Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Dogs

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
I'm heading to the dogs tonight for a staff do, and i have absolutly no idea on how good the dogs are and just generally bet on names, which didn't work at all last time i went there.

I don't generally bet loads, and i'm not planning to tonight, but does anyone have any tips on what to look for in terms of form etc. on the cards.

Is it all just luck? or Is there some skill involved?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Always found dog racing a bit of a lottery.

there is the age old advice though: if you see a dog have a dump just before the race, put money on that .... (the dog, not the turd)

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington

there is the age old advice though: if you see a dog have a dump just before the race, put money on that .... (the dog, not the turd)

Someone told me that last time i went, what's the logic behind it?

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003

Like horse racing, the more time and effort you put in, the more you get back. In simple terms, though, greyhounds are incredibly consistent, so much so that if it were not for the bends - ie if they raced in a straight line - it wouldn't work as a betting medium as the favourite would win 99 per cent of the time. I had a share in a dog at Walthamstow many years ago, and was always amazed that when she trialled alone, you could predict her time to with a few hundredths of a second.

As a result, greyhound racing is often a little like speedway - getting to the first bend in front is a big advantage, as the ones behind will tend to get in each other's way. Everyone knows this, of course, so the dog with the fastest recent starting time - which is printed in the racecard - is always well supported and probably slightly shorter in the betting than it should be. Backing them is not the worst tactic in the world for a novice though, as you should definitely get a draw or two somewhere.

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Greyhound racing is so difficult to win on i find. Form goes out of the window in so many races through bumping but as an adrenaline rush through gambling it is probably the greatest when your dog wins.

Good luck tonight logan89!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't even look at the racecard. Just do 6 and 2 reverse forcast all night. ALWAYS comes in sooner or laters, or a couple of times, and if you're lucky it can pay big if a shit dog is in the mix.

Dogs are so RANDOM almost anything can happen. Loads of times a complete no-hoper (according to the odds and racecard notes) makes the top 2 places, so if you are studying the form, its often good to go with the favourite and an unfancied bitch with a straight or reverse.

All good fun.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
If you accept that dog racing is pretty much a fix, then your'll enjoy it a bit more.

At hove years ago my boss had a great dog, Abergavenny Lady, but he knew that with 6 dogs in a race, a trainer can have sometimes two dogs in the same race...and so can his mate..so stands to reason they know which is the better one..

I used to love the 'wise old men in the know' who used to helpfully 'let you in on a banker'...even though your'd never met them before.. funny that you never saw them again after it had lost..:D

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I always do a 1.80 trio reverse forcast ( or omthing similer name wise ) just for fun really but won £90 last time out on a works doo. all you have to do is pick 3 dogs and as long as they come in any order in the first 3 you win, Simples.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
Thanks for the advice, i'm just going as it's going to be a massive piss up and when i drinnk i tend to let my money go easier. Which when there's betting involved is probably not a good thing.

I was looking at basically putting some forecasts/reverse forecasts (thinks that means 1st and 2nd/1st and 2nd any order) not gonna put much on each race but i'll sure be screaming at which ever dogs i've put it on.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
One tip I would give you - set aside an amount you are going to use for betting at the START of the evening (ie an amount you won't be totally pissed off at losing), and STICK to it.

I'm not a serious gambler, I only chuck fairly small stakes on (a couple of quid each time), so I just take £20 for the betting. Once its gone its gone, and anything I've got left out of that £20 is a bonus. Best I've done is coming away £96 up, but I'll often break even or better. There are those nights where nothing goes right though, but hey, its only £20.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Used to live 100yds from the track in Nevill Ave .
Starting going there from the age of 10 .
If its been raining heavily back the wide runners ( w )
in the ouside traps . The ground is firmer out wide ,
the inside gets cut up and turns into a bog .

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Don't even look at the racecard. Just do 6 and 2 reverse forcast all night. ALWAYS comes in sooner or laters, or a couple of times, and if you're lucky it can pay big if a shit dog is in the mix.

So that's where I've been going wrong! I always do 6 and 1 reverse

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Also, if it were completely random, every dog would be a 5-1 chance. In fact, the percentage of winning favourites is very much what you would expect, given the normal racing variables.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
One tip I would give you - set aside an amount you are going to use for betting at the START of the evening (ie an amount you won't be totally pissed off at losing), and STICK to it.

I'm not a serious gambler, I only chuck fairly small stakes on (a couple of quid each time), so I just take £20 for the betting. Once its gone its gone, and anything I've got left out of that £20 is a bonus. Best I've done is coming away £96 up, but I'll often break even or better. There are those nights where nothing goes right though, but hey, its only £20.

Is the 100% correct answer. With the proviso that if you're well up with one race to go, reward yourself with a £20 hit and hope.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
4-6 reverse forecast in the 1st.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here