Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The end of Rangers?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Aye.

I remember the BBC telling us a few years ago that this was the most exciting finish to a Scottish season in years. A quick glance at the table showed Rangers and Celtic at the top by the usal 35 points or so. Yawn. The only difference was that their points and goal difference were almost the same.

So what happened? They both smashed their respective noddy team opponents on the last day. Rangers beat Dunfermline 6-1, while Celtic could "only" win 4-0 away at Kilmarnock. Who saw that coming? :rolleyes:

All a bit like La Liga then

Dandyman

In London village.

Rangers might start in Scots Div One next season :-

BBC Scotland has learned of plans being put in place that would allow Rangers to move directly into Scottish Division One in the coming season.
Rangers FC plc is soon to be liquidated and Charles Green's consortium are reforming the club.
But Green's Rangers newco has not gained support to replace the old club in the Scottish Premier League.
And senior Scottish football figures are proposing that Rangers start season 2012-13 in the second tier.
There are also plans for the SPL and Scottish Football League bodies to be merged into a new organisation called 'The Scottish Professional Football League' in 12 months' time.
SFL chief executive David Longmuir confirmed: "The SFL is trying to address the question of whether we are in a position to accommodate a solution to the Rangers FC scenario.
"We are trying to achieve a solution which will be in the best interests of the SFL and the wider game."
The main points of proposal documentation viewed by BBC Scotland are:

Rangers are to be relegated with immediate effect and replaced in the SPL by Dundee
Television rights for Rangers matches in Scottish Football League Division One are to be bought by the SPL for £1m
The SPL and SFL will merge into one body at the start of season 2013-14
Play-offs between the top two divisions will be introduced in time for the coming season with one team from the top flight and three from the second tier competing for a place in the following season's SPL
There will be an increase in the parachute payments made to clubs relegated from the SPL
Changes will be made to the distribution model for clubs in the top two tiers with teams in the lower leagues earning a similar amount to the current set-up
A new pyramid system will become effective from season 2014-15 that will allow a potential place in the new league format for a team from either the Highland league or newly-created 'Lowland League'
Rangers newco's acceptance into the Scottish FA would only be approved if they accept responsibility for the football debts and fines incurred by the previous club along with their waiving of rights to a legal challenge

It is understood Rangers chief executive Green has been "briefed" by Hibernian chairman Rod Petrie on the plans to gain their approval.
All changes have to be approved by SPL and SFL clubs over the next few days. The plans require the support of eight SPL clubs and a majority of SFL clubs to be passed.
Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne commented: "Rangers Newco should apply to the SFA for admission and apply direct to the SFL in the same way that any other new club would do.
"This is and remains our clubs absolute position."
Should the proposals not gain support, it remains possible that Rangers could begin next season in Scottish Division Three, the lowest league in the senior set-up.
Division One clubs Falkirk, Raith Rovers and latterly Morton have voiced their opposition to any plans to place the Rangers newco in the second tier.
With no Rangers currently in the SPL, 'Club 12' is listed on the league's fixtures for season 2012-13 and Dunfermline, who were relegated from the top flight last season, expect to be reinstated.
Dundee, who finished second to promoted Division One champions Ross County last season, have not gone public with their view on who should take the place of Club 12.
Dunfermline chief executive Bill Hodgins said: "I can't see any justification for this decision. We certainly haven't had any dialogue with any of the governing bodies.
"I think everyone's aware that the game in Scotland needs a major shake-up and a number of the proposals look exciting and look what's required.
"We are just quite surprised at the one the that refers to Dundee taking the place of Club 12 instead of Dunfermline. We're quite bemused at that decision."
Longmuir said the SFL had held "intensive discussions" with the SPL, Scottish FA and other stakeholders "to try and address, in a positive way, the current critical issues affecting our game".
And he added: "The SFL will send a briefing document to its member clubs - a logical and positive communication which will hopefully eliminate some of the understandable doubt, threats and insecurities that are apparent within the game at the moment.
"The consultation document will fully explain the short and long-term benefits of a number of scenarios which we will be considering at a full club meeting next week."

