Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The daily 'points required' thread....

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I said "almost the same form"... I find it sobering and exciting in turns that we are very unlikely to ever get "clear" in second place. We will need to maintain almost the same level of point gathering achieved so far.

I certainly hope we don't end up needing a point at Villa...!!

We all hope that!

What the graphic I posted shows is that we could drop 5 points compared with our form over the first 20 games, and still have 92 points which most agree would guarantee Top 2. Personally, I think 90 will be enough this year.

PG

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We all hope that!

What the graphic I posted shows is that we could drop 5 points compared with our form over the first 20 games, and still have 92 points which most agree would guarantee Top 2. Personally, I think 90 will be enough this year.

PG

As many as 90?! I really can't see any team other than Newcastle or us getting more than 85 points from where we are now.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
As many as 90?! I really can't see any team other than Newcastle or us getting more than 85 points from where we are now.
Burnley got to 90pts last year from P20 Pts 35 GD +7...

Derby are currently P20 Pts 32 GD +7...

Perfectly feasible they could get to 90pts this year.

I reckon we need 88 plus or minus one or two...!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Loving that there is still a bit of relegation red by Leeds.

Fantastic chart btw
My favourite bit is the almost invisible amount for Villa to be top 2. Jars with my instinct based on them being one of the strongest teams seen at The Amex - but I suppose they are a long way behind so I'll believe it to be true. :)

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Blimey that is mental. Derby still have a 1% chance of relegation and we are only 1% less likely than the Toons to go up. We also appear to have less chance of missing out on the playoffs than the Toon. How come we are still under the radar?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
After a request from warmleyseagull here it is the daily "points required" thread...

20 games in 42 points achieved I think we need just 8 more points to be sure of safety and with 26 games left that is an average of just 0.1025641 per game well within our grasp...

What say you ?

OMG, fame at last...! Well, let me say to all my fans out there how happy and proud I am that a thread has been started all for me. I think it only right and proper in this proud moment that others take the stage.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
How has the chart been calculated / derived?

Anyhow it does all look good - hope our blip isn't too bad

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Over the last 6 seasons, the mean (average) is 87 points for second place. 45 points from remaining 26 games! EASY

The mean is possibly not the best measure statistically as it is weighted by the odd season when Hull came 2nd with 79. The median is arguably better, which is 88.5, not that it makes much difference..... For the record, in reverse order the 2nd place points for last 6 are: 89, 89,93,79,88,84.

Now can we get on to whether the 2nd place points is the correct way to look at it, or whether you just need one more than the 3rd place team? Where's Trigaar?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
This will probably be about right (within a point or two).

A little sobering that our excellent start to the season will count for nothing if we do not keep up almost the same form until the end...

Not really 45pts from 21 games = 2.14pts per game x 46 = 98 pts, and I think we'd be safe with that

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Not sure I entirely follow that chart. How are Newcastle more likely to make the top 2 than us, yet also more likely to miss out on the top 6?

Probably due to having 'tougher' fixtures left as opposed to us, I guess it makes a difference over several thousand iterations.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
How has the chart been calculated / derived?

Anyhow it does all look good - hope our blip isn't too bad

It's based on the 'expected goals rating' that the author uses for his modelling. He explains it on his site but in brief, it is a combination of the quantity, type and quality of shots a team tends to take, and how often those types of shots tends to go in, in general. So it's prioritising 1-on-1 attempts against the keeper much more than 30 yard speculative shots, penalties have the highest expected goal rating, but if your team has a lot of it's goals from penalties (like Reading) then actually the model will assume that can't be sustainable. All of that is aligned against the number of shots that opponents tend to get against your team and how often they score those shots, plus the type of shots, etc etc. Ultimately he ends with a rating for attack and defence and then a blended rating, which he calls the 'e rating'.

The chart is then created by running thousands of match simulations for each team (some sort of monte carlo simulation I guess, if that means anything to you), against their remaining opponents and then plotting the results out to form a 'possible' set of results for every single match. 90% of the time we get top two, according to the latest. It changes of course, but if you go back and look at last year it was much tighter at the top and he wasn't far off.

I like his charts showing attacking and defensive strength - Derby were hilarious after 8 or 9 games. I think they needed around a trillion shots for every goal - he was reporting though that they would come good, as over the course of a season, that many consistent shots are going to start coming good. Conversely, he's been saying that our attacking threat has been dipping quite worryingly as we hasn't been getting many quality chances off, although we were still winning so the difference was just a bit of clinical finishing saving us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here