Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The end of Rangers?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I dont know why they just dont apply to Div 3 and be done with it, do the honourable thing and start again.
Because they're not honourable.

They will be back in the SPL in 3 years.
Scottish football will survive, just a lot of scare mongering going on.
Not just survive, it will be better for it, as this will act as a salutary lesson to the rest about over-spending. It will also give someone else a chance to be competing at the top, so that by the time Rangers get back to the SPL (3 years, please!) then maybe someone else has fluked their way into the CL Group stages and that money makes them a genuine competitor to the big two.
Are we the only people that can see this? They're saying that all clubs will suffer in Newco start in the 3rd - how the hell will teams in the 3rd division suffer in Rangers are in their division?

It'd be funny if they failed to get out of Div 1 for a few seasons. Like, almost getting there but JUST missing out. Like with Huddersfield and League One.
It would, but I can't see how that could happen. It would be practically fixed to make sure they got promoted.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Why didn't we do this to Portsmouth, Palace and all the other cheats in our league?

The major difference being, Portsmouth, Palace etc etc were still the same business (i.e football club) but operating with a CVA in place.

Rangers were liquidated.....therefore no longer exist.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
For once money hasn't talked and clubs have acted on behalf of their fans requests and sporting integrity. Interesting to see the tweets on the BBC with bitter bluenoses saying that Rangers should be in the SPL and everyone else is to blame for the problems now facing Scottish football. They seem to have forgotten that Rangers avoided paying tax and NI for 9 months for last season for which they were liquidated for and still have the 'big case' to answer where they may be deemed to have avoided paying the revenue a further £30 odd million. If only our League had the backbone to do the same to our member clubs!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Definitely. And given the financial risks to the clubs that made the decision, I take my hat off to them for doing the right thing.

Meanwhile I fart in the general direction of the SFA and SPL for allowing the vote in the first place, and again if the vote was not private.

Not just allowing teh vote but the head of the SFA or is it the SPL gave a speech yesterday where he strongly made the point that Scottish football faced financial ruin if Rangers had to kick-off in Div 3 next season. Disgraceful. I would be voting that they start in Div 3 and that fella should promptly resign. If Rangers existance was so crucial to the survival of Scottish Football then he should have ensured rules were in place to stop them ever getting themselves anywhere near this sort of mess in the first place.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The major difference being, Portsmouth, Palace etc etc were still the same business (i.e football club) but operating with a CVA in place.

Rangers were liquidated.....therefore no longer exist.

Is the correct answer!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Celtic to be crowned Champions 2012/2013, is pretty secure now. Neil Lennon will be loving this. That smug looking prick! God I hate him........

It'll actually be quite interesting to see what Celtic do, especially if Rangers are YEARS away from a return by starting again in Div 3.

They could ....

1. cash in on any players attracting interest from elsewhere, especially as the bigger players may want out from a non-competitive division, for a team that is a long way out of it's depth in Europe.

2. invest in youth. Whether it's their own youth products or buying in teh talented youngsters from around Scotland, they could very well feel that they have enough of a cushion to be able to have a whole host of players who will not hit the ground running, but they have time to bring them along over teh next couple of years, and still win the League.

It would seem a genuine possibility, and it would benefit the whole of Scottish football, in that Celtic would presumably be bringing through a load of Scottish lads, while off-loading more expensive imports. They'd probably still win, but it would bring them back to teh pack a bit.

Meanwhile, I would expect Rangers to be doing EXACTLY the same. They aren't going to be down the Leagues buying in foreign talent, surely. Depending on how next week goes they could well have lost a load of players and be faced with a transfer embargo (one of the possible conditions of gaining Div 1 status). Either way, it seems pretty likely that next season will be Rangers Youth team to a large degree.

Celtic and Rangers playing with predominantly Scottish youngsters, this could give them a great crop of players available for the national side over the next few years.

Scottish football may well look back on this summer as the best thing that has happened to the game north of the border in a long, long time.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

that for me is the best post this year bar none,superb

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It'll actually be quite interesting to see what Celtic do, especially if Rangers are YEARS away from a return by starting again in Div 3.

They could ....

1. cash in on any players attracting interest from elsewhere, especially as the bigger players may want out from a non-competitive division, for a team that is a long way out of it's depth in Europe.

