[Albion] The election up all-nighter

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sounds like they all went to Eton.

If they had, at least there would be the possibility that they may have made some money out of this last 5 years clusterf***, like Johnson, Farage, Tice, Rees-Mogg, Sunak etc. Sadly, I don't think that's the case :shootself

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Sounds like Houchen is winning the Tees Valley Mayoral election.
Labour have conceded.

It's rather weird that this must feel a bit like a let-down for Labour. But really - it wasn't likely that someone with 73% of the vote last time around was going to lose out! The Tories will be spinning it is a great result for them. But....

1714734998870.png

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Weird

They clearly haven't read Private Eye. How are the dead fish doing up there?

Private Eye campaigned for well over a decade against the Post Office Scandal, but nothing happened until a prime time tv drama was written and now after years of ignoring it, everyone is absolutely outraged :shrug:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I am surprised that more is not being made of this. Low turnout should be a cause for concern for every major political party.
That's because most don't want to confront what's patently obvious -- namely, that the electoral-representative model is suffering since its high-point in the mid-20C

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Labour have conceded.

It's rather weird that this must feel a bit like a let-down for Labour. But really - it wasn't likely that someone with 73% of the vote last time around was going to lose out! The Tories will be spinning it is a great result for them. But....

View attachment 181743
Yup. Also explains his comment that while he backs Sunak, he'll work with whoever is PM to improve the region.

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
So...

- Rishi knifed by the Tory MPs and we are treated to another wonderful "leadership" contest. "Not another one".
Or
- Rishi calls an immediate General Election
Or
- Rishi limps on until he can limp no more.

Just get it done.
The 3rd option is certain

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So as of now the Tories are on 152 councillors, having lost 182. That is a huge hit to the grass roots. What will those 182 people do now?

Probably a good proportion were doing a decent job for their communities yet now find themselves out because of this national Tory's government slow and steady implosion.

It looks as though the European question has destroyed the Conservative Party for good. I don't see where they go from here other than a decade in the wilderness while they watch on to see how Labour get on and how Brexit plays out.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
1714741014465.png

Sunak spinning again. What Starmer said was they needed to win the constituency in places like Harlow to be on track in a general election. And that's exactly right - it's right in the electoral majority area that needs to swing in a GE.

What Starmer didn't say was 'we need to win Harlow Council to be on track,,,,'

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
So as of now the Tories are on 152 councillors, having lost 182. That is a huge hit to the grass roots. What will those 182 people do now?

Probably a good proportion were doing a decent job for their communities yet now find themselves out because of this national Tory's government slow and steady implosion.

It looks as though the European question has destroyed the Conservative Party for good. I don't see where they go from here other than a decade in the wilderness while they watch on to see how Labour get on and how Brexit plays out.
Analysts were saying Labour wouldn't form another government for a decade after the 2019 election.

The state of the economy is so bad, incumbent governments will be binned off by the electorate, unless they delivery real and lasting change.
Winning the next election is one thing. Staying in power quite another.

Labour supporters revelling in the state of the Tories, sound very similar to ourselves, crowing over Palace's demise a few short months ago.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Houchen's victory in Tees Valley described by Andrea Leadsom as "a victory for Conservative government".

According to the BBC, Houchen's election material made no mention of the Conservative Party or Rishi Sunak. Read into that as you will.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
These results are filling me with optimism, however the very low turnout makes me worry, who would all those voters be voting for come the general election.
I can see the Tories turning around some better figures soon and all those stay aways believing their hype and voting for them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Private Eye campaigned for well over a decade against the Post Office Scandal, but nothing happened until a prime time tv drama was written and now after years of ignoring it, everyone is absolutely outraged :shrug:
Panorama ran a programme in 2015, where the Post Office threatened to suit them, but it still didn't outrage the public.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Analysts were saying Labour wouldn't form another government for a decade after the 2019 election.

The state of the economy is so bad, incumbent governments will be binned off by the electorate, unless they delivery real and lasting change.
Winning the next election is one thing. Staying in power quite another.

Labour supporters revelling in the state of the Tories, sound very similar to ourselves, crowing over Palace's demise a few short months ago.
You talk as if these analysts were the mainstream. I'd make the following points:

1. Using historic precedent it is clear Jeremy Corbyn and his team were very 'left' wing by recent Labour standards (i.e. Kinnock onwards).
2. It was also clear they would be ousted for a more centrist leader.
3. It is also a near certainty Labour would have to move to the centre to hope to win a General Election
4. It was clear to any Remainer that Brexit was not going to work.
5. It was clear in 2019 that Boris was a proven liar and would doubtless be hoist by his own petard.

Therefore, none of this political swing we have experienced in the last 3 years comes as much of a surprise to me.

The gamechanger is that we have Brexited. That process was instigated by Cameron having been agitated for by Farage. This is - essentially - an internecine war of the Right of British politics.

We are paying a heavy economic price for Brexit, the Tories are supposedly the party of business so I don't see how the stars are going to align for them in a post-Brexit world.

In time I can see a right of centre, pro-business, anti-Brexit, one nation party emerging from the wreckage, but it would have some brass neck to call itself the Conservative Party after the last 8 years of chaos that party has caused following the 2016 EU Referendum.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Houchen's victory in Tees Valley described by Andrea Leadsom as "a victory for Conservative government".

According to the BBC, Houchen's election material made no mention of the Conservative Party or Rishi Sunak. Read into that as you will.
Leadsom is correct, in the same way that wins over Luton, Wolves and Brentford were victories for Sheffield United this season.

But then they are clever with words, that Tory lot. It's coached into them.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
You talk as if these analysts were the mainstream. I'd make the following points:

1. Using historic precedent it is clear Jeremy Corbyn and his team were very 'left' wing by recent Labour standards (i.e. Kinnock onwards).
2. It was also clear they would be ousted for a more centrist leader.
3. It is also a near certainty Labour would have to move to the centre to hope to win a General Election
4. It was clear to any Remainer that Brexit was not going to work.
5. It was clear in 2019 that Boris was a proven liar and would doubtless be hoist by his own petard.

Therefore, none of this political swing we have experienced in the last 3 years comes as much of a surprise to me.

The gamechanger is that we have Brexited. That process was instigated by Cameron having been agitated for by Farage. This is - essentially - an internecine war of the Right of British politics.

We are paying a heavy economic price for Brexit, the Tories are supposedly the party of business so I don't see how the stars are going to align for them in a post-Brexit world.

In time I can see a right of centre, pro-business, anti-Brexit, one nation party emerging from the wreckage, but it would have some brass neck to call itself the Conservative Party after the last 8 years of chaos that party has caused following the 2016 EU Referendum.
I think you over-estimate the electorate.
They don't vote on any of the above factors and are increasingly unlikely to.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

He didn't even wear a blue rosette to the count.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Wait till the public realise what a Freeport will really bring to the area...

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
These results are filling me with optimism, however the very low turnout makes me worry, who would all those voters be voting for come the general election.
I can see the Tories turning around some better figures soon and all those stay aways believing their hype and voting for them.
My theory is that most of the hard core voters would have been out yesterday. Those who only vote in general elections will include a large number who subconsciously don't want to vote for losers. Unless there is some momentous shift over the coming months, I think we can see the way the wind is blowing.

Expect more talk of war and the threat of war and the tories will be praying that the judges in the European Court of Human Rights look to block sending asylum seekers to Rwanda. On the first point it is hard to picture a war leader whose trousers barely reach his ankles, especially one who looks prepared to leave the country at short notice and a bun fight with Europe will likely benefit Reform more than the tories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports