Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The demise of Rolls Royce as a style icon

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
SUV, Sports Utility Vehicle my arse. Try getting your bike or kayak on top of these vehicles after tired after a long ride or paddle, stick to a low slung estate, unless you need to parade around your local tennis, golf club etc....

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I have lusted after a Maserati for years and some are “relatively” cheap now. I go into a cold sweat thinking about potential maintenance costs though. I have heard some real horror stories and they don’t hold their price either. Alfa maintenance is cheap as chips in comparison and they aren’t cheap!
Indeed. I have an A5, don't do many miles, as I drive a van for work, so the running costs are very low. It would be just a status symbol I guess, they just look so good for the money.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Feck me I have just seen pictures of the new Rolls Royce Cullinan. What a pig ugly lump of shite. I don’t care how fast it goes or how luxurious it is I am just astounded that a car maker that used to have so much style can turn out something like this. I guess Brits have very little influence over the German owners these days. The decline in style has been gradual over the years but this is the now the pits imo :shrug:

View attachment 118586

At £275k a pop, an ugly, expensive, "look at meeeeee" piece of crap.

Wtf does this actually mean:

“Our answer to history, to the visionaries, adventurers, explorers and those who believe in the supremacy of liberty is the Rolls-Royce Cullinan,” CEO Torsten Müller Ötvös declaims. “It dramatically evolves the parameters of super-luxury travel. It is effortless, everywhere.”

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
****ing hideous. Saw it on Top Gear where it got royally (and rightly) slagged off.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Cullinan?

Is that Scottish for a lady's undercarriage? ???

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Feck me I have just seen pictures of the new Rolls Royce Cullinan. What a pig ugly lump of shite. I don’t care how fast it goes or how luxurious it is I am just astounded that a car maker that used to have so much style can turn out something like this. I guess Brits have very little influence over the German owners these days. The decline in style has been gradual over the years but this is the now the pits imo :shrug:

View attachment 118586

View attachment 118587

I know someone who works there. Prices start at around 280k for the basic model raising to around 400k for all the trimmings. The order book is swamped for these with 60k plus and rising. Not sure how a car can cost that much

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
On the other hand RR aircraft [jet] engines [civilian and military] are still top dog ...
As are the RR nuclear-powered submarine engines ....

Completely different ownership to Rolls Royce cars though I believe? Rolls Royce cars are German owned

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Completely different ownership to Rolls Royce cars though I believe? Rolls Royce cars are German owned

Yes BMW bought Rolls Royce PLC to become Rolls Royce Motor Cars Ltd in 1998 - the factory is based at Goodwood.

My post was aligning to the point that RR has historically been synonymous with quality but thanks to BMW intervention, that's no longer the case in the automobile world.
But other RR products do still remain global market leaders in quality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here