Rangers newco: Plans for club to enter Scottish Division One

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
As for the 'irony' of a Hearts fan criticising Rangers, the real irony is that the Glasgow media have conducted a witch hunt against my club for several years. Admittedly our eccentric owner has given them plenty of ammunition. However, under their very noses they have they have ignored or been complicit in corruption, cheating, sectarianism and criminality on a grand scale, so I think I'm more than entitled to criticise Rangers. Scottish football certainly does not need A club like Rangers OldCo. For the sake of some of the more sensible Rangers fans, including one of my best mates, I hope the NewCo does get its act together and starts again at the bottom.

A witch hunt my arse - Romanov has acted like a c##t and you know it!
As for criminality Hearts are hardly angels - wasnt it a Hearts fan who ran on the pitch to assault Neil Lemmon?
Sectarianism? Nil By Mouth refers to Hearts and Hibs and their sectarian rivalry!
As for 'cheating' - you've referred to Rangers 'dual contracts' show me the evidence because nothing has been proved yet as far as I'm aware!
EBTs - HMRC haven't given their final verdict yet so unless you know something everyone else doesn't you may well be talking shite!
(You may also be correct I grant you!!)

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Nine senior Rangers players are insisting that they are free agents and can leave the club in the wake of its liquidation. The Charles Green consortium is taking an uncompromising position, well aware that the club's depleted assets would shrink further if it loses the players' transfer values. The club said that it would be filing claims for breach of contract.

A big legal battle is in prospect. Under the transfer of undertakings (protection of employment) rules, known as Tupe an employer is required to consult employees in advance of the transfer of contracts to another company. Many of the players were abroad at the time and did not receive formal notification, although one might argue that sending it was sufficient.

While employees can object to the transfer of their contracts under the Tupe regulations, the grounds are weaker if the objections are raised after the transfer of assets.

It now looks increasing likely that Rangers will not survive in the Scottish Premier League. However, the compromise solution of them playing in the first division has met objections from clubs there. Rangers may end up playing the likes of Annan Athletic in the third division after all.

If Rangers do drop to a lower division, this might strengthen the players' case as they could argue that it represented a substantial change in working conditions to the detriment of the individual concerned.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Reading Murray's call to "stop the blood letting and recriminations against his beloved Rangers".................. which kind of presupposes there has been any. But no, I've checked, Rangers have still not recieved any punishment at all although that may well happen next week. What Murray is of course saying is that Rangers Football Club are bigger than Scottish football and should be let off scot* free (pun intended)

I'm still hopeful that Division 3 looms but the SFA may force through a deal that they go to League 1 if Rangers agree not to take the players to court in return. Of course, just in case the Rangers youth team struggle in league 1 they are busy putting together a package of play-offs so that finishing on the top 3 will get them into a play-off - reminiscent of the fiddling that goes on in Argentina to keep the big clubs up reardless.

Interesting though if Rangers do try to stop players moving on, whether UEFA will react. They are reportedly very unhappy at Rangers breaking ranks and using the civil courts for arbitration. That's a massively dangerous precedent for football with its very precious and very particular rules.

"scot" is a historic form of taxation - hence the phrase"getting off scot (tax) free"

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Interesting though if Rangers do try to stop players moving on, whether UEFA will react. They are reportedly very unhappy at Rangers breaking ranks and using the civil courts for arbitration. That's a massively dangerous precedent for football with its very precious and very particular rules.
Isn't it just.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
How can anyone justify newco competing in Div One? Surely they get expelled from the SPL, as clubs refuse for teh newco to continue in the position oldco were competing in. Once that application fails, SURELY they must then start afresh as a new club as well as a newco, which would mean starting at the bottom.

If you have no right to continuation of trading position (SPL) then you can't say, "well how about just a one division penalty?" No, NEWQCO is a NEW CLUB, and must apply to start at the bottom like anyone else.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
How can anyone justify newco competing in Div One? Surely they get expelled from the SPL, as clubs refuse for teh newco to continue in the position oldco were competing in. Once that application fails, SURELY they must then start afresh as a new club as well as a newco, which would mean starting at the bottom.

If you have no right to continuation of trading position (SPL) then you can't say, "well how about just a one division penalty?" No, NEWQCO is a NEW CLUB, and must apply to start at the bottom like anyone else.

