Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Demise of The Ticket Stub

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I was just putting my sons ticket from Sheffield United match in his box with all his other tickets, then mine into my box when I realised I'm not doing this as much anymore. I got a wave of sadness.

I have boxes of old gig and football tickets saved from my life. They all tell a story. I love going through them with the kids and talking about the events. Gigs and matches I'd forgotten but that ticket stub reminded me of the event, score of game, gig support act etc.

All the new digital lark is progress I guess, but is it better?

Do you have a ticket collection?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was just putting my sons ticket from Sheffield United match in his box with all his other tickets, then mine into my box when I realised I'm not doing this as much anymore. I got a wave of sadness.

I have boxes of old gig and football tickets saved from my life. They all tell a story. I love going through them with the kids and talking about the events. Gigs and matches I'd forgotten but that ticket stub reminded me of the event, score of game, gig support act etc.

All the new digital lark is progress I guess, but is it better?

Do you have a ticket collection?
I do not have a collection as such, but your post has just prompted me to go through all of my work desk drawers, and that search yielded THESE:

tix.jpg

I know that there are myriad others in drawers at home, and in the pockets of various coats and bags. Not that fussed about getting them all in one place - I quite enjoy putting on a coat for the first time in months / years and finding one!

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
I've got hundreds of football tickets from games I've been to. It's a bit sad but inevitable that we are going digital...end of an era...

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I LOVE looking through old gig tickets. Sadly I'm missing my earliest gigs - lost in a house move or two - but ensure that even if I don't have a physical ticket I print off and keep the PDF tickets, and worst comes to the worst, the ticket confirmation email. I have hundreds from over the years, mainly gigs but more recently, loads of comedians too. I've got the odd match ticket still but never thought to keep the normal, run of the mill matches and more recently, most of my programmes have moved to pastures new.

What gets me are the gigs which I have no recollection of - or sketchy memories of at the very least. I went to Oasis in Knebworth in 1992 but I can vaguely remember a brief bit of The Prodigy but other than that, nothing!

With physical tickets becoming a dying breed, all the nostalgia possibilities are similarly dying... very sad. We pay enough in booking fees etc., so we should have 'em!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I've got two scrapbooks of gig tickets and a small box stuffed with more recent gig and sports tickets. I love them.
Absolute treasure trove of memories. Even got my GnR £3.75 (student discount) cinema style ticket from the marquee in 1987.

I've been thinking about framing some of the more notable ones in a collage and get them up on the wall. I think the last actual gig ticket I got was Taylor Swift on the Rep tour. I think my favourite ticket is a Ramones at Brixton featuring a picture of Joey wielding the Gabba Gabba Hey placard. Ironically that was a gig I was spectacularly drunk at so memories are somewhat patchy from the day itself.

I miss the physical tickets.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I keep hold of my paper tickets but I’m not bothered if I don’t get one and even less so about their ultimate demise. I think I prefer the ease of the digital version. I do find it somewhat odd that we have to wait for the Albion to send out digital tickets close to the match day (or is that just for away matches ?). When I buy tickets at Tranmere I get the ticket confirmation e Mail as soon as I have bought and can upload straightaway to my digital wallet. That’s also the case for NPL games where all clubs in the Prem use the same Kaizen technology.
Back on topic I always keep my match programme as a souvenir of the day but would much prefer just a teamsheet/scorecard like at the cricket as storage is becoming tricky.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
This is an option if you want one made:

I did this for our first ever European home game and framed the stubs.

As much as there are gaps in stubs and electronic tickets theses days, I downloaded the Futbology app
And went into a rabbit hole for a few days crossing off all of the games I’ve been to since 1996. In the end it was quite satisfying to log it all with 90 grounds ticked off and over 400 games.

had to research on google a couple of away game outcomes to get the correct year, one being a random mid week cup game vs Middlesboro!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've got two scrapbooks of gig tickets and a small box stuffed with more recent gig and sports tickets. I love them.
Absolute treasure trove of memories. Even got my GnR £3.75 (student discount) cinema style ticket from the marquee in 1987.

I've been thinking about framing some of the more notable ones in a collage and get them up on the wall. I think the last actual gig ticket I got was Taylor Swift on the Rep tour. I think my favourite ticket is a Ramones at Brixton featuring a picture of Joey wielding the Gabba Gabba Hey placard. Ironically that was a gig I was spectacularly drunk at so memories are somewhat patchy from the day itself.

