Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The 'Dambusters' raid, 75 years ago today (and tomorrow).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:
Mate of mine years ago as a surprise had bought a poster of the dambusters film knowing he was at a wedding where Richard Todd would be there. Was going to ask him to autograph knowing how much I’d treasure. Alas the acclaimed actor and war hero fell ill and wasn’t able to attend, and then sadly died.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Mate of mine years ago as a surprise had bought a poster of the dambusters film knowing he was at a wedding where Richard Todd would be there. Was going to ask him to autograph knowing how much I’d treasure. Alas the acclaimed actor and war hero fell ill and wasn’t able to attend, and then sadly died.
That's a shame for yr mate :thumbsup:
How are you doing?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That's a shame for yr mate :thumbsup:
How are you doing?
‘Oooop north. Way ooooop north. So far north I could easily sneak over to watch the Albion tomorrow. But need to get home instead. Shame but hey ho.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The best way to mark it would be to save RAF Scampton from the clutches of the Home Office and their developers

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I guess then interpersonal skills aren't the necessary traits in war time.
You can imagine todays selection criteria, during a time of national emergency:

Daring - tick
Leader - tick
Lucky - tick
Methodical - tick
Courageous - tick
Intelligent - tick
Willing to lay down life - tick
In the 1% - tick
Disagree on use of pronouns - cross!

FAILED. We don’t need his kind…

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Anything to say about the raid other than political?
As Al Murray said on the previously mentioned WeHave Ways pod, one of the great achievements in flight, up there with the moon landings and the Weright brothers. The story of the raid is fascinating and I’d urge everyone to give this week’s podcasts a listen for the full background (today’s detailing the background of the week leading up to the raids was particularly fascinating).

James Holland also has some views about RAF Scampton BTW, what’s happened so far is outrageous and we still don’t know what those contractors have done with the contents of Guy Gibson’s office which was in the museum at the site.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
As Al Murray said on the previously mentioned WeHave Ways pod, one of the great achievements in flight, up there with the moon landings and the Weright brothers. The story of the raid is fascinating and I’d urge everyone to give this week’s podcasts a listen for the full background (today’s detailing the background of the week leading up to the raids was particularly fascinating).

James Holland also has some views about RAF Scampton BTW, what’s happened so far is outrageous and we still don’t know what those contractors have done with the contents of Guy Gibson’s office which was in the museum at the site.
Couldn't help yourself could you.........;)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Would be great to hear from some of the NSC old guard who were there.

You know, like the 'Half-time at Hereford...' thread.

Come on - I know you're out there.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I value the history enough to want it preserved.
An argument for another day perhaps, instead of a day of celebration of men, machines and pure inspiration? By the way I don't disagree with you. For today separate the issues. It's easy. :kiss:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
My Dad was in the RAF shortly after the war (pay corps - never got hands on a plane) but a few years before he died we were at a cricket match and he said "that's a Lancaster". Nothing to be seen in the sky, but there were clouds about. And in next day's paper, sure enough, it was reported that a Lancaster had flown over on its way home from an air show. They must have been distinctive.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Today we decry the Russians for their killing of innocent civilians in the Ukraine. Someone pointed out on here that around 1600 men , women and children died when the dams were bombed . Nobody cared at the time and it seems that few care today.
I respect the bravery of those who took part who , at the time , did what they thought was right .But today I find it appalling,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here