The justification if you accept it is the financial imperitive to get them back to the top as quickly as possible in order to restore revenues - The SFA are being very brave and magnanimous and all that guff in putting the integrity of football first but it is guff and it is tempered by a very practical need to make sure no-one suffers too much right down to changing the rules to almost guarantee Rangers get promoted back up next year regardless. Remember that the SFA are under close scrutiny, not to say some pressure, from UEFA to act - otherwise you get a distinct impression it would have only been a points penalty and slapped wrists

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The justification if you accept it is the financial imperitive to get them back to the top as quickly as possible in order to restore revenues - The SFA are being very brave and magnanimous and all that guff in putting the integrity of football first but it is guff and it is tempered by a very practical need to make sure no-one suffers too much right down to changing the rules to almost guarantee Rangers get promoted back up next year regardless. Remember that the SFA are under close scrutiny, not to say some pressure, from UEFA to act - otherwise you get a distinct impression it would have only been a points penalty and slapped wrists

I just don't see how it can possibly be somewhere in between. Either they maintain the trade of the old co, and the punishment is therefore demotion of one division, or you are a completely new club, and you apply to join, which you do so, at the bottom. On what basis are the a Div 1 club, as the old co, demoted, or are teams allowed to apply to join the Scottish League somewhere other than the bottom?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I just don't see how it can possibly be somewhere in between.
Of course you're right, but...
On what basis are the a Div 1 club, as the old co, demoted, or are teams allowed to apply to join the Scottish League somewhere other than the bottom?
On the basis that they bring crowds and money to Scottish football. It's a complete joke. It's no different that if a big company said they wanted to start a new team in Div1, and they'd pay for it.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's no different that if a big company said they wanted to start a new team in Div1, and they'd pay for it.

Exactly, that's the principle here that worries me. A wealthy owner who wants to take over a bankrupt club could just say "right, I have LOADS of money to invest, and I'll buy Queens Park, but I'm not carrying on with them in the Third Division. I'll spend LOADS on players, we'll half-fill Hampden Park every week, I want to take over no more than one division outside of the SPL." Would they allow that?

So, what if Rangers Newco decide THIS is the time to make an approach to the Football League? Seeing as they are not going to be in the SPL, and they wouldn't ever get admitted straight into the EPL, what if they decide now is the time to say "ok, how about we play in League One, south of the border, we'd bring MASSIVE gates, and media coverage with us. How about it?" Just how loudly does money talk, even when it's a bankrupt club talking?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's bad for the game, but at least it's only Scotland. The same wouldn't happen in England because you could take any big club away from the premiership it wouldn't make any difference.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Predictably, this whole sorry affair is going to end in a fudge that disgraces Scottish football:

BBC Sport - SFL prepares for debate on Rangers newco entry

"The 30 Scottish Football League clubs will meet on Tuesday to discuss Scottish FA proposals that would see a Rangers newco play in the First Division next season"

First Division? They should be in the third! But no, the SPL appears bent on bribing the SFL with a £1m payment "for TV coverage of Rangers' matches". This is bollocks, surely. It boils down to the fact they are worried that Sky won't be interested in covering the SPL without the Old Firm when the next TV deal is up for renewal. And if Rangers are demoted to the third division as they should be, they still won't have returned to the top table by the time that comes round.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Predictably, this whole sorry affair is going to end in a fudge that disgraces Scottish football:

BBC Sport - SFL prepares for debate on Rangers newco entry

"The 30 Scottish Football League clubs will meet on Tuesday to discuss Scottish FA proposals that would see a Rangers newco play in the First Division next season"

First Division? They should be in the third! But no, the SPL appears bent on bribing the SFL with a £1m payment "for TV coverage of Rangers' matches". This is bollocks, surely. It boils down to the fact they are worried that Sky won't be interested in covering the SPL without the Old Firm when the next TV deal is up for renewal. And if Rangers are demoted to the third division as they should be, they still won't have returned to the top table by the time that comes round.

its the same as the SPL it has to go to a vote, i can see the point, without rangers and Celtic then there is not interest in Scottish football at all, and a number of clubs will go belly up.

The SFA are in a horrible situation, its not just rangers at stake but in a sense Scottish football

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here