I miss the physical tickets.
Given what you’ve recently posted in different threads I reckon we must have been to quite a few of the same gigs. As a teen I saw most of the rock and metal bands you can name between mid to very late 80s. Me and my mates were at the Hammersmith Odeon seemingly every few weeks or so seeing someone. I usually got the tickets…a cheque and a SAE to their very own box office. How quaint. Went to plenty of other venues as well.

I remember that GnR gig but didn’t go.

Regarding your Ramones ticket I had one as well, it was black with Joey and the placard made out in white. I say “made out” as it wasn’t a perfect photo, more an image, if you get my drift. I can remember sticking it on the wall of a particular student house I was living in which dates the gig as 1990 I think.

Sadly I lost most of the tickets from this era during one of my many moves.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know that there are myriad others in drawers at home, and in the pockets of various coats and bags. Not that fussed about getting them all in one place - I quite enjoy putting on a coat for the first time in months / years and finding one!
I once remember going out for the night and the Frau put her winter coat on and found a half finished small bottle of wine in the pocket 👀

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Most (biggish) gigs these you can buy a souvenir ticket stub. Another way to milk some more money out of punters.
It's usually a few quid for this then they add a crazy amount for P&P...this whole process can add getting on for another tenner to the price of the show.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I’ve only got two tickets. The Cup Final and replay, and that’s only because I’ve tucked them in the programme,
…..having said that, funny enough I just found 2 randoms in a drawer. I wasn’t the only Brighton fan at this Barcelona v Cadiz (2-0) match about twenty years ago, I bumped into a bunch of Albion lads (some of them follow Ireland) They were en route as well.
The Ferencevaros v Gyor match was grim, it was at the old stadium and it wasn’t much better than Withdean, nice floodlights though. Freezing cold last minute goal was the only one of the match.
I think I’ve got the Peacehaven v Bognor 2014 SSC final somewhere.

IMG_3437.jpeg

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Given what you’ve recently posted in different threads I reckon we must have been to quite a few of the same gigs. As a teen I saw most of the rock and metal bands you can name between mid to very late 80s. Me and my mates were at the Hammersmith Odeon seemingly every few weeks or so seeing someone. I usually got the tickets…a cheque and a SAE to their very own box office. How quaint. Went to plenty of other venues as well.

I remember that GnR gig but didn’t go.

Regarding your Ramones ticket I had one as well, it was black with Joey and the placard made out in white. I say “made out” as it wasn’t a perfect photo, more an image, if you get my drift. I can remember sticking it on the wall of a particular student house I was living in which dates the gig as 1990 I think.

Sadly I lost most of the tickets from this era during one of my many moves.
Ha! We probably did go to the same gigs. I can remember sending cheques for tickets too, and heaven forfend actually queuing at the Box Office for tickets, those front row Maiden, Ozzy and Dio tickets weren't going to buy themselves.

Shame you lost the tickets, I have so many great memories wrapped up in them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ha! We probably did go to the same gigs. I can remember sending cheques for tickets too, and heaven forfend actually queuing at the Box Office for tickets, those front row Maiden, Ozzy and Dio tickets weren't going to buy themselves.

Shame you lost the tickets, I have so many great memories wrapped up in them.
Another reason for it being a shame is that my memory is a little sketchy of some of the gigs. Sometimes a Google to see who the support band was triggers the memory, metal and rock gigs often had a 'name' support band, but sometimes not. One example is Slayer. I saw their first show in the UK at the Marquee. I also remember seeing them on South of Heaven as I bought a sweatshirt which sticks in my memory......but cannot remember seeing them on Reign in Blood. I must have gone, why wouldnt I?, but nothing jogs my memory.

I also saw Maiden (Somewhere in Time tour), Ozzy (Ultimate Sin) and Dio (Sacred Heart) at Hammersmith. Think my favourite was Metallica on MoP tour; awesome stuff. I saw Motley Crue (with Cheap Trick on ToP tour) on Valentines day and was standing right in front of Nikki Sixx. I remember thinking he looked a bit odd and his eyes were really red and he kept rolling his eyeballs. Decades later I read The Dirt and he mentioned this specific gig and shooting up a load of heroin before going on stage.....which explains everything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here