2. invest in youth. Whether it's their own youth products or buying in teh talented youngsters from around Scotland, they could very well feel that they have enough of a cushion to be able to have a whole host of players who will not hit the ground running, but they have time to bring them along over teh next couple of years, and still win the League.

It would seem a genuine possibility, and it would benefit the whole of Scottish football, in that Celtic would presumably be bringing through a load of Scottish lads, while off-loading more expensive imports. They'd probably still win, but it would bring them back to teh pack a bit.

Meanwhile, I would expect Rangers to be doing EXACTLY the same. They aren't going to be down the Leagues buying in foreign talent, surely. Depending on how next week goes they could well have lost a load of players and be faced with a transfer embargo (one of the possible conditions of gaining Div 1 status). Either way, it seems pretty likely that next season will be Rangers Youth team to a large degree.

Celtic and Rangers playing with predominantly Scottish youngsters, this could give them a great crop of players available for the national side over the next few years.

Scottish football may well look back on this summer as the best thing that has happened to the game north of the border in a long, long time.

In addition, with Rangers not in the champions league, the champions league place goes to a different team for the first time in a long time, which means the champions league money will be spread around. A team that previously couldn't afford a better class of player now has the money and now has the appeal of champions league football. But often a team in europe for the first season will struggle in the league due to the european escapades, which gives yet another team a chance to get in the champions league and get the money that comes with it.

The european wealth being spread around could benefit scottish football, too.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
am I missing something here?
It might be me that is. The 3 posts above pigbites were talking about changes to youth football in Scotland, and pigbite said 'It's happening it seems...' so I thought his link would be about Scottish youth football, but it's (unless I'm mistaken) just a link saying that the SPL clubs voted no (which we all know already). I actually thought that link was already on this thread, but it seems I read it earlier after googling.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
It might be me that is. The 3 posts above pigbites were talking about changes to youth football in Scotland, and pigbite said 'It's happening it seems...' so I thought his link would be about Scottish youth football, but it's (unless I'm mistaken) just a link saying that the SPL clubs voted no (which we all know already). I actually thought that link was already on this thread, but it seems I read it earlier after googling.

Sorry for the confusion - it was just the link to the formal announcement that the new Rangers co will not be part of the SPL which, as has been pointed out, is not really unexpected news. I'd not seen the link elsewhere so popped it up without really putting much thought to the thread context.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
We would all do well to understand some things relating to Rangers and indeed Portsmouth. Both clubs, well run for decades and in both cases since Victorian times though Rangers around 10 or so years earlier.

Enter an unscrupulous 'regime' , person(s) not necessarily too interested in the football side of things, and looking for 'the quick buck' and then you begin to see the total reality.

I do not for one minute condone what has happened to these (and similar clubs), and how close did we come to oblivion, or at least conference, BUT, again remember that both have existed for more than 100 years and in that time have paid a considerable amount of tax etc. Rangers fans (75%) have, I believe I read, expressed their 'willingness' to participate at the lowest level so, on the other hand , a bit different from Pompey.

Rangers have been a huge club in the past and probably will be again. The problem they have , like Celtic, is that they are competing in a League which, by the nature of the country, is only well supported in the major areas of population which is Glasgow. In saying that, in terms of size, Glasgow is equalled by London and Birmingham and perhaps Manchester, there are no Liverpools or Newcastles to compare. Outside of Glasgow, Edinburgh has the same population (catchment wise) as Brighton. Total population in Scotland 6,000,000 ish., Dundee 145,000, Aberdeen 247,000 (for the entire county which is absolutely huge). It should not therefore be too difficult for people to understand the problems there are in Scotland where TV funding is absolutely minimal compared with down here. Hence claims of Sky pulling out are believable thus adding credence to some claims that clubs will go under 'soon'

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd not seen the link elsewhere so popped it up without really putting much thought to the thread context.
Although a little behind the thread news you are right, it hadn't been posted, I just thought it has as I read it earlier. Nobody died, let's move on.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
"Newco" Rangers need 16 votes (simple majority) from the 30 SFL member clubs to join SFL1 , 11 clubs have already said they will vote against plus there will be 1 abstention (Dundee - because they potentially replace "Oldco" Rangers). Rangers in SFL3 could also be deducted points as a follow on sanction to irregularities by "Oldco".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here