewables just need investment and development but most people are too thick and tight to realise. So here we are still burning things for energy like apes flinging their own shit at each other.

Batteries certainly have their place in the world but there are compelling reasons why they are not compatible with renewables, especially wind, as this article goes some way to explain. http://cleantechnica.com/2013/09/13/study-battery-energy-storage-works-for-solar-but-not-wind/

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Not trying to steer clear of anything conveniently,just stating that the house I live in at the moment doesn't have a coal fire.still I suppose the Tory work is now complete,working men and women rejoicing at the loss of other men and women's jobs in the name of progress.
Happy Christmas and good luck in the race to the bottom.

Is this really the best you can come up with? It would have been better not to post, surely.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are you a daily mail headline writer?
So the people that used energy supplied by Drax are going to get 40% knocked off the next leccy bill are they?

I'm sure you've heard of the National Grid.
Those with solar panels do get money off of their electricity bills.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Are you a daily mail headline writer?
So the people that used energy supplied by Drax are going to get 40% knocked off the next leccy bill are they?

FFS - it's simple economics ( not politics ), imported coal is cheaper than British produced coal. Consumers demand the cheapest price ( generally ). So the choices were :

1. Lower the production costs of British coal - most likely the wages
2. Import coal and close loss making mines

Personally I'd be happy to see coal mining world wide shut down - it's a polluting, dirty power source. Maybe one day it will happen.

EDIT - and no, I'm nothing to do with the Daily Mail nor do I read it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That is true but only if you limit yourself to existing battery technology. There are new battery technologies being investigated that would solve those problems (also hinted at at the end of that paper) so don't discount it yet. Look how far phone batteries have come in the last decade.

batteries would certainly help but the technologies arent there. im no expert but understand basic physics/chemistry that are bottlenecks, the technologies known dont have the energy density or dont scale up - what happens in a phone size device doesnt necessarily work if its 10x the size (think lithium ion gets very hot). phone battery improvements are as much to do with energy efficency improvments.

the obvious known tech is hydrogen, use solar and wind to convert and store hydrogen to then consume to generate power on demand. clearly im missing somthing as there's no apparent schemes for this, it is inefficent but if you cant keep the wind/solar any other way its better than nothing. but yeah, batteries and or some other type of energy storage will as much as direct energy generation tech.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Sad day because we have so much coal under this island.
I remember working at Bettshanger colliery in Deal, i had to throw away the trousers that i wore under my overalls after a few washes when i'd left the colliery because the coal dust was still seeping out and leaving my legs black.
I also worked in Doncaster for months in the middle of the miners strike in 85. The precinct i was working on was deserted most of the time and the pubs were empty most nights. I spoke to many miners and brought a few drinks for them.
Viable or not it is a sad day.
Sums it up about right .

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
Is there not some liquid tech being researched? As for phone batteries what I mean is when there is funding and a push for the technology then things can progress fast. We should not rule out wind or solar because we can't do it as well as coal today. It needs investment and research.

What are your views on nuclear and particularly future nuclear technology (e.g the video that I posted earlier)?

The developing nations are forging ahead with it.

I am a realist. My point being is that you can't dis-invent nuclear. It is growing throughout the developing nations. Perhaps, therefore, we should be looking to improve on what is currently the most efficient method of producing lots of electricity on demand with minimum C02 emissions.

You could cover the whole of Europe with wind turbines and solar - as is happening - but they are not, and never will be, capable of meeting our electricity needs for the reasons stated earlier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here