Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The Detectives, fighting organised crime.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Am I naive?

I have seen a lot of documentaries over the years about the drug trade and the people involved in it. It just seems to me that above a certain level there doesn’t appear to be a lot to gain from it. I mean the middle echelons , if you like. You make a great deal of money admittedly, but, you can’t really spend it. If you have the big house, top of the range motor, you have to be able to show how you earn your money, and if you can’t, Plod will be very interested in you.And, I have never yet seen someone involved in it who actually seems happy with their life. You must always be looking over your shoulder for either the Law or some scumbag who wants what you’ve got. It’s really not a lifestyle I’d want, at all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Am I naive?

I have seen a lot of documentaries over the years about the drug trade and the people involved in it. It just seems to me that above a certain level there doesn’t appear to be a lot to gain from it. I mean the middle echelons , if you like. You make a great deal of money admittedly, but, you can’t really spend it. If you have the big house, top of the range motor, you have to be able to show how you earn your money, and if you can’t, Plod will be very interested in you.And, I have never yet seen someone involved in it who actually seems happy with their life. You must always be looking over your shoulder for either the Law or some scumbag who wants what you’ve got. It’s really not a lifestyle I’d want, at all.

That’s something I’ve noticed too. Often when drugs ‘lords’ and gang leaders are convicted, I google their home street and it’s a dump.

I think we’re seeing people a rung or two down the ladder.

The real big fish, orchestrating the import from overseas, when they’re convicted often live in huge homes in nice areas. As well as Brits and Irish, they often seem to have Dutch partners in crime.

Regarding showing how they made the money, that only comes into the spotlight once there are serious grounds for a case or more. Many others live under the radar, protected from the prying eyes of HMRC etc by data protection and human rights legislation. Their neighbours and the police wouldn’t have a clue how they really made their money.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Each to their own. Play with fire you typically get burnt. If I pee my boss off I get sacked. In that line of work you get killed. But it’s worth the risk isn’t it, so you can get those latest trainers...:ffsparr:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Am I naive?

It's always difficult to put yourself in someone else's shoes - These people probably got involved at a very early age and it's all they've ever known. It's impossible for one to empathise with them, difficult to have much sympathy for them but, like yourself, it's not a lifestyle I would wish for....

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Am I right in thinking that one of the other suspects in the car, the big lad who appeared to be driving, was found not guilty? That's despite having evidence of him wearing exactly the same clothes at the gym a few hours before the murder and that he was at the meeting with all the other suspects when the mobile phones were split up to give the 3 in the car an alibi.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Am I right in thinking that one of the other suspects in the car, the big lad who appeared to be driving, was found not guilty? That's despite having evidence of him wearing exactly the same clothes at the gym a few hours before the murder and that he was at the meeting with all the other suspects when the mobile phones were split up to give the 3 in the car an alibi.

I got the impression they were really keen to nail that Wade fella... and they did.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I got the impression they were really keen to nail that Wade fella... and they did.

Certainly Wade was the one they wanted as he was the gunman and clearly his friendship/worship of a convicted cop killer would not sit well with officers who were likely to know the two women Cregan killed. It just seemed strange that the other chap alleged to be in the car was found not guilty (the third being on the run), especially when they got convictions of some of the other gang members who took the phones etc. The lad in the car must have had a really good barrister who could cast enough doubt on the clothes theory to sway the jury.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Government really need to look at trying to make safe / legalise / tax drugs. There's obviously a high demand and hopfully it'll stop some of the senseless violence

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

But which ones should be legalised?

Amazed at this show. I appreciate that the Police were on camera but so frustrating for these scumbags to sit there saying "No comment" to everything they are asked.

You can see their attitude in the swagger as they walk. Just hope they learn some respect in prison. Doubtful though.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Amazed at this show. I appreciate that the Police were on camera but so frustrating for these scumbags to sit there saying "No comment" to everything they are asked.

You can see their attitude in the swagger as they walk. Just hope they learn some respect in prison. Doubtful though.

As someone on here said earlier the “no comment” interviews are all part of the process in the defence lawyer understanding the evidence the police have and subsequently instructing the client how to plead/construct a defence. The words might be just “no comment” but the body language, hesitancy, facial expression, etc can give the game away.

Although bravado makes them think they look tough, most of them have dead eyes and are close to tears, claiming their undying love for their mum and kids!!

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Certainly Wade was the one they wanted as he was the gunman and clearly his friendship/worship of a convicted cop killer would not sit well with officers who were likely to know the two women Cregan killed. It just seemed strange that the other chap alleged to be in the car was found not guilty (the third being on the run), especially when they got convictions of some of the other gang members who took the phones etc. The lad in the car must have had a really good barrister who could cast enough doubt on the clothes theory to sway the jury.

Perhaps the one "on the run" became Queens evidence and has quietly been given a new ID.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

No comment

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here