Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The End Of Shipbuilding In Portsmouth

HOFNSKIN

Feb 12, 2012
400 ships of the line after ww2, now 19.
Managed decline from Empire era.
Inevitable?
Russia now calls UK a small island situated off of the European Mainland.
This is reality.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
If you think immigration is way too much at the moment just wait until the Scots get independence, the flood down south will be overwhelming, half of them won't want to be part of little Scotland. I don't know how many of them are down here at the moment but I would think you could double it. Alan Brazil for Prime Minister?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Inevitable?
This is reality.

Certainly a contrast to when we had British army and navy forces fighting in Russia in WW1 or sending convoys to Russia during WW2.

There was a time when we could just send a gunboat to suppress some banana republic or we even sent dismantled gunboats a 1000 miles overland to defend an inland lake in Africa. Now we'd struggle to stop an uprising on the Isle of Wight.

Yet for some baffling reason (Gordon Brown's folly?) we are building two huge aircraft carriers that we cannot really afford or have enough surface ships to protect them. Plus we are equipping them with a version of the hugely expensive American F35 fighters that have a very average capability. We are no longer a global military power. In my opinion for a fraction of the carriers cost we could have a highly capable and slightly bigger surface fleet focused on defending UK territoral waters and limited other tasks.

And that's before we get onto the debate about Trident.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Yep, BAE systems, nice bunch - giving us the Astute Class Nuclear Submarines....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astute_class_submarine

We should all really feel for those poor souls who no longer work for them.

The Astute class carries Cruise Missiles that have a range of a thousand miles able to reach 98% of Earth’s surface, Spearfish torpedoes capable of sinking the largest Aircraft carriers and with the latest in stealth and radar technology means the enemy will never know it’s there. The ultimate in COWARDICE - hide under the sea and fire nukes.....pffff.

Some of you in this thread really need your heads examined. You seriously think that working for a company that creates nuclear missiles is respectable, and even worse, required.

pfffffffff.

It's like some crazy blood thirsty asylum in this thread.

You know what Hybrid, you really dont have a clue do you as these boats and ships have defended this country for years and countless people have sacrificed there lives to defend this land of ours and give people a freedom of speech which other oppressed people would love to have

,So sometime on Saturday(If you are at the game before Kick off ) or hopefully on Sunday at the eleventh hour just take a minute to realise what past generations have actually done for you and your chance of freedom of speech before you go ranting and raving on such matters

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You know what Hybrid, you really dont have a clue do you as these boats and ships have defended this country for years and countless people have sacrificed there lives to defend this land of ours and give people a freedom of speech which other oppressed people would love to have

,So sometime on Saturday(If you are at the game before Kick off ) or hopefully on Sunday at the eleventh hour just take a minute to realise what past generations have actually done for you and your chance of freedom of speech before you go ranting and raving on such matters

You are wasting your time mate. The bloke is a self obsessed prick who hasn't the brains to see anyone else's opinion or views.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Inevitable?
This is reality.

Mr Hitler though something like this and he came well and truly unstuck

very much this .............well said sir

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If you think immigration is way too much at the moment just wait until the Scots get independence, the flood down south will be overwhelming, half of them won't want to be part of little Scotland. I don't know how many of them are down here at the moment but I would think you could double it. Alan Brazil for Prime Minister?

Did you read about the research done by UCL published earlier in the week about the very positive effect of immigration in our economy? How it rubbished the idea of Health Tourism, how it put forward that highly qualified people are coming here from Europe, how it said that European immigrants are contributors to the economy (rather than drains on it) in terms of tax paid vs benefits taken? probably not.

And this is research from a top University, based on FACTS, not political spin.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Did you read about the research done by UCL published earlier in the week about the very positive effect of immigration in our economy? How it rubbished the idea of Health Tourism, how it put forward that highly qualified people are coming here from Europe, how it said that European immigrants are contributors to the economy (rather than drains on it) in terms of tax paid vs benefits taken? probably not.

And this is research from a top University, based on FACTS, not political spin.

With all due respect I don't think you have understood my post, read it again.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

This

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Inevitable?
This is reality.

I dont think you can somehow offer a Russian perspective as a real indicator of the UK's decline, if you believe there is one.

The Russians could do well to aspire to the many of our own economic, political, healthcare, judicial, education and life expectancy attributes.

Not quite ready to feel inferior to Russia just yet.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Astute class carries Cruise Missiles that have a range of a thousand miles able to reach 98% of Earth’s surface, Spearfish torpedoes capable of sinking the largest Aircraft carriers

I'd have thought the prospect of an aircraft carrier- presumably as much an instrument of war in your eyes as anything else- being sunk would please you, not annoy you.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Totally relevant , some people don't have the choice of changing careers.

What do you do for a living?, genuine question.

Well would ya look at that. A genuine, direct question that challenges his assumptions and it's the last time he's appeared on this thread. Off like Buckley after a tasty though ball though never to reappear.

You're not allowed to ask these people things you know. You just have to sit and read / listen to their drivel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here