[Albion] The election up all-nighter

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Have the obnoxious Reform Party actually won any council seats yet?
They tend to not bother with local elections and, I think, only stood in one in seven of the contested seats. That might just be because whenever they do get councillors elected, they end up revealing their true character and, failing that, demonstrating their incompetence.
This is all part of the broader strategy: they're not interested in the 'ground war', they want to impact on the 'air war' and they do that because they've got some very very rich donors who want to distract those that are poor and/or working class from other avenues in politics

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Reform UK taking a slew of seats from Tories
Not only can I can see this having a major effect on the Tory vote in the coming GE, but also on the Labour vote in the 2029 GE, if they fail to solve the Country's ills in that term.

Just an opinion, not slagging off Labour, as they need to be given a chance, but just a large sector of the electorate.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
They tend to not bother with local elections and, I think, only stood in one in seven of the contested seats. That might just be because whenever they do get councillors elected, they end up revealing their true character and, failing that, demonstrating their incompetence.
This is all part of the broader strategy: they're not interested in the 'ground war', they want to impact on the 'air war' and they do that because they've got some very very rich donors who want to distract those that are poor and/or working class from other avenues in politics
Contesting over 300, no seats yet I think but plenty of coverage so your point is well-made!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
So...

- Rishi knifed by the Tory MPs and we are treated to another wonderful "leadership" contest. "Not another one".
Or
- Rishi calls an immediate General Election
Or
- Rishi limps on until he can limp no more.

Just get it done.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So...

- Rishi knifed by the Tory MPs and we are treated to another wonderful "leadership" contest. "Not another one".
Or
- Rishi calls an immediate General Election
Or
- Rishi limps on until he can limp no more.

Just get it done.
I think all of the the opposition parties should start calling for an election. It's a compelling argument which I am sure most of the country will support. What grounds or reasoning could the Tories use to oppose this?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think all of the the opposition parties should start calling for an election. It's a compelling argument which I am sure most of the country will support. What grounds or reasoning could the Tories use to oppose this?
They aren't compelled to and will hang on as late as possible just like 1997, they've got another 6 months of scorched earth tactics.

On another subject European elections are going to be interesting, including Germany

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Tice went to Radley, Farage went to Dulwich College, Habib went to Rugby - anybody who thinks these clowns give a flying fig about normal people deserves everything they get.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Tice went to Radley, Farage went to Dulwich College, Habib went to Rugby - anybody who thinks these clowns give a flying fig about normal people deserves everything they get.
And yet they get voted in. There are a lot of clowns in this world, not just Billy Smart :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I can't help but smile when I see the Reform supporters, having seen their Brexit dream descend into the complete and utter clusterf*** they were all warned it would be, now believing that (metaphorically) bending over and grasping their ankles in front of this mob whilst shouting 'MORE AND HARDER' will somehow resolve the problem :laugh:

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Really not sure what the Tories are waiting for. What's the point of limping on. Every month they seem to lose more voters to Reform, so just call the election now and get the pain out of the way. They will lose massively whatever they do now, so just do it, regroup, new leader and work at being a good opposition. This delay is pointless.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
I can't help but smile when I see the Reform supporters, having seen their Brexit dream descend into the complete and utter clusterf*** they were all warned it would be, now believe that (metaphorically) bending over and grasping their ankles in front of this mob whilst shouting 'MORE AND HARDER' will somehow resolve the problem :laugh:
Sounds like they all went to Eton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports